Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will you miss the show but never the fandom?

PCutter

Title says it. Especially since I'm aware of the show's end.

I only came to watch the show because I personally enjoyed it. I liked their morals, but in the end I stopped trying to look for connections because of how sh*tty real-life people I met were. 

On the upside, won't you be finally happy that you will never have to deal with the fandom's hate for this or that again?

Edited by PCutter
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think I'll be able to miss a fandom that isn't gone. I'm extemely sad over the show's end, but just because it's over doesn't mean the fandom is going anywhere. Plenty of fandom's for other shows, or things like games or books have lasted for a long, long time after the end of the series they were fans of. This one won't be any different, especially with how loyal some fans are and especially because of how this show and fandom has genuinely saved people's lives. It'll shrink, but won't die.

Anyway, sorry you've had a bad experience with the fandom, there's definitely some bad apples in it, but I can't complain about it myself. It's honestly been the most welcoming, creative and talented fandom I've ever been apart of, seen a lot of great works of fanart, met a lot of nice people in it, even met my best friend in the world. Pretty nice fandom overall.

I guess I won't miss the kind of people who blow up and freak out in a panic every single time something in the show changes without at least giving it a chance first, they can't really do that anymore once the show is over...Unless they do it to G5 as well, which they probably will, but I dunno if I'll be into G5, I'm mostly just here for G4, so whatever.:sealed:

Edited by BasementSparkle
  • Brohoof 4

I have....mixed feelings on the fandom to say the least, so I can't say I'll be looking back on the fandom much. That said, I have made a lot of friends through the show and that I'll be something I'll always cherish

• Brohoof 1

I’ll miss the show I suppose, but I don’t need to miss the fandom since I have no shortage of people I will undoubtably interact with after the show is wrapped up. It’s a shame that my experience doesn’t reflect yours OP, but I’m sure I am not along in the resolution to keep elements of the fandom alive in some small way, and for me the best way is through my fellow Brony friends.

• Brohoof 2

The fandom won't just up and disappear once the show ends, and I don't really plan on leaving any time soon either. I've made some great friends because of this show, and had some great times along the way. I will miss the show, that's for sure, but as for the fandom itself, I'm here for the long haul.

• Brohoof 2

Fandoms don’t end when a show or series ends. Even when traction slows, people will eventually embrace the show for years to come, and those who stick with it for so long will remain fans and interact whenever they wish. As what @BasementSparkle said above me, lots of fandoms stick around years and decades well after it concludes. Same for here: Passion for FIM didn’t come out of thin air, and its fanbase is too loyal to vanish.

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, BasementSparkle said:

I don't think I'll be able to miss a fandom that isn't gone. I'm extemely sad over the show's end, but just because it's over doesn't mean the fandom is going anywhere. Plenty of fandom's for other shows, or things like games or books have lasted for a long, long time after the end of the series they were fans of. This one won't be any different, especially with how loyal some fans are and especially because of how this show and fandom has genuinely saved people's lives. It'll shrink, but won't die.

Anyway, sorry you've had a bad experience with the fandom, there's definitely some bad apples in it, but I can't complain about it myself. It's honestly been the most welcoming, creative and talented fandom I've ever been apart of, seen a lot of great works of fanart, met a lot of nice people in it, even met my best friend in the world. Pretty nice fandom overall.

I guess I won't miss the kind of people who blow up and freak out in a panic every single time something in the show changes without at least giving it a chance first, they can't really do that anymore once the show is over...Unless they do it to G5 as well, which they probably will, but I dunno if I'll be into G5, I'm mostly just here for G4, so whatever.:sealed:

I would believe that this show is where I first encountered the concept of fandom. You wouldn't know how unprepared I was for hell I had to endure for almost a decade having to deal with every single opinion online. Yes, the majority of my interactions is online. 

Because of this decade, of this experience, I'm now made to completely hate all fans/fandoms of every media franchise I ever liked. Just like that, you can show me all the good things any fandom has done, but I will NEVER change how much I hate them because of how they hurt me to my core. THE DAMAGE IS DONE. I WILL NOT MISS THE MLP FANDOM AT ALL other than looking at fan content that I like. In the end, I'm giving the biggest, fattest, "FY" to the fandom the likes of which nobody's ever seen. 

To add, I also blame myself for not being strong enough to ignore everyone else and watch the show before. 

This status update of mine says it:

"I guess this is one of my biggest regrets of my life now: watching the show in its entirety AFTER it's ended.

I hate myself for this. And the only person in the world who deserves blame is myself. 

How any more pathetic and weak-willed can I be when I repeatedly tell myself to always continue doing what I love (in this case watching MLP) no matter how much the world hates me when it turns out me giving in to all the fans telling me  the truth about the show being trash reveals my character as a coward?

They've won and are right. And I've lost and am wrong. 

All I can say to everyone here is: I am sorry. I am so sorry for everything.

Now I await what sort of punishment comes for me for my inability to stay strong."

Just now, Bas said:

MLP Forums. :)

The awesome website you are visiting right now. :sealed:

OK you know what, I guess I do hate some. But I suppose that's when I was lurking and didn't sign up here yet. And I still do now.

Edited by PCutter

2 minutes ago, Bas said:

And I thought you liked me. :blush:

Look I have a clear of idea of who I hate here. But you're not one of them. But I don't expect you to understand or accept all my anger I've felt towards everyone else. I've always been treated as a frightened child who cannot defend himself and was allowed to be beaten and spat on. But not now. 

I'm sorry ok?

