Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Weirdest quirk about your state? (USA)

Iris Flower

So I live in Washington state USA right? Well, we have our fair share of weirdness like the rest of the states. The weirdest thing about us washingtonians is our obsession with bigfoot... we have people literally all over world coming here to our forests looking for him. It's quite entertaining. 

Another thing that's weird about Washington is our amount of Starbucks here. Coffee is like our fountain of rejuvenation. 

• Brohoof 2

Wisconsin is the northernmost southern state. 

We have lots of places that play country music. Saloon style bars. Gas stations that sell Union and Confederate flags. Lots of people with trucks. Lots of people with 'Murica clothing.  Lots of people wearing brim hats and hunting camo. And speaking of hunting, half the workforce disappears for a week in November. Last but not least, big drinking culture. 

Also we don't have water fountains up here. We have 'bubblers.' 

Oh and we're home to the only publicly owned team in the NFL and the smallest city to have an NFL team.

Go Pack go. 

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, TwilySparky said:

New York? The weather is pretty bipolar. It can be below freezing one day and the next it can be in the 70's

Oh I get it, bi-polar! Sorta like the polar vortex happening here. 

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Iris Flower said:

Oh I get it, bi-polar! Sorta like the polar vortex happening here. 

Yep, last night it was raining freezing rain. It was so bad that my entire driveway was coated in sheet of ice. This morning? Completely gone and much warmer.

• Brohoof 2

Illinois is where I live...

• Illinois was the first state to ratify the 13th amendment to abolish slavery.
  • The Ice Cream Sundae originated in Evanston, IL.
  • The Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago is one of only three major free zoos in the county, and is the nation’s oldest public zoo.
  • The first all-color TV station debuted in Chicago (Channel 5).

20 minutes ago, TwilySparky said:

Yep, last night it was raining freezing rain. It was so bad that my entire driveway was coated in sheet of ice. This morning? Completely gone and much warmer.

Sounds almost as bad as our weather a few weeks ago. It was in the 30s. Then the temperatures plummeted to -20. Btu then later that same week it was in the 40s. My driveway is still a giant slab of ice and there isn't a single bag of road salt, sand or even cheap clay cat litter left in the entire south east of the state to melt any of it. 

Massachusetts has an abnormally large number of towns starting with W, and we pronounce all of them weird (but Mass. people pronounce everything weird lol)

e.g. Worcester (pronounced wuss-tur), Woburn (pronounced woo-burn)

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, AveryGamerDude said:

Apparently Cheese Dip was invented in Arkansas in 1935, and the state capital, Little Rock, hosts an annual World Cheese Dip Championship. Interesting. :P

That's amazing. :-D

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Iris Flower said:

Texas? Alabama? 

I didn't read the "state" part I thought you mean US in general. 

Where I live..weed. that's that. 

1 hour ago, Flow said:

I don't currently live in a U.S. State, but I lived in Hawaii (as a medical tourist for about a year). One thing I could say about the state is that standards of living are expensive there.

California would like to have a word with Hawaii.

• Brohoof 1

Speaking of meteorology, I think Oklahoma is pretty strange. Although the bipolar weather has spread to other areas, it has been here for a very long time. I'll never forget one day being 80 degrees and waking up to snow on the ground the next morning. Another time in the Western portion of the state (probably happens more often than even I saw) where it was in the 90s and they were under an ice storm warning for the next day. Then there was that one time where we had a polar vortex over us that dropped the temperatures down to -20 to -30F. It warmed up so rapidly that it hit 80 degrees just a week later.

Anything less than that I don't even flinch anymore. 60 degrees one day and 30 the next is standard fare around here during the winter.