Auto or Manual

Mach33

Automatic or Manual Transmission   

17 users have voted

1. 1. Would you rather have an:

• Automatic transmission
    • Manual transmission

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 2019-03-01 at 09:21 AM

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Speaking of manual vs auto, having a manual actually saved my car. :yeahno:

About a month ago I was going to work and I was on the on-ramp to get on the freeway (I-75). There was a moron in the minivan in front of me going 35 AND NOT SPEEDING UP! The minimum speed for the freeway is 55mph!:sealed:

Well, we were nearing the end of the on-ramp and a double trailer gravel hauler semi was coming up fast and someone was behind me, and the stupid van was making the semi try to slow down. The freeway is bridged over the road I was entering from and the on-ramp approached at an upward angle with a concrete wall alongside it, so there IS NO WAY to have seen the truck until it was almost on top of me at that slow speed. I had to make a split-second decision to either slam on my brakes or instantly drop to first gear and floor it to 7K RPM's. I probably would have stopped in time since my Camaro has good double piston brake calipers, but I for sure would have been rear-ended by the guy on the on-ramp behind me. If the guy behind me did hit me, he would have gotten a ticket. I wouldn't have because freeway traffic has right of way over entering merging traffic.

I opted to go to first gear and floor it around the van that basically was cutting off that gravel hauler. I had test driven a Camaro with the V6 and automatic and it SUCKED. If mine WAS automatic, I wouldn't have been able to pull that move off and probably would have gotten rear ended by the semi If I'd floored it. In that case I would have gotten a ticket because freeway traffic has right of way over merging traffic. When doing quick decisions or acceleration, an automatic has to guess what the hell you want to do and there is a perceivable delay- VERY much so for the v6 Camaro automatic.

The good thing is that I had put upgraded mufflers on my car that sound normal when driving normal, but sound insane when at such high RPM's, so hopefully the van idiot got the message.:baconmane: The only regret at that time passing him in a manual car is that I couldn't lay on the horn due to not having a free hand. I'm not one to road-rage, but the van moron really put me between a rock and a hard place.

Moral of the story, if you're going to be going 35mph, STAY ON THE NORMAL ROADS- NOT The FREEWAY! The minimum speed here in the US for such roads is 55mph TO PREVENT situations like I was in!

onrampsm.jpg.d7134f683f9a3ddc4394808f106f542e.jpg

This is the on-ramp I was on. In my car, the top of that concrete wall is just above my eyeline. This picture was taken by a Google Maps van with a camera high up on a post above its roof (you can see it's shadow near the bottom right).

Edited by Cirrus.