Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Polar Vortex in the U.S.

ManaMinori

This is all over the news, and honestly, it makes me glad I'm in sunny California. I'd hate to go through this kind of thing. How are people handling this situation, if they live in the area that is impacted by the polar vortex?

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

10 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

Staying inside.

My pipes froze up for a bit but I'm blasting them with space heaters so there's no damage.

Also have to go run my car for a few minutes soon.

why are you going out in such weather?

Actually got rides to work these past few days. Folks were scared I'd get frost bitten. Dad kept a mini space heater on in the garage. 

We're kinda prepared for this sorta thing, having previously lived in Utquiaviq. Plus its not too different from winter in Wisconsin any ways.

The polar vortex did not make it down my way. Not a big surprise there. But it's ridiculous that it didn't even really get that cold here and people around here are still complaining about how cold it got (which wasn't much) and still posting memes that were clearly created for people up North.

God Oklahoma is so lame. It's amazing to think that in 2011 we actually had a polar vortex over us that knocked us well below 0 (rather staggering temperatures for this far down south, but it was much more short-lived than this time up North) yet somehow the people who complain about a high of 40 degrees survived it.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 2

Tbh I kinda wish I was there for it seeing some of the ways people were having fun with it. Extreme weather events like this fascinate me.

On 1/31/2019 at 8:11 AM, Nightmare Muffin said:

you mentioned having to warm up your car- I thought you were going somewhere. 

Probably for the same reason as warming up the pipes to prevent damage. Antifreeze can only go so far. A 1:1 mixture of antifreeze with water is the standard, resulting in a freezing point of about −34 °F. With the wind chill, it got quite a bit colder than that in some areas.

Edited by Twiggy

I wasn't in the direct area affected but my work had some space heaters on some pipes and left the water running because of the cold.  Definitely wasn't fun walking through it but I wasn't out for long, thank goodness.

• 2 months later...