Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Were you a fan of ponies before G4?

EcchiChibi

I did, actually. I think I'm one of the few people who liked G3. I'd watch the movies with my little cousin when she came over to my house. Back then, pegasus ponies were a BIG DEAL.

Around then was also when I started becoming interested in the toys. All I can remember is that I had a blue pony with a starfish on her bum. I think her name was "Sea Spray" or something.

But of course, G4 is infinitely better. :)

• 1 month later...

Of course not. Although, ironically enough I could and would sing the theme song from the commercials out of boredom from time to time.

Well i had some of the mlp toys when i was a little girls :P But tbh i never really liked playing with dolls all that much, i only liked them because they were horses ( animals were like my favorite thing when i was young) But i doubt i watched the cartoon :/ maybe i did but it was to bland or a long time ago so i don't remember.

I have to say I was mostly indifferent before Friendship is Magic appeared. The ponies just looked so...meh overall that they just never hooked my attention in any real way, shape or form. Not to mentions, outside of the animation, the G1 ponies almost looked like hippos.

I recall watching one of the previous generations eons ago when I was a wee lad, it was either G1 or G2 (more certain it was G2), I watched a couple of episodes because it happened to be on and I found the ponies cute. I recall enjoying it somewhat, but never seeing it again after that. I guess you could call it foreshadowing?

I have a lot of respect for the old gens for not only birthing the franchise that would become the one we know and love, but through good and bad times keeping it afloat long enough for Lauren Faust to work her magic. But yes, if it hadn't been for Lauren, I very likely wouldn't be the fan I am today.

To be honest, I wasn't a fan of ponies before MLP: FiM since I never saw the past generations of ponies.

When I was younger, I actually saw a lot of Superhero shows from DC and Marvel. Sadly, I didn't see any ponies before I saw Friendship is Magic.

I was already too old for MLP when it first came out in the 80's, so I didn't get into it then. I *was* aware of it though, and occasionally saw some of the original series episodes. I filed it into the same category as 'Gummi Bears', something I might have been interested in if I had been younger at the time.

Ponies, yes, My little Ponies.... no.

We have actual, real life, fully furred and alive miniature ponies and horses! So in that respect always been a fan of ponies. (We don't have any pink ones though sadly. But some do wear pink blankets!)

But didn't watch or have anything to do with the former generations of My Little Pony other that my little sister watched it and has a huge stuffed Minty! So yeah I did see it sometimes while baby sitting or whatever, and maybe drew things for my sis., but had no interest in it until....

Ok so the story is.... A group of us teens and Tweens (in our twenties) were playing pictionary. Someone handed me a card during my turn that said "Pinkie Pie" so I had to draw her.... (she was guessed correctly so I guess I got it right)

After that I looked up the real design to see how close I was and it was reasonably ok but the newer version of Pinkie was so cool looking I had to draw it again. Since then been drawing ponies left and right!

First show I watched of MLP FiM was Season 3 "Keep Calm and Flutter On" Where Fluttershy tames Discord. This is the episode that got me interested in actually watching the rest.

So after that I was a MLP FiM addict.

Mike.

Actually I was! When I was little I remember that the My Little Pony toys were the thing that was "in" or "cool". I even remember watching My Little Pony movies at home and I remember when they released the pegasus/unicorn/alicorn toys whoever had one was "cool" lol.  I remember I had 2-3 pegasi 3 earth ponies and I believe I had a unicorn. Alicorns seemed to always be sold out.  So bascically yes I was a huge fan before MLP:FiM. :)

I had some of the McDonalds's toys as a kid, that was it. In truth I was kind in different to it before FIM in the sense MLP was just something that existed. It was just another toy line like GI Joe or Barbie. I didn't like not dislike it, it was just kinda there. 

To be completely honest.....no, in fact I never saw any franchise and thought it was an old franchise never to be rebooted. And now look at me, liking this show so much it goes in my top 5.

No, I was absolutely not a fan of the earlier generations.  I admit, I never watched any episodes, but the overly girly commercials that had that infernal theme (which would get stuck in my head for days) were plenty enough to forge a lasting hatred towards the franchise in my <10 year-old self.  If you had asked me what I thought was the epitome of girly crap, I probably would have said My Little Pony, even before Barbie.  I was actually really annoyed when I heard about the reboot for the sole reason that I didn't want to see those stupid commercials with that stupid theme song...

• 8 years later...

No, I wasn't a fan of it before Friendship Is Magic. I remember watching a G3 movie with my sisters when I was younger, even though I don't remember much of it. Back then, I thought that MLP was a standard girl's cartoon, and it was at that time.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Never paid attention to MLP until I bumped into Equestria Girls, which was before I saw FiM.

So, yesn't. Though EQG is technically FiM so my answer is no. It started with G4 for me.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I caught some of the G3 stuff years prior, but I can't say I ever really liked it. The only thing I liked before watching FiM were those Sonic characters Vs MLP characters videos on YouTube, but at that point I knew literally nothing about the show or characters.

• The title was changed to Were you a fan of ponies before G4?