Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Police pursuits

ManaMinori

There's seems to be one broadcast live every week, where I'm at. And each time. I find them idiotic to even have gotten started, no matter the reason. I know it's a fight or flight reaction for people who initiate these chases, and they don't want to face the music for their actions, but stil, they're just so stupid, and all end with them being caught anyway. 

However, it's also hard to look away, following the chase and hoping the idiots on the run don't hit anyone. Unfortunately, during the most recent chase I caught, the driver plowed head on, doing 80 or 90, into 3 cars at an intersection.

Thoughts on police pursuits?

I'm not a fan of that kind of reality 'entertainment.' These are dangerous situations and I don't find peoples' lives at risk to be entertaining. In a fictional TV show or movie, that's one thing. But this is for real and it isn't good. 

I understand that people can feel compelled to watch to see what the outcome will be, but that's the nature of it and the reason they get viewers to tune in. It's action, drama and suspense. The reality probably puts it over the top for some people tired of scripted TV. But as for me, I'll stick to something a little more low-key. 

The fact that they're going to be caught anyway is why they speed off in the first place. Most of these guys have warrants on them or they know that they're in violation of parole, so when the they get pulled over, it's already guaranteed that they'll be arrested, so before serving their time, they take a little joyride. Is it stupid? Sure, but they've made poor life choices in advance for this.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...
(edited)

In a real life situation it's dangerous and reckless. Save everyone the time and your own embarrassment by accepting being taken in otherwise they'll just stack charges on you to make it worse for you than it already is.

On the same side of the same token also, there's people who happily record themselves fleeing from police and saying it's "not real" and "just a video game" when it's super clear it's real life. They're the same people who will complain that the cops are not focusing on the real issues. but how can they when they're being taunted by idiots like that?

Do it in a video game, don't do it in real life please.

Edited by Trot Souffle
typo!!!!!!!!!!

As a person who’s been in three car accidents, two being the other persons fault and the other due to an issue with my car after it got “fixed”(happened same day I left the shop). I already have a lot of driving anxiety so I don’t care to watch police chases. I don’t need the extra horror stories for my brain to tell myself while I’m driving. Even if this wasn’t a thing I still wouldn’t watch them. I prefer to watch things that make me laugh or happy.