Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anime FEATURES

Narcissus

There are many Anime threads on here but they mostly deal with shorts and series. I would like to know specifically about your favorite FULL-LENGTH Anime features. What are your favorites and why?

Your Name

Ponyo

Naruto/One Piece/DB/Ghost in the Shell/Fullmetal Alchemist (movies)

Howl's Moving Castle

Spirited Away

Princess Mononoke

My Neighbor Totoro

The Miracle of Endymion

• Brohoof 4

There are quite a few that I like, and although it may not be my favourite I would have to present Akira as a top-tier candidate.  Regardless of whether or not you like the film it is undeniable that it was one of the, the not the, most influential anime films of all time, at least in the west.  Being the first anime film to really hit the mainstream in the west it played a huge role not only in popularising Japanese media but also dispelling the stigma that animated films had to be at least family friendly if not aimed outright at children.

There was of course always people that enjoyed anime with whom films and series like Fist of the North Star, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Patlabor, Ninja Scroll and others were popular throughout the 90s, but these people were very much on the fringe, and even to this day if a person that went through their teenage years in the 90s has only seen one anime film, the odds are that film is Akira.

• Brohoof 1

Pretty much any movie by Hayao Miyazaki, like Whispers of the Heart, Howel’s Moving Castle, He’s a great story teller and one of the few directors left that uses hand drawn media. In the last couple years, my favorite has been Your Name. It’s a visually stunning movie that you won’t beleive is hand drawn. Not to mention it’s an emotion rollercoaster with great music. By the end of the movie, you won’t have a dry eye.

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 2

Spirited Away has been my favorite ever since I saw it. I remember first seeing it when I was young.

• Brohoof 3

There are few mentioned above that I haven't seen or even heard of, so thanks for the heads up everybody. I've seen the Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli movies (of which 'When Marnie Was There' and 'Spirited Away' are my favorites) and of course Makoto Shinkai's 'Your Name,' which is the best ever. I've been looking for more movies along the lines of Your Name, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and some of the lighter Miyazakis like Whisper of the Heart. There's a genre called 'magical girl' that's supposedly female based, romantic with a touch of magic, and I'd love to find more of those. 

Well I just watched Dragon Ball Super Broly which was awesome. Also it made the stunning achievement of actually making Broly an interesting character

• Brohoof 2

My favorite anime movie is Your Name by a significant margin. It’s one of my favorite movies of any kind. It really messes with your emotions and seamlessly changes from one mood to another until it has you laughing, crying, yelling and pleading for the proper outcome. An emotional nightmare that leaves you begging for more.

The best Ghibli movie is probably Spirited Away. It’s really a perfect movie and deserves the term ‘masterpiece.’ But my personal favorite from Studio Ghibli isn’t even Hayao Mityazaki’s; it’s directed by Goro Miyazaki, his son, ‘From Up On Poppy Hill.’ It’s one of the subtler, less ambitious ones (for lack of a better term) that I personally gravitate to, like Whisper of the Heart, Kiki’s Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro.

There are many more that deserve to be listed but I’ll just name a few good ones like Summer Wars, Howl’s Moving Castle, A Silent Voice, Children Who Chase Lost Voices and Princess and the Pilot.

I like these because they have good characterization, stunning artwork and good solid writing that draws you right in. I also like some romance and slice of life aspects, and a good voice cast (whether it's original Japanese or dubbed into English) can really put a movie over the top.

• Brohoof 2

Spirit away and Berserk: Golden age arcs. (the graphic is very nice, too bad the series didn't pick up the same animation)

• Brohoof 1

Pretty much everything by Studio Ghibli, especially the Hayao Miyazaki films.

Along with some of the feature films from franchises like One Piece, Sailor Moon, Pokémon, Dragon Ball, Naruto, etc., most notably Dragon Ball Super Broly :wub:

• Brohoof 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Top 10

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion: End of Evangelion 

2. Perfect Blue

3. Koukaku Kidoutai

4. Shoujo Kakumei Utena: Adolescence Mokushiroku 

5. Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome

6. Kizumonogatari

7. Paprika

8. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica: Hangyaku no Monogatari.

9. LotGH DNT

10. Tekkon Kinkreet