Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How to conclude the never-ending Spike's crush on Rarity?

Sepul-Coloratura

I find this kind of issue struggles throughout many kinds of storytelling in general. Like how many series deals with romantic development throughout time.

This has been an issue sine day one of MLP. I'm sure there were many discussions about this.

There are few most common ways in fanfics concluding this issue by shipping them, but I'm not curious of who would be shipped, but how. Will he confess and get rejected? Will he just move on?

Let's consider this as if it was told through one (or few) canon TV show episode. How it would be dealt? Would there be an episode concluding this ever going dragged out crush of him? (I think it is way more important than giving him wings. and of course it's more difficult to write) How it would be a good story and also a good lesson? (I don't like how they just slowly diminished the issue of Scootaloo's inability of not flying by just nuancing throughout several seasons rather than putting it upfront and write a story exclusively about her dealing with it. The Washouts feels like a wasred opportunity.) They made a romance episode of Big Mac, so it's not impossible.

If the show would do it, how should it be done? Is there any good ideas of your own? Or any good examples of similar situations in any cartoons, shows, comics, novels etc.?

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

In fanfiction, this deserves development.

In the cartoon, i think it's best if it is kept as a running joke (that I don't like) or is completely dropped. I don't think that cartoon can conclude on it satisfactorily, and the only way it COULD do it, would be with Spike growing out of it, having a heartfelt conversation with Rarity, and them Rarity complimenting for growing up. And then drop it entirely.

• Brohoof 2

Well I think something like what Gravity Falls did with Dipper's unrequited crush on Wendy, would be a good way to resolve Spike's crush on Rarity

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 2

Best way I see the cartoon dealing with it while still maintaining its tone would be to have a different character develop/admit to a crush on Spike, and as they spend more time together Spike realizes he has a better chance with her than Rarity. Eventually they hook up while Spike and Rarity maintain their aunt-nephew type friendship and silently drop the issue. 

Perhaps it's not melodramatically satisfying but I'd rather it be handled that way than deal with 22 minutes of angst and discomfort. It's a thorny situation as it is.

Edited by n1029
  • Brohoof 1

Spoiler
1 minute ago, BornAgainBrony said:

Could he be anymore blunt than he was in "Best Gift Ever?" She didn't say "yes," but... she didn't say "no" either...

If the show seriously thinks that would be it, and thinking they dealt with that issue, I would be disappointed. Worse than not doing it at all.

30 minutes ago, DonMaguz said:

As any childhood crush on a teacher, with the child growing out of it.

I expect this would be the most possible way, but even the obvious subjects can be told in interesting ways. I'm curious how they would pull it off.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Sepul-Coloratura said:
  Hide contents

If the show seriously thinks that would be it, and thinking they dealt with that issue, I would be disappointed. Worse than not doing it at all.

I think it's safe to say that the cat is out of the bag though, at least. If Rarity hasn't figured it out by now, she never will. My guess is she's now at the point of trying to decide what to do about it.

19 minutes ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I expect this would be the most possible way, but even the obvious subjects can be told in interesting ways. I'm curious how they would pull it off.

They... may have backed themselves into a corner somewhat here. Both have the possibility of sending a negative message. I'm sure it's been heavily discussed. The soci-political/moral implications of inter-species relationships is normally a topic reserved for crtitical-thinking sci-fi shows, but FiM has dared to wade in that brook repeatedly.

On the one hand, putting the two of them in a relationship will probably send some of the conservative viewers into a tizzy, similar to the reaction that the School of Friendship got in the first place. "Oh here goes Hollywood again, pushing diversity."

But if Spike were to just "outgrow" it, I have a couple of problems with that. First, it's just a terrible way to end it. Spike/Rarity is literally the longest running subplot in the entire series that hasn't had a resolution. At the very least, such a thing would have to happen only AFTER Spike got what he wanted. They go on a date and Spike realizes they aren't actually that compatible; it's not at all like what he had cooked up in his imagination. One thing they definitely DON'T want to do though is send a message that there would be anything wrong with the relationship, less viewers come away with a "stick to your own kind" undertone. Not only would that be a very bad lesson to teach, but it'd also be a huge slap in the face to every fan who has had a crush on any character.

Edited by BornAgainBrony
  • Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, BornAgainBrony said:

I think it's safe to say that the cat is out of the bag though, at least. If Rarity hasn't figured it out by now, she never will. My guess is she's now at the point of trying to decide what to do about it.

I'm not a kind of guy who demands Applejack's parent's autopsy reports to figure out how they died, but I wish these issues were more clearly on the face and dealt more prominently, fully utilizes the subject to tell an interesting story. Several best episodes of MLP revolves around those two's relationship.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, BornAgainBrony said:

They... may have backed themselves into a corner somewhat here. Both have the possibility of sending a negative message. I'm sure it's been heavily discussed. The soci-political/moral implications of inter-species relationships is normally a topic reserved for crtitical-thinking sci-fi shows, but FiM has dared to wade in that brook repeatedly.