Edited by PCutter

Well I hope the fandom doesn't end along with the show! I'll definitely miss the show but rewatching episodes never gets old, and community activities, etc keep everything sort of fresh and new, which is exciting. The artists, musicians, and creators of the fandom also make it great!

I don’t believe that there will be a reason to miss the fandom because I don’t think it is going anywhere even after the show ends. Sure, some people will leave it but I sincerley doubt it will totally disperse. As for the show, I will miss it. I really enjoyed it!

I find it to be an ultimate humiliation that I have to watch the entire show after it's ended. After leaving it behind and remaining uncomplete in watching it while it was still on-air. 

Don't you find it to be an ultimate humiliation too?

Even if the fandom did disappear after the end of MLP, hypothetically speaking, I would miss it a lot myself. The fandom contributed to the legacy of MLP, from fanworks to changing people to headcanons that eventually became canon like Derpy. It's not a perfect fandom, and there were some times where it got obnoxious, but really? No fandom's perfect. I'd argue there's far worse out there even. 

7 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Even if the fandom did disappear after the end of MLP, hypothetically speaking, I would miss it a lot myself. The fandom contributed to the legacy of MLP, from fanworks to changing people to headcanons that eventually became canon like Derpy. It's not a perfect fandom, and there were some times where it got obnoxious, but really? No fandom's perfect. I'd argue there's far worse out there even. 

Star Wars. Absolutely needless to say. The instant where they gave a big fat 0 to TLJ and Solo was where I quit.

As for MLP in this case, it was when people said the show was doomed to fail from the start in 2010 and in the previous 3 seasons.

47 minutes ago, PCutter said:

Star Wars. Absolutely needless to say. The instant where they gave a big fat 0 to TLJ and Solo was where I quit.

As for MLP in this case, it was when people said the show was doomed to fail from the start in 2010 and in the previous 3 seasons.

Who are "they"? The fans? The critics? Either way who cares what people even think of them. You're letting yourself get influenced by a couple of people who didn't even come up to you and say why your opinion sucks. And even then, you can't "quit" a fandom. If you call yourself a fan of something and contribute to it in some way, you're part of the fandom. My point when saying that no fandom is perfect is that there's good and bad in every one. 

You're looking in the wrong places m8. There are people who think that MLP was bad from the beginning, but it isn't healthy to just look for the negative in a fandom. 

4 hours ago, PCutter said:

I find it to be an ultimate humiliation that I have to watch the entire show after it's ended. After leaving it behind and remaining uncomplete in watching it while it was still on-air. 

Don't you find it to be an ultimate humiliation too?

Why would you even consider it to ultimate humiliation? There's nothing humiliating about watching a show after it ends. That's why tv shows have re-runs and sometimes DVDs.. And watching a show after it DOESN'T have to be a requirement. Watching a show's a choice, not an obligation 

2 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Who are "they"? The fans? The critics? Either way who cares what people even think of them. You're letting yourself get influenced by a couple of people who didn't even come up to you and say why your opinion sucks. And even then, you can't "quit" a fandom. If you call yourself a fan of something and contribute to it in some way, you're part of the fandom. My point when saying that no fandom is perfect is that there's good and bad in every one. 

You're looking in the wrong places m8. There are people who think that MLP was bad from the beginning, but it isn't healthy to just look for the negative in a fandom. 

That last sentence is the main reason I stopped watching MLP critics, but still enjoy the main fanbase. People who nothing but look for negative without giving the positive any attention irks me, and frankly tends to gives the fanbase a bad reputation to people not part of the fanbase.

• Brohoof 1

On 2/24/2019 at 5:20 PM, Odyssey said:

The fandoms. Both in Star Wars and MLP. Maybe I do consider myself a fan. But I've never contributed once in my life. I even have my own ideas for fanart, but I have no interest or skills for the artistic realm. And for writing, I have never had the interest of writing fanfiction even if I like reading certain ones by others. I have my own original ideas that I strongly feel should be put to good use. 

And all of my interactions with the fandom were online, not in real life. Even if their words aren't meant for me, they've already caused me to lose faith in myself. I can probably master every single language humanity has ever known and nothing will ever change my reluctance to defend myself against them. 

On 2/24/2019 at 8:05 PM, Will Guide said:

Why would you even consider it to ultimate humiliation? There's nothing humiliating about watching a show after it ends. That's why tv shows have re-runs and sometimes DVDs.. And watching a show after it DOESN'T have to be a requirement. Watching a show's a choice, not an obligation 

That last sentence is the main reason I stopped watching MLP critics, but still enjoy the main fanbase. People who nothing but look for negative without giving the positive any attention irks me, and frankly tends to gives the fanbase a bad reputation to people not part of the fanbase.

Maybe I can enlighten you why I consider it humiliation. Let's say you, the watcher, are engrossed in the show that you feel like you are now alongside the characters as your own character. You've witnessed all the ups, downs, joys, heartaches. And then, let's say you choosing to leave the show right at a point where the characters are about to face something/one really terrible equates to abandoning them. 

That's why it's humiliation because I've feel like I've abandoned them out of cowardice because everyone else condemns their actions when I see nothing wrong with said actions. Because I chose to abandon this adventure and feel guilty about not seeing it through to the end. 

2 minutes ago, PCutter said:

Then I guess you never needed to watch it anyway. I know you never really liked it.

True, I don't really need to do anything I don't want to do. But I still did. 

Just because I won't miss it does not mean I did not like it, that is a pretty ludicrous claim right there~