Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you feel about G5's potential main cast?

Plonkett

How do you feel about G5's potential main cast?  

13 users have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about G5's potential main cast?

• I like it
    • I don't like it
    • I don't care

When I saw the leaks, it looked like the altered Mane 6 designs were being to be for specials made by Boulder Media. Since we got a second of footage for Rainbow Road Trip, it looks like that's not the case, and that the altered Mane 6 is going to indeed be for G5. How do you feel about that? Are you fine with an alternate Mane 6 for G5, or do you think it should have a brand new main cast?

• Brohoof 1

I would truthfully prefer if they chose to crate a new cast for the upcoming generation, to be quite honest. I adore the Mane 6, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I would like them to be rehashed in the upcoming Generation. Generation 5 already has a lot to live up to, and the fact that they are likely to reuse the Mane 6 is only going to exacerbate the issue of constantly comparing the two series. :mlp_pout:

In the end, however... marketing power was why the Mane 6 were chosen to reappear in Generation 5, I imagine. I am sure Generation 5 will be enjoyable either way, but lightning rarely strikes the same place twice.

• Brohoof 5

It's a reboot. They'll still be different characters regardless if they're based on the mane 6 or not. Rainbow Dash and Rarity for example are completely different characters between generations 3 and 4. And I know I keep annoying people with this comparison, but Transformers, Optimus Prime from G1 is a radically different character between the Bayverse, Animated, Prime, etc., same with Bumblebee, Ratchet, Grimlock, etc. Sure, it's not uncommon for rebooted characters to be very similar to past incarnations, like Optimus has been wise and Stoic, with his TFP incarnation being the most ideal, but execution will really matter with how they're received.

Spoiler

Judging by the leaks, not all of the characters will be retaining most of their old personalities. From what it seems, only Rainbow Dash and Rarity will be the same for the most part, while the rest will drastically change, with Twilight, Fluttershy and Pinkie getting race changes, fundamentally changing significant parts their character, and AJ straight up getting a complete overhaul

Edited by This Whomps
  • Brohoof 3

I would also prefer to have a completely new cast instead of a rebooted cast, but what can you do. The Mane 6 have more than earned their popularity, so I understand why they would want the main characters of the next generation to be based off of them. This will also make the transition into G5 easier, so it is what it is to me. 

• Brohoof 3

What was in those leaks might not necessarily be the final result so it's hard to say what we're going to end up getting. Since it will be a new generation, I think there will be a new cast of characters though some will likely share names with those from previous generations.

• Brohoof 2

I dislike the idea of recreating the mane six and bringing their new designs into G5, as of now at least. I was hoping for G5 to be unique, and I can't see how it's going to be unique with the main characters being the same as G4 with the only change being their design. It's like, through keeping the mane six, G4's success is being used to make more money. Basically, it's like G5 is really G4.5. Regardless, I'm sure everything else outside of the mane characters will be unique.

Also, apart from the mane six redesign, all of what I said is purely speculative as G5 isn't near it's release yet. I may actually change my opinion of having the mane six in G5 depending on how it turns out.

On 2/26/2019 at 11:53 PM, This Whomps said:

It's a reboot. They'll still be different characters regardless if they're based on the mane 6 or not. Rainbow Dash and Rarity for example are completely different characters between generations 3 and 4. And I know I keep annoying people with this comparison, but Transformers, Optimus Prime from G1 is a radically different character between the Bayverse, Animated, Prime, etc., same with Bumblebee, Ratchet, Grimlock, etc. Sure, it's not uncommon for rebooted characters to be very similar to past incarnations, like Optimus has been wise and Stoic, with his TFP incarnation being the most ideal, but execution will really matter with how they're received.

This is very helpful! I'm a fan of Transformers, and I never had a problem with Optimus Prime being in different Transformers series. Maybe having the mane six in G5 isn't such a bad idea after all.

Edited by EpicEnergy

@EpicEnergy Seems you double posted. Fixed that for you.

Personally what I think is that they should have a new cast of characters not just rehash the same characters we dealt with for past 9 years.

• Brohoof 3

I'm hopeful for it all. I'm trying to go in with a positive mindset, so I want to go in thinking "this will be good".

