Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

CloudMistDragon's Drawings

Misty Shadow

• 3 months later...

Sign the yaoi you bigots. 

dd7s0ev-9082100d-4849-4d8a-9783-f9be77c3

I don't sincerely ship the two, but I fully support gay shippings. This was drawn for my upcoming comedy story...have fun speculating the premise. :umad:

• Brohoof 3

• 2 months later...

Started drawing on Paint Tool SAI recently and this was the result. 

king_sombra__first_paint_tool_sai_drawin

I want to start drawing more professionally, closer to show-quality art eventually, so if you're into that field, please share any tips you may have. 

• Brohoof 4

I feel these two I recently did came out good. 

ddeb9ix-ae7903db-fb25-4588-8f18-3ae631af

ddekist-7b3fb02a-fad6-4da8-81f1-4690c2fe

I know I've already drawn them before, but the main reason I've been kind of stuck on them is because I want to make really good art of them eventually. 

• Brohoof 7

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

whats your tool for drawing? mouse? tablet?

sai got a pretty useful tool for either mouse and tablet, it can help you with your linearts.

Spoiler

oLy4Qcv.png

with this, you just click around and the line bend itself in perfect shape :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 2

22 hours ago, Usager said:

whats your tool for drawing? mouse? tablet?

sai got a pretty useful tool for either mouse and tablet, it can help you with your linearts.

Hide contents

oLy4Qcv.png

with this, you just click around and the line bend itself in perfect shape :mlp_icwudt:

Thank you very much, I love constructive feedback. :D 

I also recently got my hands on Photoshop and experimented with it by touching up my Paul Peoples drawing. 

https://www.deviantart.com/cloudmistdragon/art/Paul-Peoples-Redux-Photoshop-Shade-827980199

paul_peoples_redux__photoshop_shade__by_

• Brohoof 3

• 2 months later...
(edited)

Three months later, here we are. 

https://www.deviantart.com/cloudmistdragon/art/Cloud-Shroud-Walking-835612793

cloud_shroud_walking_by_cloudmistdragon_

I've also drawn Venoct from Yo-Kai Watch and Jack Frost from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. 

https://www.deviantart.com/cloudmistdragon/art/Venoct-Drawing-Remake-828908624

https://www.deviantart.com/cloudmistdragon/art/Jack-Frost-Shin-Megami-Tensei-Nocturne-Drawing-833025085

Edited by CloudMistDragon
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

@CloudMistDragon Nice art! Very unique.

I saw you are using Photoshop. The thing you should work the most with are the layers:
_P1.png
When you start a new document, you might see a lock where the green arrow points at. This indicates the document has no transparency to it. You might want to change that by holding the left Alt key down and left double clicking with your mouse over the lock icon. If you plan to have a solid background, you can leave it. Each new layer will have transparency to them anyways, so it only affects the background layer.

The red arrow points to the layer blending mode. While you use this for shading and lightning effects, you can always remember the "Multiply" setting, which make black turn into outlines, and white turn into transparency, if you have scanned an image with black outlines on a white paper.

From here on I use spoiler tags, since my art shouldn't be visible in your art thread:

Spoiler

Create a new layer, and select it. Draw an outline in any color you like. It doesn't have to be black. Sometimes it is easier for your eyes to draw with some other color, to see the contrast better. I am just using blue as an example:
_P2.png

The green arrow points to the lock modes of the selected layer. The first one is the transparency, which we are going to use next.

By clicking on the icon "Lock transparent pixels", you can now color any part of the outline in any color you like, using any of the tools, like the brush:
_P3.png

This only affects the selected layer. Any thickness of the outline, or anything drawn, semi-transparent or not, will take the color of your brush. I choose black because I can remove black more easily while filling. Make sure you notice the green arrow again, and the icon is selected, as well as the lock appearing on the layer called "Layer 2".

Duplicate the outline layer (you can find the way to duplicate in the Layer menu, or any short cuts that exists within the program). The top layer should be the outline layer, so that any flood fill, or any other form of painting will go behind the outlines at all times. The layer below (the original layer before duplication) has the black outlines as well, but those you need to take care of, but before that, use them to fill as much as possible using flood fill. Paint the rest with a brush. Photoshop is a lot of manual work:
_P4.png

While flood filling affects the neighboring pixels, their transparency and look, they are only destroyed in the fill layer (called "Layer 2" here), since we duplicated the outlines into a new layer (called "Layer 2 copy"). The weird icon in "Layer 2" tells that I have changed a layer settings to remove black levels, to get rid of broken outlines (only visually).
The background color has been changed to look at potential wholes in the drawing, to see what needs to be filled in manually.

When everything has been filled, the original outline can be recolored into anything, by locking transparent pixels again:
_P6.png

There are many ways to draw. Some are faster. Some are better. The key ingredients is to know what layer you are on, and how to use the most out of that layer before destroying it.

Photoshop will always complain if you try to do something in the wrong layer. It is also easy to draw into the wrong layer by mistake, and completely ruin the drawing. Before changing your task, to either draw outlines, or fill, make sure you switch the layer. Even if you take a few seconds extra to make sure you are in the right layer before continue, you save a lot of headache for later. Also regularly back up save, so in case you do draw in the wrong layer for an extended time, and cannot undo, you can go back to an earlier version of your drawing.

Edited by Super Splashee
Fixed the spoiler tag
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...