Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ever Have Panic Attacks?

Olly

I don't think I suffer from them. There was this time a little over a decade ago where I was triggered into a state of such fear that I was shifting rapidly toward thinking of suicide, but thankfully what triggered it passed and I was able to snap out of it. I don't know if that would count as a panic attack of some sort.

I had a period where they were pretty regular. It was rough. But I learned the triggers for them and started meditation. They have pretty much become a thing of the past so long as I avoid the triggers. 

Never have so far, I tend to bottle things up and keep a poker face on.

I have bad social anxiety which makes it so painful to go from my house to my university. Sometimes I'll have panic attacks when the spotlight is put on me

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I actually had one tonight. I couldn’t find my keys to leave work. I then saw I had left them in my car. My coworker already left. I was the only one there and my dad wasn’t answering his phone. I didn’t know how I was gonna get home or what to do. Eventually my dad did wake up and answer the phone. I had to wait till he got to my workplace. I was sitting outside freezing in an empty parking lot at night.

Needless to say I’ll be more careful with my keys. 

On 11/7/2019 at 7:26 PM, Lucky Bolt said:

I have anxiety to an extent, but never to the point where I've gotten anxiety attacks though. 

Sorry for the quote, but I have had anxiety to the point where it flooded over into a panic attack (more than one, at different occasions). Well, you know when you get one. Just remember, it is most likely a panic attack and it is not dangerous!

I have had many panic attacks, and they were possibly the worst thing I have ever experienced. It just becomes so real. I had medication for it for 2 whole years, to be able to live a normal life (go to school and meet people). This was a long time ago. After those 2 years, I did stop the medication, and tried to handle the panic attacks by myself. It was quite difficult, but not impossible. Today I only get panic attacks when it gets really hot outside, usually spring times, when I have moved a lot (walked too fast, run, etc). It's still the scariest thing. :sealed:

I know that people that have lived though anxiety, anxiety attacks, or panic attacks, they are really something! *hugs*

• Brohoof 1

No. At work I had to crawl into a dark space. I had to squeeze between dampers and crawl under pipes in a duct that was 4 feet wide and about 6 feet high. But I couldn't stand up due to support bars that crossed the duct. So I had to crawl on my knees for about 30 feet, then squeeze into a spot and clean out slag with a hammer. I wanted to see if I was claustrophobic so I turned off my light and sat in the dark. Turns out I'm not claustrophobic. I was in there about 30 minutes. I had a radio and people were outside monitoring me so I knew I was safe.

• Brohoof 1

On 3/27/2019 at 9:11 PM, TBD said:

Never have so far, I tend to bottle things up and keep a poker face on.

Actually now that I remember I almost did..

One was when I was a high schooler and it was my first day job at a mailroom for one of the university. This campus is almost huge as the downtown.  I got down most the locations since the map is pretty much explained. Except for this one package.. it have a odd address and I wasn’t quite familiar with it nor where to start. The address say the building name but I check there and no one knows about it.  It was also raining like pouring  and I begin to panic because I knew I was taking too long with the mailing  and I knew my boss would not like that. It took me two hours to finally find it. It turns out the building it’s like a “secret” building  that shared the same name as the previous one on the map. With a “secret” office room in which anyone could’ve missed it.  Eventually my boss did got mad at me for taking too long and I was lucky I didn’t get fired. I had heard rumors that this campus is very confusing before working here and I’ll say that it is not a rumor. Since I did have some other problems with the some other address beside this one. Let alone,  I didn’t have a smartphone back then with the fancy  GPS, so yes those were the dark time for me as a former postman. Then there was a time when meet this weirdo.. but that’s another story to tell.  But I have to say I had worked in two different mailroom for two different campus and this one takes the cake. That and awful boss and coworkers making me stress over dumb mails. Then there’s the time when I worked at the deli as a one man army...yeah I think work in general does give me “panic attacks” or stress to some extend, because people.:fiery:

Another time was when I thought something bad happen to my sister while waiting for her at night when the building she was in we’re closed. I waited her for one hour and hour and she wouldn’t pick up the phone at all. No one is in the building nor parked. So since it was night and the building is empty I panicked thinking something must’ve happen to her. I called the police and try my best to speaking clearly though my panicking voice. Luckily she came out of the building, fine. But that was actually the only time when I actually panicked.

On 2/6/2019 at 7:37 PM, Dustleeshus said:

I don't have panic attacks exactly, but sometimes I get episodes where I can't breathe because my anxiety just gets too bad. Almost passed out from it a couple of times... 

Those fall under that umbrella apparently, so yes I do get panic attacks, and in fact quite frequently. And they even range in severity. Some I'd be hesitant to call a panic attack, and others, well, as I've said here, the anxiety got so bad I've been on the verge of actually passing out because my anxiety was causing me to hold my breath, like it seems to do for some reason when it's more serious than usual. :huh: