Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Anyone Here Enjoy Photography?

Phosphor

Ever since I had my DSLR converted, I have really enjoyed Near IR and UV photography. I just love comparing how objects look in light that we cannot see. :ticking: Near IR landscapes appear dreamy with white vegetation and black skies. Flowers look so different in UV, with patterns that aren't visible to the human eye. :fluttershy:

I have a modded DSLR that handles Near IR, Visible, and UV-A with the appropriate filters. I also have a cooled thermal camera that operates in the midwave infrared band, but it's the size of a broadcast camera.  

Anypony else enjoy photography? If so, what kinda stuff do you typically photograph?

I took a photography class when I was in college and I did enjoy it. It gave me a new appreciation for the hobby/profession. Although the professor did cancel class quite a bit...

• Brohoof 1

I took photography classes last year and it was quite an enjoyable experience. I enjoy photographing nature and scenery, as they can be even more beautiful when captured properly.

• Brohoof 1

I love it! I don't really have a good camera or anything (i use my phone... and phone cameras suck, lol), but I love scenery enough to take photos of places that look pretty. The stuff that photographers do is really amazing.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I love photography, you'll often see me whip out my phone to snap a picture of the sky or a pretty flower I see or maybe a car that catches my attention... I've always gotten complimented for how professional my Instagram pictures look even though I just use my iPhone camera. I guess it's just one of those things you find you're a natural at. 

• Brohoof 1

• 9 months later...
2 minutes ago, EpicEnergy said:

I haven't tried professional photography before, but it just isn't something that interests me anyways. I do occasionally take pictures of things though and I enjoy it.

You're just like me then!:fluttershy:

• Brohoof 4

• 2 months later...

I take so many photos of things, almost every day. So I am into that stuff!

I think I know more than average about how to take good photographs, however... I usually don't, as I use my photos for other things like remembering numbers and locations.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh me! Me me! I am an amateur photographer who seems to have an affinity for snapping pictures of the sky, especially at sunset and sunrise. Also vehicles. And people. :coco:

I like to take pictures if I see some interesting scenery, or maybe something I know won’t be around forever so I can have a record for historical purposes, but mostly I take pics for painting reference if I see some interesting clouds, trees or water I want to add to a future painting. I mostly shoot video though; but I can take stills on my video cameras too. 

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 4:46 AM, Phosphor said:

Ever since I had my DSLR converted, I have really enjoyed Near IR and UV photography

How did you do that?

There are certain filters for DSLR cameras, but i cannot find any useful ones to use, especially so shield UV light. And I am only after trying to get rid of the greenish color of mercury vapor lamps (which I still have to somehow prove to you, is a thing)

• Brohoof 1

On 4/16/2020 at 9:59 AM, Super Splashee said:

How did you do that?

There are certain filters for DSLR cameras, but i cannot find any useful ones to use, especially so shield UV light. And I am only after trying to get rid of the greenish color of mercury vapor lamps (which I still have to somehow prove to you, is a thing)

There are facilities that will remove the factory filter and replace it with glass or a specific filter. It's done in a clean room since the sensor will be exposed. I think I used Life Pixel.

The green color is still a bit of a mystery to me since you mentioned it was a phosphor-coated bulb. I would expect that with a clear Hg vapor bulb

• Brohoof 1

22 minutes ago, Phosphor said:

The green color is still a bit of a mystery to me since you mentioned it was a phosphor-coated bulb. I would expect that with a clear Hg vapor bulb

Well, I can show you what my cell phone's camera does to a mercury vapor bulb, it is impossible to get the green out of there:
DSC_0224.thumb.jpg.92766e55070af348c8b09f8ef9fadd0e.jpg

This is absolutely not what the human eye sees. Both of these lamps should be whiteish, with the MV being slightly bluish (no green at all), and the LED should be more towards the yellow. Instead the LED lamp looks more like a MV lamp.

Here is a picture of the bulb (I was more interested in the ballast for the 50 W bulb, but you can see how the bulb is coated, not clear (we never had clear MV here):

DSC_0199.thumb.jpg.77fad31551e24d8f6854ae8c04205e6f.jpg

I can do much better than this, when I photo my own MV lamps with a real DSLR camera, in focus, etc. But these are the pics I have available right now.

• Brohoof 1

I don’t know much about photography. 

I snapped a nice pic of my horse once a few years ago, entered it into a photo contest online, and got second place.  Lost by one vote.   The one who won was a professional photographer. 

Was a proud moment for me. :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 3

9 hours ago, AppleButt said:

I snapped a nice pic of my horse once a few years ago, entered it into a photo contest online, and got second place.  Lost by one vote.   The one who won was a professional photographer.

Oh, if you are up for it, let's compete. I have two horses myself, and I am sure my camera can take 24 mega pixels, it will be the best. Since everyone knows, you measure how good a photo is by mega pixels! Or was it MHz? :wacko:

(Joking of course, except I do have two horses..... That I stole from my neighbor's yard)

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...