Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Are You With Needles?

Venomous

Since I have to give myself an injection once a week, getting injections doesn't really bother me anymore.  When I get bloodwork, I have to look away when the person injects the needle.  Still like watching the person withdraw blood though...

• Brohoof 1

I've gotten a lot better with needles in the last few years. I use to be terrified of getting shots. Now, I have no problem getting blood drawn... as long as I look the other way and get a Spongebob bandaid. :P

• Brohoof 2

As a kid, I was never really afraid of needless. Normally I just look away and suck up the pain. Whatever is in the needle usually hurts more than the needle itself anyway.

That being said, I don't particularly like watching the needle go in, especially when it's a blood draw. I especially don't like donating blood. I'm okay with other people's blood, but when I see a lot of mine, I get kinda light headed. :v

I was diagnosed with Diabetes when I was four; I've been poked with needles so many times (literally thousands) that I've basically become a human pincushion. :okiedokieloki:

I'm not afraid of needles anymore--I haven't been for many years. Getting jabbed is an everyday occurrence. 

Well, okay--I'll admit that I don't like injecting insulin/inserting insulin pump sites into my stomach. I'm always afraid that I'll puncture something that ought not to be punctured. :BornAgainBrony:

Edited by Kings&Hooves14
  • Brohoof 1

I can watch a needle go into someone else but if its myself i get freaked out so i have to look away if someone sticks me with one. Just hard to see something go into my body like that ha

It's nothing special.  I passed through there on a vacation once.  Too hot.  They do have a really good restaurant with the best chili fries I've ever had, though.

... What?  OH... you meant needle the pointy metal thing.  I thought you meant Needles, CA.  I have no issue with needles.  Any time I've had to get a shot, it didn't upset me.

Getting a shot I am OK with. Getting blood drawn bothers me though. You don't know if you're going to get an idiot.

A few people I know have had bad experiences getting blood drawn. What I don't get is that they put up with it?!?!:mlp_confused:

With me this is how it would go:

Try one miss:: ...one more try :mlp_okiedokieloki:

Try two miss: NOPE- you better get someone else. If there isn't someone else it's reschedule time and I better not be billed for this BS!:angry:

Same goes for aggressive dental hygienists scraping like psychos!!!! :ticking::lostit:

I used to just deal with it, but now I stop it by firmly asking if they are trying to make a cavity. :baconmane: Luckily I've never had to escalate beyond that. I still don't have any cavities at 30... WAIT A MINUTE... I think I may be on to something here...:blink:

Edited by Cirrus.

On 2/19/2019 at 10:25 PM, Kings&Hooves14 said:

I was diagnosed with Diabetes when I was four; I've been poked with needles so many times (literally thousands) that I've basically become a human pincushion. :okiedokieloki:

I'm not afraid of needles anymore--I haven't been for many years. Getting jabbed is an everyday occurrence. 

Well, okay--I'll admit that I don't like injecting insulin/inserting insulin pump sites into my stomach. I'm always afraid that I'll puncture something that ought not to be punctured. :BornAgainBrony:

I once had to get the tip of my finger pricked, as the doctor used the blood sample to test for mononucleosis. I actually fainted about a minute after the initial prick.

13 hours ago, Emperor Blu Traincrown said:

Put it the way it's something jabbed into your skin and flesh, and you have a reason why it scares some people.

I've been stabbed once before a needle isn't much a leap, when I got my injections, I didn't even notice when it went in, sometimes the best thing is to face your fear and conquer it, that's my opinion anyway 

Flu shots don't bother me at all, but I noticed that one of my vaccines I had as a teen stung way more than the others. So, shots don't usually bother me unless its contents stings me, in which it's already too late to worry.

Getting blood drawn, on the other hand, suuuccckkkkss. Mostly because I hate tourniquets, or anything that makes me feel my veins bounce. 

While neither of these instances are really the needles' fault, I don't see myself voluntarily going through a spinal tap. Spinal tap scenes in medical shows or movies are a big "nope" to me.

I have a pretty strong stomach for the gross and terrible things in life, but I can't stand needles!!  Nope nope nope! I tear up at shots and faint during blood draws. I have to have someone drive me to the clinic because I'm K.O.ed for the rest of the day. I frequently have to fast for blood tests so not only do I faint but I also am loopy/cranky after I wake back up. I have to look away or cover my eyes when I see needles on TV.

In case anyone in this thread feels silly for being afraid of needles, I'll share this story about myself. I am deathly allergic to peanuts. Even the slightest amount of cross contamination could result in anaphylaxis (a fancy word for death). A few years ago, I ate something that wasn't labeled as containing peanuts but lo and behold, it had trace amounts. I begin to go into shock and my family is scrambling around trying to find my Epi-pen. My mom finds it and is trying to talk me into laying down so she can easily give me the life-saving shot. I begin to start crying and begging her not to do it because "I'm fine, really!". She ignores me thankfully, and pins me down and gives me the shot. I being screeching and thrash, causing her to cut me with the needle really badly. Thankfully, I got the medication into my system and I survived. I now have a large scar on my thigh from where she cut me.

TL:DR: I have ZERO sense of self-preservation and nearly died because I was too afraid of a tiny needle to take a life-saving medication. 

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I am very good with needles (they are so effective nowadays anyways, so you can barely feel them). I am not so good drawing blood though! Most horrible moment in my life when I looked at my blood while being drawn from my body. The doctor said I turned blue. Never felt so sick ever!

• Brohoof 1