Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Do You Watch My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic?

Venomous

Why do you watch MLP:FiM?

I have heard various reasons for watching the show, from the characters helping people feel less lonely, people appreciating its lessons, to it just being an overall good show. What’s your reason?

• Brohoof 1

I could go on and on explaining in precise details why I watch the show and why I enjoy it so much. 

But, so ya'll don't get bored I'll keep it short and sweet. 

Overall there are 4 reasons why I watch the show: 

1. It's an escape from the mundane reality that is life. It sounds depressing but being able to escape to a world of peace, friendship and adventure after a long day of dealing with, well, idiots XD 

2. Considering the show's original target demographic;

• The show is Incredibly well written
  • Characters are incredibly well developed- i love how the mane 6 are learning friendship lessons along with the audience, it makes me feel closer to them, ya know?
  • The design is colourful and friendly to the eye
  • The story plots are enticing, providing a blend of adventure, happiness, sadness etc 

3. Episodes that stand out above not just other FiM episodes but other TV shows such as The Perfect Pear or a Slice of life 

4. The fandom (Thats you guys!) 

The fandom to me is like a family. We're all so different yet our opinions on the show bring us together. I can say for certain I have made friends for life on here!

(I said I was keeping it short... Guess I got carried away! :mlp_yeehaa:)

• Brohoof 1

It's a decent show which I'd like to stick with until the end as I don't like leaving things uncompleted.. my opinions overall on the show is neutral.. also I don't watch a lot of shows so it's not hard to watch an ep

It's a well-made show with great characters, nice animation and it's quality is fairly consistent even after all these seasons. It doesn't rely on fart jokes and off-color humor, and I like its innocence. 

There are a lot of shows that have a cast of 'types' but they're usually just churned-out junk with pretty flimsy writing. But the ponies are very well defined and have a voice cast that really elevates it above and beyond. When I watch it, it seems like a real world to me populated by real pastel ponies with lives that matter to me. 

• Brohoof 2

Friendship is Magic has a lot of great talent work done in many, if not every, aspects.

The characters, both primary and secondary and even antagonistics, are extremely well written and unique on their own, coupled with memorable cast and voice acting.

Animation, models and backgrounds still improving ever since. The difference between S1 animation [which often re-use the same models] and S8 is stunning.

The music goes way beyond simple sound and instead captures the mood and feelings in each moment, and the songs are worth to listen to.

It may look like a kid's show and it may have its own downs... but you can see it is a show made with heart, passion and care.

after seeing all the amazing fanmade content i decided to see what inspired it all, i thought i'd see a few episodes and that'd be it, and here i am, finished it all, and eagerly waiting for more, 

• Brohoof 2

Why do I watch it duh I'm 20% cooler like rainbowdash  perhaps my other friend Derpy Hooves will make you some muffins sometime ! Another reason I also watch it I'm fascinated with all the mythology creatures I've never heard of like what or where does the bugbear come from ? I had to look up the origen  for the weird but creepy looking Kiren's comes to find out their from a old wise tale in China a hybrid deer like dragon creature !

I watch the show because the light heart, yet surprisingly well and passionate execution of the show, help with feelings of loneliness and depression. The show is a great stress and anger relief for me. I really got hooked into the show when I saw how large and creative the fandom is. I truly wish to see the fandom live on in some form once the show must sadly and inevitably end.

Friendship is Magic has had a huge impact on my life. It was different in it's own way from everything else I have ever watched. The writing of it's complex story, the amazing soundtrack, the great animation, but most of all, the unique, fascinating and interesting characters, both secondary and primary. I mean, just look at Twilight Sparkle. At first, she never knew the first thing about friendship, let alone cared about it. But look at her now, the Princess of Friendship, thanks to friends who believed in her.

I guess what is important to us all about the show is the main lesson. This show has helped me, and probably hundreds of others, learn more about friendship then we ever even realized. Just like Twilight, for all her smarts, she didn’t know anything about friendship, and now she literally rules at it along side her friends. Also, some of the episodes are quite comparable to me, like Hurricane Fluttershy. I find it amazing how a show could relate to me in so many ways and touch on more complicated topics. I personally believe that MLP: FiM is one of the best TV shows ever made. It really gave me something to live for. It has become iconic and legendary to the fandom to this day since 2010, and I, as well as many others, have high hopes for it's future.

Edited by Midnight Solace
  • Brohoof 3

In short, because it's fun. With how messed up real life can be, I love that I can always come back to a great show with interesting and loveable characters and laugh while I briefly forget about everything else going on in the world.

• Brohoof 2

The magical world that it is set in and the fun relatable characters. So much better then the drama fests or gritty realism of a lot of adult shows these days. 

• Brohoof 1

Good writing, good music, great, dynamic, relatable, charming characters, a strong female cast (which is surprisingly hard to find), and plus I have a strong feminine side and love cute and colorful things, so this show scratches that itch.  It's really hard to find anything that does that isn't dumb.  I've tried other cute shows, but I can't get into them because the characters are always flat, hollow, one-dimensional, and uninteresting.

On a more personal note, one of the big reasons I watch this show is the reason that Fry said Star Trek was so important to him on Futurama--when I'm all alone and have no friends, it makes me feel like somehow, in some stupid way, maybe I do.  And also, Star Trek makes me feel the same way.  But that's not cute and colorful.

Despite wanting to say something really smart and touching here, I guess the simple reason is...

It makes me feel good.

Yeah. That's it. And believe me, that is a big thing. Since escaping into world that isn't that depressing and lonely as real one is something I always need. The world of colorful ponies that learn about friendship is a great way to do so. Apart from that, the story is incredibly well written (especially considering the target audicence; though honestly I have a feeling that later seasons are more "mature" than earlier ones), it's fun and almost each episode has a good life lesson (I still pretend Yakity-Sax didn't happen lol). Characters are well-developed, and even though they appear somewhat one-dimentional at first glance they really are not, and it's amazing to see how far they've come so far. The stories are often multi-layered and some of the topics they touched are actually really deep and even dark (Luna's self-harm for instance). Animation is nice too.

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

...Because it's a good show. Enjoyable characters, fun and interesting stories and great animation.

Edited by Cash_In
  • Brohoof 2

As said, it is just a good show.    Personally, a lot of western cartoons are shallow minus a few nowadays that tell a good story and put real heart into what they are making.   You see this in MLP and also how they have had their characters grow,  even the side ones! And they explore good life lessons which also you don't see any more of sadly for younger people. 

• Brohoof 1

I honestly started watching it because of the music

I stayed after the first season because of Discord

And now I've watched all 8 seasons 3 times already.

Why do I keep doing this? It can't stop bringing a smile to my face :)

• 4 weeks later...

I started out via being curious about the show then stayed for the character interactions, interesting stories and the humor I found, both aimed at the kids and at the inevitable parents who would be roped into watching it with their kids. The show grew on me and I found myself throughly enjoying it and I still do.