Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think is the COOLEST thing about your home state? (USA)

AveryGamerDude

I saw somepony make a thread about the "weirdest quirks of your state", so I figured I'd make a similar thread about facts about your home state that you like. :ticking: I'll start.

My home state is Arkansas. Some facts about it that I think are pretty sweet is that Arkansas has the most dog owners per capita of any state, (Wasn't surprised by this. Pretty much everyone in my family owns or has owned a dog at some point. Myself included. :)) and it's the only state in the country that has an active diamond mine. (Though this I think is common knowledge. :P)

How about you? What are some cool things about YOUR home state? :)

• Brohoof 2

Virginia is really pretty (the western half, at least. I'm on the coast for college rn and it's so flat and boring here). There are about ten different well-known hiking trails within an hour's drive of my home. I'm too lazy to actually go hiking, but it's still cool.

Also, there's a dead guy on our state flag.

Edited by Zephyr / Karou

California is incredibly huge and diverse in climate and demographics that it’s rather difficult to focus on simply one cool thing about it. We have sequoias, redwood forests, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Death Valley (the hottest place in North America), and Mount Shasta. Like the rest of the West Coast, it’s a hiker’s paradise.

Also, California has plenty of vineyards, historical landmarks, cuisine, tech companies, movie star drama, and weed-smoking hipsters. 

Wisconsin is home to Green Bay, the smallest city to have an NFL team as well as the only team to be publicly owned. 

The Packers won the first two Super bowls, one of them being the infamous ice bowl. 

South east WI is home to the kettle moraine, a unique collections of forests, plants, animals and soil carved out by glaciers found no where else in the world. 

Way north Wisconsin has it's own Finnish enclave. 

Scenes for the Tom Cruise movie Knight and Day were filmed in Milwaukee, though for some reason they try to pass it off as Boston.

Milwaukee hosts Ponyville Ciderfest, one of the best MLP conventions going. 

My town survived getting hit by an EF-2 tornado. 

And during the 1980s, pro-wrestlers Ken Patera and Masa Saito tossed a bolder through a McDonald's Window and got in a fight with the Waukesha police department. 

Indiana has a lot of meth and a lot of brain-dead morons. Did you all know that some time back here in Indiana, a kid ate a thing of meth thinking it was some kind of treat and his dad didn't call for help because he was afraid to be busted for meth and the kid died. That is Indiana quality right there. You can't get that shit anywhere else.

Edited by Kyoshi

Spoiler

We have all the bikini ladies

California has lots of great historical(Missions, Universities), man made(Disneyland, Hollywood) and natural landmarks(Redwood Park, Death Valley, Yosemite) with plenty to do and lots of fun to be had

My state tends to get made fun of the most, but it has some of the most charitable people you will ever find. 

1 hour ago, BronyNumber2 said:

My state has really good 2nd Amendment freedoms. We are moving toward constitutional carry. :mlp_yeehaa:

Hope it passes.

My state also has constitutional carry. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

28 minutes ago, Twilight Luna said:

I think that @The Recherche can attest to this as well. Maryland has the best crabs and shrimp with old bay. :mlp_proud:

Though I may not live there any longer, I lived in Maryland for the majority of my life... and our seafood (especially crustaceans) is nearly peerless. :D

• Brohoof 1

Not a “state”, but... :P 

DC is a great place to learn. Tons of museums, lots of festivals and events. Also beautiful historic architecture, plenty of parks, good public transit, an interesting mix of people from around the world. The place where important things happen!

Studying here is living the dream. It feels like more of a home to me than Ohio ever was.

• Brohoof 1

The scenery is the best thing about West Virginia. I mean, if you're a tourist and you are looking for nature sights; we have plenty of beautiful locations to see!

IMG_1815.jpgIMG_1823.jpg

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Indiana has a lot of meth and a lot of brain-dead morons. Did you all know that some time back here in Indiana, a kid ate a thing of meth thinking it was some kind of treat and his dad didn't call for help because he was afraid to be busted for meth and the kid died. That is Indiana quality right there. You can't get that shit anywhere else.

They do have the Indy 500 though. Indiana helped make American car racing a thing, and it's part of the "Triple Crown" (Le Mans, Indianapolis, and Monaco). They also have New Harmony, which was a weird planned town that some people did back in the 19th century as an utopian experiment. 

4 hours ago, SkyPie said:

I get to see some mountains as we drive by, including Mt. Rainier. But I barely go out so it's a rare treat.

Washington is just as much of a hiker's paradise as California is. The Issaquah Alps and Mount Si are only a stone throw away from Seattle, and it's just as easy to get there by bus as it is by car. If you drive further east, the Yakima and Tri-Cities region are well known for their wine, thanks to the volcanic soil those cities lie on. 

3 hours ago, Anneal said:

They do have the Indy 500 though. Indiana helped make American car racing a thing, and it's part of the "Triple Crown" (Le Mans, Indianapolis, and Monaco). They also have New Harmony, which was a weird planned town that some people did back in the 19th century as an utopian experiment.

The majority of the population here is still made up of idiots. It is why I don't vote. Far too outnumbered here for my vote to mean anything. Trust me, I would love to at least take pride in my state since I really can't take any pride in the US as a whole, but even when I try to just have pride in Indiana, that is quickly shot down.

Edited by Kyoshi

To me, the coolest thing about Florida is the fact that it's the birthplace of NASCAR, and while so many other states have so much restricted laws, Florida doesn't. Which, can make things a little crazy here I'm not gonna lie :laugh:, but it's also a part of what makes living here so great, in my opinion. And then of course there's the beautiful weather and beaches. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1