Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do schools suddenly hate recess

heavens-champion

Because they're tyrannical pieces of ****! It's not bad enough they drive students to the breaking point and pile homework on top of that. They gotta take away the only few moments of diversion kids can get out of that whole poisonous atmosphere. It's abuse of power, nothing more. 

• Brohoof 3

I've never even heard of this.  Why am I not surprised?  What a bunch of f*ck.

1 hour ago, Narcissus said:

Because they're tyrannical pieces of ****! It's not bad enough they drive students to the breaking point and pile homework on top of that. They gotta take away the only few moments of diversion kids can get out of that whole poisonous atmosphere. It's abuse of power, nothing more. 

I concur.  I wish schools would begin steering away from the Gulag model and more towards an environment that actually fosters learning and independence and makes kids want to learn.

Also, inb4 Rick Sanchez speech on school.

• Brohoof 3

Really? I'm not a fan of this idea, since kids need to have some sort of break between classes.

Edited by Kaibah
  • Brohoof 1

I actually want to point out that there isn't actually an epidemic of school districts hating recess, it's just been happening in the last few decades and people are becoming aware of it and its negative effects. In fact, seven states have actually gone ahead and forced school districts to require daily recess time (Massachusetts and Arizona are currently voting on it), while nine states recommend it. And some states are rather vague about it and only require "general activity", which only mandates that school districts have a certain amount of time dedicated physical activity per week. However, many states have no regulation regarding recess or physical activity time like Illinois or Georgia, meaning it is largely down to the decision-making of school districts. 

The reason why schools are cutting recess is related to academic performance – people already know that the American school system overall is falling behind, so schools districts are cutting recess time or even removing it entirely to spend more time learning and prepare for standardized tests (sounds a bit like Asian schools to me). However, pediatricians have pointed out that this has the opposite effect and actually causes a ton of developmental and psychological problems, and can also contribute to obesity. 

• Brohoof 1

I didn't really have what I'd call recess in middle school. Went from a big new playground to a cement and brick walled court yard. There was an under cover area where you could play basketball, but sometimes they took away ball privileges, and we originally had access to the field along with soccer balls, dodgeballs, frisbees, and jump ropes, but all of those got taken away. And before they did that, if you wanted to use any of those you had to hand over your School ID card, so it was very prison like. Most of the time we sat around, weren't even allowed in the library half the time and you couldn't play games on the computers. A fight broke out in the cafeteria once so they kept us all in there for a time. Funny when you think about it, because we had a different principal come in and they allowed more gang activity to take place even with all of these changes.

High School was much better, pretty much had the freedom to go wherever you wanted and although you weren't supposed to leave campus during lunch, it was lightly enforced.

I wasn't aware that that there had been any sort of change. All I know is in my area at least, Kids have seen a lot less school because they get shortened Fridays.

Meh, that’s more of a 1st world problem where kids are treated like cattle in their education system. Only they don’t get killed, but they do get themselves on that sweet sweet debt to cripple their livelihoods further. Guess students in school institutions have some things in common with animals in factories never getting any sunlight.

Meanwhile in some 3rd world countries they have recess and in some rare cases a Half-Day Friday. 3rd world problems: Racism, Bigotry, Ignorance, Disease, and People senselessly murdering/bullying each other for petty reasons.

• Brohoof 2

I feel like they give you more freedom in the high school years. But you still need to adopt for their crazy schedule. Locker(15m)---- class(45m),---- locker ----next class--- (etc, etc): lunch break (30m).

Edited by R.D.Dash

You know youre old when you think this is a good idea.

Hear me out: Kids today already sit in front of screens for more than 5 hours. If not they are usually outside playing.Schools ,at least in my area, go from 8am-2pm. Thats 6 hours. If kids can play Fortnite for hours on end, they can read a book or learn something practical besides flossing.

School does need to change how it teaches, but saying it should be banned makes no sense. How did you even learn to read or write? Kinesthetic learning wasnt a thing till 2009. Recess just enforces bad habits. Oh you studied for an hour? go play for 30 minutes.

I get the need for recess and playing for kids, however if you look at other countries you can see recess doesnt mean higher or lower scores or an impact on learning abilities. http://uwsslec.libguides.com/c.php?g=187028&p=1235659

(edited)
15 hours ago, ZethaPonderer said:

Meh, that’s more of a 1st world problem where kids are treated like cattle in their education system. Only they don’t get killed, but they do get themselves on that sweet sweet debt to cripple their livelihoods further. Guess students in school institutions have some things in common with animals in factories never getting any sunlight.

Meanwhile in some 3rd world countries they have recess and in some rare cases a Half-Day Friday. 3rd world problems: Racism, Bigotry, Ignorance, Disease, and People senselessly murdering/bullying each other for petty reasons.

What's your point?

6 hours ago, Rainbow Dash said:

You know youre old when you think this is a good idea.

Hear me out: Kids today already sit in front of screens for more than 5 hours. If not they are usually outside playing.Schools ,at least in my area, go from 8am-2pm. Thats 6 hours. If kids can play Fortnite for hours on end, they can read a book or learn something practical besides flossing.

School does need to change how it teaches, but saying it should be banned makes no sense. How did you even learn to read or write? Kinesthetic learning wasnt a thing till 2009. Recess just enforces bad habits. Oh you studied for an hour? go play for 30 minutes.

I get the need for recess and playing for kids, however if you look at other countries you can see recess doesnt mean higher or lower scores or an impact on learning abilities. http://uwsslec.libguides.com/c.php?g=187028&p=1235659

So you're saying Recess is bad?

By the way, I wasn't talking about school being banned.

Edited by heavens-champion

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...