On the one hand, putting the two of them in a relationship will probably send some of the conservative viewers into a tizzy, similar to the reaction that the School of Friendship got in the first place. "Oh here goes Hollywood again, pushing diversity."

But if Spike were to just "outgrow" it, I have a couple of problems with that. First, it's just a terrible way to end it. Spike/Rarity is literally the longest running subplot in the entire series that hasn't had a resolution. At the very least, such a thing would have to happen only AFTER Spike got what he wanted. They go on a date and Spike realizes they aren't actually that compatible; it's not at all like what he had cooked up in his imagination. One thing they definitely DON'T want to do though is send a message that there would be anything wrong with the relationship, less viewers come away with a "stick to your own kind" undertone.

I think the political part isn't the issue because they had it since day 1. (literally since they introduced Rarity.) Not like suddenly revealing something all along after the series passed. It has a proper context and the storytelling was the No.1 priority there. The reason School of Friendship criticized by it was because it failed to tell a good story and having a political statement was involved in it in a not so subtle way.

Either they do it or not, I wish they don't do it like how they gave Spike wings (just for the sake of doing it and not for telling a good story, but to wipe it out of an old long wishlist as a fan service). I think MLP isn't very good at planning and concluding a story arc bigger than one or two episodes.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, BornAgainBrony said:

I think that she has known since S1, just like all the mane 6 it's just THAT obvious, and that her decision was made ages ago. That's why she's supportive and caring of him, but never touches the subject directly. That's exactly how an adult reacts because the situation is a awkward when it happens to you, and only do something about it if you're seeing things going out of control (like the child becoming obsessive ot a stalker).

Spike has been shown to have a tendency to such behaviour (Honest Apple, Best Gift Ever), but fortunately has never crossed the line and I really hope he never does, he doesn't deserve to become obsessed over his crush.

• Brohoof 1

46 minutes ago, DonMaguz said:

I think that she has known since S1, just like all the mane 6 it's just THAT obvious, and that her decision was made ages ago. That's why she's supportive and caring of him, but never touches the subject directly. That's exactly how an adult reacts because the situation is a awkward when it happens to you, and only do something about it if you're seeing things going out of control (like the child becoming obsessive ot a stalker).

Spike has been shown to have a tendency to such behaviour (Honest Apple, Best Gift Ever), but fortunately has never crossed the line and I really hope he never does, he doesn't deserve to become obsessed over his crush.

I think that's the most natural thing to happen, but I just don't like how the show doesn't focus on this issue while constantly using it as a running gag because it's a vary important thing to the character. If this just is for the running gag and not using it for making a good episode (Secret of My Excess, Inspiration Manifestation), that's just lazy and even lame to see those moments thrown in the scene every time.

I think Spike should just grow out of it and think that it'd probably wouldn't work.

I mean, I wouldn't care if thy would be together (Honestly, if Spike was older) but I think it's for the best for Spike to move on and get a good girlfriend for himself.:mustache:

6 hours ago, BornAgainBrony said:

But if Spike were to just "outgrow" it, I have a couple of problems with that. First, it's just a terrible way to end it. Spike/Rarity is literally the longest running subplot in the entire series that hasn't had a resolution. At the very least, such a thing would have to happen only AFTER Spike got what he wanted. They go on a date and Spike realizes they aren't actually that compatible; it's not at all like what he had cooked up in his imagination. One thing they definitely DON'T want to do though is send a message that there would be anything wrong with the relationship, less viewers come away with a "stick to your own kind" undertone. Not only would that be a very bad lesson to teach, but it'd also be a huge slap in the face to every fan who has had a crush on any character.

Sparity isn't a subplot so much as a very long running gag. The show hasn't shown much interest in depicting a serious perspective from Rarity on it; even though she's clearly been aware of it at least since The Secret of My Excess. 

Inter-species isn't the issue so much as their complete lack of compatibility. Spike hasn't given much thought to what having Rarity as his girlfriend would actually entail on a day-to-day basis. Their personalities, interests and ambitions are almost entirely at odds with each other. Sometimes I feel like the writers intentionally had him crush on the pony he has the least chemistry with just so no parents would send angry letters about shipping a child.

But that's why I also think the best way to conclude that narrative would be to have someone else confess to crushing on Spike. I can't say who for sure, but there are a bunch of characters in the show who could convincingly pull off an "I had a crush on him for years but didn't want to risk pushing him away" story thread. Let both him and Rarity move on from it without bogging the show down with any hard feelings between them.

Edited by n1029
  • Brohoof 2