Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Display shelves and trailer walls

ManaMinori

(edited)

Does anyone have any idea if those common display shelves can hold up on trailer or mobile home walls? The walls, unlike those in regular housing, are wood panel walls- really thin and flimsy- in fact, the faux boards can be pushed on and have a bit of give to them, since there's not much sturdy material in between. Is shelving with these walls impossible?

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

I seem to remember the walls on mobiles and trailers can be a bit weak if you're considering putting anything heavy on a shelf. It would probably be better to get a shelf that's free-standing and set it up against the wall rather than supporting the weight from the wall itself. 

On 3/1/2019 at 8:28 PM, Dreambiscuit said:

I seem to remember the walls on mobiles and trailers can be a bit weak if you're considering putting anything heavy on a shelf. It would probably be better to get a shelf that's free-standing and set it up against the wall rather than supporting the weight from the wall itself. 

I sort of feared that. What free standing shelves would you recommend?

19 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

I sort of feared that. What free standing shelves would you recommend?

I don't think I can name a specific brand offhand. I usually just go to the store and buy whatever's inexpensive and big enough to hold all my stuff. But in general I'd recommend something with a wide base that won't wobble too much for being free-standing. Many shelves have fasteners in the back that can attach to a wall for added stability without putting the whole weight of the shelf on it. And if there aren't any available with these fasteners, you can always put a screw eye into the wall and simply wire the shelf to it. 

• 1 month later...