As seems to be the theme here, I would much rather have them have an entirely new cast of main characters, rather than simply revamping the old ones.

I love the mane 6, I really do, and I love G4 as a whole, but I really want G5 to be something that sticks out and brings something new to the table, rather than just merely a continuation of what we already have now. If that's all Hasbro actually intends to do is to make G5 a reboot of G4 just with new character designs and a different animation style, I really don't understand why they would bother ending G4 in the first place, to be frank.

Edited by Rarity the Snowperior
  • Brohoof 3

Constipated.

I'd prefer similar M6 in a different world than different M6 in a similar world. Chances are we'll be getting similar M6 in a similar world. I mean, the new old architects have a raging boner for fake friendship. There ain't no way they'll be putting fun, world, and story before lessons. Also, take a look at the minisodes. Those are the team's understanding of fun. This is our future. Old gods deliver us.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm of the opinion that a new mane cast would be preferable, just so that the new series can be sure it can set itself apart  from the previous one. The way they seem to be going about it, it feels more like a bizarro version of G4, which I think will probably turn more people off than a completely new universe would.

Part of my opinion of this comes down to (and I realize I'm going on a teeny bit of a tangent here) how reboots in general have also tended to be not-so-well-received by fans of the original (Powerpuff Girls, TTG, Ben 10, etc). When reboots do work, they tend to be under very special circumstances, like 2017 Ducktales (released a LONG time after the original ended, generally keeping a similar premise to the original and keeping most of the characters roughly the same) and, a recent discovery of mine, the 2019 Carmen Sandiego Netflix reboot (which, despite using the same characters as other installments but slightly redesigned, is based on a franchise that didn't follow a single continued story arc and was already being continually rebooted anyways.) Even then, those series aren't immune to comparisons to the originals. I know MLP is also based on a highly rebootable franchise, but at this point it's so popular and has generated such a deep continuity and dedicated following that rebooting it at this point would be less like rebooting Carmen Sandiego and more like rebooting Gravity Falls (which would no doubt send LOTS of Fallers in a tizzy.)

That said, if they do stick to rebooting the Mane 6, I do think there are things they could do to make it work better- namely, just making the setting and the characters as different as possible from G4. I saw a comment on EqD that had some interesting character ideas, like making Applejack a deputy of a western town, or Twilight a simple book seller.  Maybe don't have all 6 be friends from the very start- pair them off into their respective pony races, so you have three different groups of friends to follow (or maybe more). And I'm probably in the minority when I say this, but I'd actually like to see new voice actors for them. Because honestly, my worst case scenario would be if G5 ended up being this "sort of almost G4 but not quite" kind of rehash, basically unable to escape G4's shadow as a result of being too similar. So while my preference would be some sort of continuation of the world of G4, next best thing would just to make it entirely its own thing (heck, you could even imagine it as the same world as G4, just maybe thousands of years into the future, where Equestria has changed).

1 hour ago, Bas said:

TBH I feel DT 2017 is nice - at least to me - because it went away from it's predecessor in a lot of ways. It got into the modern high tech teen era, it FINALLY gave the ducklings different personalities and they aren't clones of each other anymore, Donald is part of the show etc.

Don't get me wrong, it was able to keep the nostalgia from the old show, but it was certainly changed enough.

(Going a bit off topic here)

Yeah, those two things definitely changed significantly (changing Webby and the triplets was probably more well received than making the tech in the show more modern), as well as the incorporation of Lena. At the same time though, the whole premise of "Scrooge and family go on adventures all over the world and encounter mystical creatures and forces" has pretty much stayed the same, as well as other characters like Scrooge, Launchpad, Fenton Crackshell/Gizmoduck (aside from a race lift) and Magica de Spell (no Italian accent, but her objective of trying to steal Scrooge's lucky dime stays the same). 

Not sure if my point still stands, but there you go. :) I actually never grew up with the original DT and have only watched a couple episodes, so I actually don't have too good of a frame of reference, I admit.

I find the designs interesting but until we get a chance to meet these characters and see their world, I'm not to say to much on it. Some the changes do bode for interesting directions, Flutters the Unicorn, Twi the Earth Pony and Pinkie the Pegasus intrigue me alot.