Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's your biggest criticism of RDR2?

Barnstormer

*Disclaimer: This thread is meant to be about the singleplayer mode, not Red Dead Online.

So Red Dead Redemption 2 has been out for a bit now, and most of us have had a chance to complete at least one playthrough (or at least get a decent ways into the game).

Now, don't get me wrong, it's a damn good game, and gorgeous as hell, but it's not this level of good:

1fcce46b75.png68aa83e185.png521e4586d0.png

This would imply there's literally nothing wrong or worthy of critiquing in the game, which is objectively just not true. So my question is, as the title says: what, in your opinion, is the biggest thing worth critiquing, the biggest drawback, the biggest annoyance you have with RDR2?

Personally, I think mine would be the bounty/wanted system. While yes, the story does try and steer you towards an honorable playthrough (or at least ending), you are, at the end of the day, an outlaw-a criminal. And they appropriately included robbery mechanics-why include them if they're not meant to be used? But the way the wanted system works, from response time of the law, to the law's omniscience, to the convoluted and ill-explained (both in game and by the devs themselves) mechanic to remain anonymous, to the poor AI when it comes to receiving a bounty for self defense or NPC stupidity (seriously, get those horses some turn signals :unamused:), this entire portion of the game just seems poorly implemented at best, flat out broken at worst. Especially when it comes to non-story train robberies. There's simply no way whatsoever to get in and get out before the law arrives, and they spawn whether a witness actually gets away or not, and spawn within seconds of you taking out the engineer. This is one of the most lucrative activities in terms of time-efficiency and payout (unless you google gold bar locations and hunt them down, but that feels like cheating); but with how it's working it's pointless because you get a bounty worth as much or more than the loot you snag from the train. Kind of takes the 'outlaw' out of actually being...well, an outlaw. And what's sad is Rockstar is likely not going to implement a fix for this, because it would require a drastic overhaul of a base/core system from the ground up. I'd say that's something that would/should detract from a perfect 100 review score, hm?

I also agree with a lot of the points made in this vid-the good and the bad-and I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts on this as well (also linking this vid because I like sharing teh lulz :laugh:):

Edited by Barnstormer
  • Brohoof 1

I still have yet to play the game myself so don't take my word for it, but it sounds like another GTAIV situation, where the game isn't as fun as the critics make it out to be. And one of the most common criticisms is that it's too realistic and detailed for its own good, to the point where it's a pain in the ass, from skinning animals, to cooking, to simple moving, everything takes more time to do than reasonably possible that it just makes the game kinda boring. Admittedly I always felt this was an issue for me for most of their games, but it seems like RDR2 is the pinnacle of some of these traits

2 minutes ago, This Whomps said:

I still have yet to play the game myself so don't take my word for it, but it sounds like another GTAIV situation, where the game isn't as fun as the critics make it out to be. And one of the most common criticisms is that it's too realistic and detailed for its own good, to the point where it's a pain in the ass, from skinning animals, to cooking, to simple moving, everything takes more time to do than reasonably possible that it just makes the game kinda boring. Admittedly I always felt this was an issue for me for most of their games, but it seems like RDR2 is the pinnacle of some of these traits

This is my first Rockstar game, so I can't speak as to RDR2's similarities with, say, GTAIV, but I will say this: the intricate animations do take some getting used to, but honestly, I've grown to like them. As UpIsNotJump says in the video I linked, it actually helps you get deeper into character. Sure, it does take up more time, but that's just something you have to come to accept, and it actually helps with the feel of the 'Old West' setting, meaning everything is a bit slower, more relaxed. I'm finding that my time with RDR2 has chilled me out more than any other game in recent memory, hunting and fishing and just exploring is a great way to just turn your brain off and veg. Granted, that's not for everyone, but then, this game probably isn't for that kind of player in the first place, that's the point XP.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, The Historian said:

Here's my main complaint about RDR2: it's not on PC.

I feel ya. I still have an X1, but I mainly game on PC nowadays. RDR2 is the first time I'd booted up the Xbox in....I literally don't remember XD