Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The future of past gens

ManaMinori

As a new start lies on the horizon for g4, I have to wonder what lies in the future for older gens- g1, g2, and g3. Will there be just as many nods and references to them, as there were in g4? Would new fans coming in grow to appreciate the older gens and what they have to offer, rather than follow g4's fandoms' lead and just throw hate and shade at  the past gens?

• 6 months later...

I'd hope they keep giving nods to previous generations in G5. I don't really like the older gens much, but I always find it cool how FiM references them now and then. I feel it kind of connects the franchise better as a whole, as well as shows appreciation for the previous creators.

I don't know what they'll do in G5 media, obviously. However, Hasbro has ramped up their nods to older generations in their products released and revealed recently. It began with a pair of Twilights they released at a recent convention. One was styled like G4 Twilight Sparkle, and the other a nod to older generations. Specifically, the artwork was based off of G1, but the toy kind of looks more like a smaller G3 (although not identical, there are some differences. Some say they're based off of the G1 artwork. That's probably what they're going for, but Basic Fun may have license over the original G1 toy meshes?).

Shortly thereafter, these appeared for pre-order on Amazon (Note that they are the same style as the "retro" Twilight mentioned above):

Then after that, a small line of G3 rereleases showed up on Target's website. According to this website they are being made by Hasbro.

No matter what, between these and Basic Fun rereleasing a bunch of G1's as of late, there is definitely a focus on the retro with MLP as of late. Basic Fun might be completely unrelated, but even if we sat that aside, there is a lot directly from Hasbro.

EDIT: The G3 rereleases are apparently Basic Fun instead of Hasbro. So little was known until they released.

Edited by Envy