Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When do you use a person's name?

Frostgage

When you see someone you know or are speaking directly with them, do you often say their name or use general terms to address them (e.g. "man")?

I came to the realization today that I almost never speak a person's name aloud except when getting their attention. It's not a huge deal but what are your thoughts on this? And do you personally like hearing people say your name?

• Brohoof 3

For some reason a few people I know don't like being addressed by their name. So I use nicknames a lot, which seems friendly and personal and thus more fun. I often like to address someone by their first name with a Mr. or Miss or Mrs. in front of it. 

Personally I have no problem when people address me by my real name, but I like nicknames a lot too.

• Brohoof 2

It depends on how often they say it. If it's all the time, then that's strange. But if they're just trying to address you or keep your attention then I think that's normal. Saying someone's name multiple times just to keep their attention eventually feels a bit too formal. Almost how it is when you're talking to a therapist or doctor and they keep punctuating a point with "-isn't that right, Jeļena?" or "-does that make sense, Jeļena?". Or for some people it can just be annoying. If I'm already engaged in a conversation with someone, I don't think I'll have to say their name to get their attention anymore.

Edited by Sunset Rose
  • Brohoof 2

I usually say a person's name when I want their attention, but I usually say "hey/yo/excuse me" for that kind of thing most of the time. Oh and I like to say people's names whenever I feel playful or annoying, lol

• Brohoof 2

In person, almost never.  The only time I speak people's names is over internet voice chat with a total of 3 or more people, because otherwise there's really no way for anyone to know who you're speaking to since no one can see each other.

2 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I often like to address someone by their first name with a Mr. or Miss or Mrs. in front of it.

Oh, you mean like Mr. Frodo?!  I love that!  I always wanted Twilight to get a gardener for the school grounds who calls her "Miss Twilight".  And she'd have to use phrases like, "begging your pardon."  "Begging your pardon, Miss Twilight, will that be all for today?"  :laugh:

• Brohoof 1

(1) Now that I think about it....I don't refer to any of my male classmates by their names.Only time I will call a dude by his name is if I specifically need their attention.

Usually when it's a guy i'm more comfortable and leaned back so I refer to them as "dude" or "man".When it's a girl I call them by name most of the time. idk why : /

(2) Personally,I hate hearing people say my real name because I constantly have to correct them on how to pronounce it right.Hearing them attempt to say is also embarrassing or receiving the old "Can you say your name again please?" I prefer for people to call me by my alias. c:

• Brohoof 1

I almost never say the others name when I'm talking to them. Unless maybe we're in a group and i want their attention and they don't respond. 

Usually i use names only to talk about people...

Greetings would just be a "hi" - no dude or man etc, but also no names

This is something I've noticed about myself too. I almost never use anyone's first names or general terms, even to get their attention - I use titles/surnames sometimes, such as 'sir', 'aunty', 'mr. x', etc., but even that sparingly. I suspect it's because I'm terrible with remembering names and thus developed a natural avoidance of using people's names in conversation as a method of circumventing possible embarrassment. :sealed:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

When I’m talking to them, or getting their attention, I use their name. Although, it depends on the person. If I’m very close to them I may call them by nickname. :ButtercupLaugh:

I almost never use names. When I meet someone, even a doctor or similar, I just say “Hello.”. I've never questioned it, no one ever was bothered by it, so I guess it's okay/normal. :D

But when do I actually use names? Hm... I guess when a few more people are around and I want to speak to one specifically. I just don't like long speeches. Why saying I wish you a wonderfully wonderful day Mr. xxx from yyy, may god bless you, you cool stallion.”, when it just can be “Hi.”? I'm lazy. :rarity:

• Brohoof 1