Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Comic Con

AJ2489

Howdy folks! 

For the first time ever, I will be attending comic con this year. I'm going to Liverpool comic con on Saturday 9th March. Anyone else going then? 

Basically, I wanna know what to expect? I'm not what you'd call a hard core geek. I have an interest in the likes of star trek and other syfy stuff but not enough to warrant the title of hardcore fan! 

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Look into any panels you might be interested in on the day(s) you're going, if you find any cosplayers that you want to take a picture of, don't take pictures of them without their permission.  Always wait until they're done eating/drinking/going to the washroom before talking to them.  I know that that might seem like common sense and decency but some people will just start taking pictures of cosplayers without their permission and that's a HUGE con no-no also, don't touch a cosplayer without their permission cosplay is NOT consent no matter how sexy the cosplay looks.  Though cosplayers LOVE talking about their props and costumes, so if you like someone's cosplay, ask about it!!  Cosplayers love getting appreciation for their hard work..  Bring extra cash on you just incase ATMs are out so you can get some goodies.  If you see any art that you like, try asking the artist if they'll sign it for you!  Sometimes they'll sign it but other times they might not want to.  I was lucky the last time I attended one con in Toronto, the guy was a part of the Gargoyles(Disney series from the 90's) art team and let me tell you, some signed work from an artist you admire looks pretty good on your wall.  Also, stay hydrated and take a shower before going to the con, some guys can be pretty stinky when they go to a con.  That isn't a con rule it's just polite to make sure you've taken care of yourself and use deodorant, I know that some guys will just naturally have an odour to them, no big deal it's just something to think about especially if you want to pose with your favourite cosplayer.  Lastly, bring some snacks with you since the food at the con will not always be the best and most of the time they're overpriced.  Hope you have fun at your first con!!!  Best of luck and may you have a great time!! :mlp_smile:

Oh and before I forget, if you don't want to bring snacks, try to have an idea where restaurants are around where you're going.  It's always nice to bring a friend with you since it makes things more interesting sometimes!!  Also, if you see something you really want to get, just get it, can't tell you how many times I've had regrets over not getting something that I really wanted and had the money for!  I still think of this one plush that I LOVED but it's no longer sold anywhere :(…  Lastly(I mean it this time!) be aware that sometimes people will sell not legit figures, just something to be careful about, I don't think the bigger cons have this problem as much but it's still something to consider.  Most stalls should let you inspect the box before buying it(without opening it of course), so just watch out for the quality of the materials and the paint job.  I don't think that's as big of a problem with keychains, just figures.

Remember to bring ID with you, especially if you want to get into an 18+ event!!  ALWAYS CARRY YOUR BADGE ON YOU!!  You'll need it to enter the artist alley and stuff like that!

Edited by Thuja
  • Brohoof 1

I’ve been going to cons for over 20 years. @Thuja gave you lots of good advise. Going with a friend will make it more fun. If you’re going to meet any of the celebrities, think of something you want to ask them. Keep it brief and simple because they will most likely have a long line. Remember to thank them afterwards. Do NOT take pictures of them without their permission. They will have scheduled times for photo ops and/or they will take a picture with you at their table for a price. The same goes for comic book artists/guests. They don’t normally charge for photos but always ask them first. Lastly, take a bottle of hand sanitizer with you, especially if you’ll be shaking hands and digging through comic boxes. If you can hold out till the last day to buy something, dealers are more willing to make deals so they don’t have to take it back with them.

• Brohoof 1

You’re welcome. I hope you have a good time. Bring snacks with you and scope out eating places around the convention because convention food is super expensive. Like a bottle of water can be $3 or $4. :lostit:

Edited by Twilight Luna
  • Brohoof 1

Ooooh awesome! I've never been to comic con, I've only been to one other convention in my whole life so far, a Walking Dead one in Atlanta last Fall. And let me tell you, it was amazing! Soooo many people and craziness but I absolutely had the best time of my life! I assume comic con will be quite similar. 

• Brohoof 1