Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Idea: James Cameron as G5's showrunner

Plonkett

After seeing Alita: Battle Angel, I just thought of something. Wouldn't it be cool if James Cameron became G5's Lauren Faust and created the show's characters and world? The guy is well known for creating very memorable female lead characters. Just imagine what a main cast designed by him would be like, chances are that they'd be even more compelling than the G4 Mane 6. Would be also cool if he wrote the upcoming prequel film.

Outside of Terminator 2 (which hasn’t aged well) and Aliens, Cameron is horrifically mediocre with production, writing and direction. Alita has a paper thin storyline and character development like Avatar and the romance in Titanic. 

Hard pass on this idea. Gendy tho ... maybe him. :)

• Brohoof 1

Eh, while I like some of his material, I'm not sure if his style and/or vision would something as small as MLP. And even then; a big name like Cameron isn't going to automatically guarantee quality. It'd be better to have someone who's been in TV animation for a while; like a Genndy or the show-runners behind Netflix's Hilda, IMO.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Jeric said:

Outside of Terminator 2 (which hasn’t aged well)

Whoa whoa whoa.

That's one of his better aged movies!

I agree with the rest though. Cameron is an overrated director who often just wows people with special effects and really top line stuff but after the movies have been out for a while you realize they're fairly mediocre or just "okay" at best. His edge has definitely worn off. Aliens, Titanic and Terminator 2 were all great, but it's been a while since he's truly made a "memorable" film. Avatar was mostly loved for the special effects, but most people never talk about it or revisit it.

54 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

Cameron is an overrated director who often just wows people with special effects and really top line stuff but after the movies have been out for a while you realize they're fairly mediocre or just "okay" at best

Sounds much like MLP movie - awesome animation, meh plotline.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:20 PM, KillerKingBakudan said:

Dude, it's not about the quality. Kids shows like MLP are way below his pay grade. He'd never agree to do it.

I'd be down for him turning it into a young-adult franchise, or at least making it create a Disney grade appeal..

Edited by vgmaster9

3 hours ago, BornAgainBrony said:

...would the story involve ponies being exploited by a megacorporation?

Well, at least that would be different.

Edgy ponies in a dank, cyberpunk world....

Edited by CypherHoof

Cameron has his wheelhouse and this isn't it. Thought I might be interested in seeing what certain Disney or Pixar veterans could do with it.

• 1 year later...