Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming I miss the legit Paper Mario

Steve Piranha

Paper Mario is undoubtedly one of the most recognizable and loved Mario spin-off. Sadly, it has lost it’s way in recent years, with half-baked games that haven’t been received too well while at first it captivated with a more strategic JRPG gameplay and story of greater standard out of Mario games. I’ll leave some interesting videos on the matter

• Brohoof 1

I can only agree. I've played through the first two games multiple times, but I gave up a short time into the third. It's fortunate that the Mario & Luigi games have carried on the legacy of good Super Mario RPGs.

Thank god for speed up buttons, though. The tedious fetch quests and time wasters in both games (but especially the Thousand Year Door) are awful. The games are plenty long enough without them.

• 1 year later...

I've only ever played the one on Wii (Super Paper Mario, I think?), but from watching gameplay of the others I can see that the series has kinda deteriorated...it seems too focused on a central gimmick now? I don't know, but I'd love to get my hands on a copy of TTYD, it looks really fun!:yay:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So Nintendo just randomly dropped the announcement of a new Paper Mario on Twitter:

I don't know what to think of it yet. However, I will note that the rumors pointed toward a new Paper Mario in the classic style coming out this year, so hopefully it is more in the style of the first two games. It is a bit hard to tell from the trailer.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Envy said:

So Nintendo just randomly dropped the announcement of a new Paper Mario on Twitter:

I don't know what to think of it yet. However, I will note that the rumors pointed toward a new Paper Mario in the classic style coming out this year, so hopefully it is more in the style of the first two games. It is a bit hard to tell from the trailer.

I just saw that! I hope it’s good. I’ve never had the chance to play ANY Paper Mario, but I haven’t wanted to play the recent ones due to reactions from original fans of the series, and haven’t gotten around to buying the old ones.

1 hour ago, VG_Addict said:

Nintendo's tarnished a lot of their franchises with their decisions. They made Sticker Star and Color Splash, Other M and Federation Force, and Star Fox Zero.

This Paper Mario isn’t a return to norm, but doesn’t seems to be a return to the last two either. I’m cautious, but there’s hope that game will be at least excellent with it’s own identity, as Nintendo turned around from a massive dork age since WII

With origami as the Japanese art of paper folding, I hope this new game show some creative ways of presenting a Paper world. It's ucall Paper Mario so why not take full advantage of the fact they're made of paper to do something unique to that world that couldn't be done in the original Mario world.

I have not played or seen anything Paper Mario related. What game should I begin with? And which games should I be aware of? :ooh:

5 hours ago, Super Splashee said:

I have not played or seen anything Paper Mario related. What game should I begin with? And which games should I be aware of? :ooh:

Super Paper Mario. Then go for the original, and ThebThousand Year Door. You can skip the rest

• Brohoof 2

20 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

You can skip the rest

Lol, that is such a way of dissing the rest of the games:

Dear Nintendo user, you may skip this franchise :BrightMacContent:

(edited)
On 5/14/2020 at 4:41 PM, Super Splashee said:

On 5/14/2020 at 9:56 PM, Steve Piranha said:

Super Paper Mario. Then go for the original, and ThebThousand Year Door. You can skip the rest

IMO, just begin in release order: 64, TTYD, SPM, and maybe even Paper Jam (the closest to a true fourth entry, crossover or not).

And yeah, skip Sticker Star; but maybe rent Color Splash.

Edited by Antagonist
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Antagonist said:

IMO, just begin in release order: 64, TTYD, SPM, and even Paper Jam (crossover or not, it's the closest to a true fourth entry).

But yeah, skip Sticker Star; and Color Splash is an improvement, but not enough.

Nah, SPM first. Leave the best for last :fluttershy:

Super Paper Mario is really its own thing rather than a continuation of the style of the first two games. Much of the game is played as a 2D platformer rather than a 3D RPG.

But SPM doesn't detract from the overall quality of the first three games in the series. They're all fun. Sticker Star and Color Splash have decent gameplay too but they just aren't quite inventive enough, the side characters aren't memorable, and the storylines of the first three games made me expect something less basic and more fun than what we actually got.

I haven't played Paper Jam so I can't really form an opinion about that crossover, but the M&L RPGs are vastly superior to Sticker Star and Color Splash so I doubt it's bad.