Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Were you a fan of ponies before G4?

EcchiChibi

(edited)

I'm just curious if anypony was a fan the old MLP shows that came before Friendship is Magic?

I personally never liked the design of the G2 or G3 ponies and if it wasn't for Lauren Faust's G4 pony design, I probably wouldn't be the Brony I am today.

Also, I just noticed I misspelled "Were"....I CAN'T SPELL Posted Image

Edited by EcchiChibi
  • Brohoof 1

I don't even think I knew about mlp back then. I *tried* to watch an episode once and I'm kinda glad I didn't know about it. It's really weird how much it changed, but I definitely would not be one without that change.

• Brohoof 2

I would still think ponies were the lamest, most girly-girl, retarded estrogen-releasing excuse for a franchise to this day, if Faust hadn't worked her voodoo magic and created FiM.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

When I was a little girl I had many ponies. Mostly the "petit ponies" which were little 2 inch plastic figures with combable tales.

I did have Sparkler (the pony Rarity is based on), Applejack G1, and baby Lickety Split and Minty. Those were hand-me-down toys from my cousins because they were a few years older and were not into ponies for long.

I had Ivy, Pinkie Pie, and Light Heart. As well as one of those lipstick ponies named Eve (I think). I liked to watch the cartoon VHS tapes I got from anywhere.

Even in my twenties (I'm 24 now) before I discovered MLP:FiM I often bought MLP

merchandise such as band aids, valentines, ad colouring books.

In short, I guess my answer to the original question has to be yes, but my appreciation for FiM is a different matter than simply liking the design of the ponies (though of course I am a fan) I am more engaged with them as characters now which is definitely a plus.

Edited by Pinkie Shy

To be honest, I had no idea it actually existed until Friendship is Magic came out, and saw many pictures of it on the internet.

There was one time when I saw something that could be from the older series, but I can't remember.

Yep. I remember the ponies with fondness as I used to love them growing up. Especially the movie, and I hope own all the episodes and the movie on DvD someday. Though, this is G1 we're talking about (which...I don't understand how more people didn't watch/know about them, I'm only 23 for goodness sake). I wasn't quite on top of things when G3 came out as I didn't have the channel that aired the show, though I doubt it would have appealed to me much as I severely dislike the way Spike had been altered.

• Brohoof 2

Nope. G3's animation is the most hideous piece of excrement I've ever seen, and I don't watch 80's cartoons, so I've never seen G1 or G2.

I have never liked G1 that much, G2 I never heard of, G3-G3.5 is godawful. Yet kids at my school think I watch the older generations. (then again 90% of kids at my school never even heard of Bronies, let alone memes)

• 11 months later...

yes, I was a fan before fim, I watched all the previous seasons.

and I still collect the older ponies. I liked g1 and pony tales a lot but I like fim the best

Uhh I would have to say no to this question. The other generations just didn't appeal to me as much as G4 and like many others I wouldn't be a Brony if it didn't make a complete 360 and actually make it entertaining and fun to watch. After I got into FIM I did try and watch some of gen1 and some of gen3 and gen1 wasn't bad but not all that enticing and gen3 was something I hope to forget. I think it is best that I keep to gen4 and move on from there. ;)

Post-ALL-the-Discord-gifs-discord-my-lit

Yep, I avoided the earlier MLPs like the plague and I'm pretty sure these were the generations I thought of when I first heard of 'bronies'. But, times have changed like, big-time and I love the current generation more than anyone could ever have imagined.

I remember watching a g3 mlp movie (don't recall which one) and I thought my eyes were going to burn out of their sockets. I literally  had pony-phobia back then, the pony designs scared the living manure out of me. the movie was a one of those "goody 4 shoes".  I would never become a fan of My Little Pony if it wasn't for Lauren Faust and the secret hypnotic messages hidden in each episode to brainwash people

I wasn't.

the designs and show used to creep me out. I was much more comfortable watching horrors with my father than watching cartoons in general, they used to freak me out as a child. Once I got a little older though, I kinda realised why other kids liked them so much. I did try to watch G3, but gave up on it and played video games instead.

Honestly i only like the ponies of Friendship is Magic.

Those are the only ponies that i feel connected to.

In FiM i really feel the emotions and thoughts of all the ponies.

But i didn't have any other experiences with mlp except the Friendship is Magic show.

So i don't really like the old shows, because i don't really know them.