Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hobbies you have that come and go?

Early Sunsets

What hobbies do you have that you seem to only be able to enjoy for a short while before you need a break?

I personally really like writing, but I can only write for a month or two before I feel like taking a long break. Every time I get back into writing and re-read what I've already written, I'm unhappy with it and re-write it, so I never get anywhere. I have a story I've been working on for like 5 years off and on, and I've only got 3-ish chapters done because I re-wrote it so many times. I had 20 at one point, but they were really short and terrible anyway, so they went to the trash pile.

• Brohoof 2

I can relate to that!

I have tons of phases I go through with being pretty obsessed with something. 

Maybe five years ago, there was a couple weeks where I just drew up all my own pony characters after tracing the base on the window:laugh:

Then there was the rubix cube stage, pokemon stage, MLP card game stage, stages for specific books, soccer stage, clay stage, DIY stage, bracelet making stage, ... and more.... 

• Brohoof 2

Video games come to mind. I played video games daily when I was a kid and teenager. I took a long hiatus from gaming during college, but ever since then, my interest hasn't been the same. My interest in gaming comes and goes these days.  

Small engine repair was once my favorite hobby, but after 5 or so years working at a shop, kinda got burned out. I revisit it some when my lawnmower needs servicing.  ^_^

• Brohoof 1

I do have this  phases of drawing fanarts nonstop based on what I like for the moment. 

Well...

• I had an army men stage when I was in my teens, but it stopped pretty quickly.
  • I occasionally like writing short stories, particularly ones about time travel. But I get writer's block and stop.
  • I had a stage where I wanted to code. But I got stuck when I was doing classes, so I stopped.

Randomly I will go through a small phase of booting up FL Studio and desperately try to make music. I really should just give up on that in its entirety though, I have absolutely no true musical talent.

I also sometimes have a resurgence in interest to Heroclix. Not playing it really, but buying new figures to add to the collection. I like the collection aspect of it.

• Brohoof 1

That tends to happen with a lot of my hobbies, be it video games, writing, drawing, building models, whatever. One moment I'm super invested into it before I eventually lose interest and drop it for a while.

• Brohoof 1

One hobby I need a break from is my long scary novel writing as in fact I wrote 7 novels so far.

titles of my novels I wrote or finished with are ?

1. The Unknown Coldness 14 short chapters of terror

2. Blood and Glass (Sequel to the Pendulum Killer)

3. Decapitation Church Of Love

4. Dark Bleeding World

5. Storm Advisory

6. Hell Train

7. Lycanthropy Pentagram Highway

8. Play Possum (working on it)

• Brohoof 1

Game collecting. I used to really enjoy browsing stores looking for uncommon games, but now that I've moved to another part of town away from my usual hangout, as well as procured mostly everything that had caught my interest over the years, actually playing video games is what I've been feeling more compelled to do. 

Art and design projects for me. I love to draw, paint and sculpt, but I get burned out quickly, so once I finish one project I look for something different to do. I love to design things, architecture and such, but I don't have the same interest in it now as I used to and I can lose interest quick. I pretty much have to do my hobbies in rotating shifts so that I can have something else waiting as soon as I lose interest in the one I'm currently working on. 

• Brohoof 3

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of people don’t know this about me but I write fanfiction. I enjoy it as a hobby but I can go months without writing a single piece. I tend to lose interest, gain back that interest, lose that interest, and the cycle continues.

• Brohoof 1

Building Gundams, I did so much in such quick succession that I burnt myself out really quickly

While I have played video games for quite a large portion of my life, my interest in them seems to spike and sink rather sporadically. I practically never played video games last year, while this year I have been playing Super Smash Brothers Ultimate and the MOTHER series quite a bit. I can already tell that my interest in fading, but I should have enough investment left to finish the MOTHER Trilogy. :mlp_grin:

• Brohoof 1

Writing and worldbuilding. I've had an idea for a fanfic for years now, but I do nothing more than write small scenarios around the characters. And I draw the characters a lot. Like, a lot.

I've been getting more into stargazing lately ever since I moved to my new town a year back. The town I live in is very small and is in the country, so there's far less air pollution here and far more stars to see. I got binoculars a while back just to see some of the fainter stars, and I know at least both Orion and Leo in terms of constellations.

(edited)

Music production, beat matching, drawing, designing, writing and gaming. These are hobbies that come and go mainly because I’ve lost the time to practice.

Edited by Flutterstep
  • Brohoof 1

Writing is a hobby that comes to mind. When I was younger all I wanted to was to write, however I lost interest in it as I got older. There are times where I still get the urge to write, so I guess it hasn't faded away completely.

• 1 month later...

I don't really know, I mean, all my hobbies I enjoy nowadays I've consistently stuck with them, except the whole fanfic writing thing. For a while there I was really starting to get involved in it but after a while I just got kinda bored and impatient with it all and burned out, plus, I was never a natural born writer to begin with. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't cycle through hobbies like I used to. I do however cycle through video games. I'll play one non-stop it seems for like 3 weeks and then not touch it again for like 2 years. Which sucks cause a lot of them don't give you a recap when you jump back in.

• Brohoof 1