Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

About getting mad at people who are sad about animals getting eaten

heavens-champion

(edited)

What is it about being sad about animals getting eaten that makes people so angry? Just because animals need to eat, doesn't mean you can't feel sad about the baby animal getting swallowed by a snake. And then these people bring up the fact that people eat meat just to shut them up. Just because someone eats meat doesn't mean they can't be an animal lover.

Edited by heavens-champion
  • Brohoof 1

I've never had the experience of someone getting angry at me for being sad about an animal being eaten, but I can attest to being an animal lover despite the fact I also lover to gorge myself on steak. The only time I've really been sad about that sort of thing was when I was watching my mom's boyfriend of the time feed a live rat to his python and by then I'd grown used to the necessity of it but unfortunately the snake had taken a hold of the rat by the side and was trying to just swallow it that way without suffocating first. With snakes in particular it can be hard to watch because it's not a slow process and it's one of the few we're more often exposed to.

It's... complicated. Probably moreso for modern people than it used to be, since everything is so processed now that easy to detach from the reality of meat. It just winds up on our plate as ground beef and we don't have to think about the cow.

It's the sad reality of this universe that spawned though. Very wasteful from our perspective. Fueled by lethal competition on all scales. Millions die so that just one can survive; basic evolution, and also a game played in every single birth of most life forms.

I don't know why anyone should get angry at anyone over being sad about this though, unless it's a kneejerk reaction towards the more aggressive members of veganism who have created the standard for which all of them are usually judged (as an example, PETA metaphorically had a party on Steve Irwin's grave a few days ago, generating a tsunami of backlash). Last decade, I remember billboards saying that milk was literally poisonous for humans; a propaganda project paid for by animal rights activists. This is how it always goes, unfortunately. The most extreme members of any group always become the poster children for how outsiders judge said group.

Generally I try to keep myself detached from all of this. I don't like that we live in a dog-eat-dog world, but it's what we've been given. If all else fails though I subscribe to the Native American-inspired concept of thanking the spirits of the slain for their sacrifice. James Cameron's Avatar is the only time I've seen a nod to it in entertainment, so here it is. Neytiri expresses my thoughts on the violence of existence in this universe pretty accurately. I've never been a hunter, but I've always said that if I ever found myself in a situation where I had to hunt for survival, I would learn one of these prayers. And I would waste no part of the creatures. If there was something I couldn't use, I'd give it to someone who could.

• Brohoof 1

Some are sensitive than others but I'd always have this word "Darwinism" plays in my head as a reminder that's just how life works in order for it to keep evolving. I honestly don't like seeing babies or younglings getting kill but yeah. As for human hunters, I'm against it if they're doing it for sport. 

• Brohoof 2

Personally, I don't care if people get sad or mad if I eat animals. Eating meat is part of what makes us human and denying that is a big mistake in my eyes.

• Brohoof 1

36 minutes ago, TwilySparky said:

Personally, I don't care if people get sad or mad if I eat animals. Eating meat is part of what makes us human and denying that is a big mistake in my eyes.

Yeah...that's how I feel about it. :twi:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't like to see a snake eat a rat or rabbit or anything for that matter. I always switch channels when I see animals fighting and eating each other on Animal Planet. It's gross, unsettling and I don't like seeing it. I don't deny that that's the way of nature but I don't have to revel in it. I eat meat and accept it as a fact of life. Humans are carnivores by nature and come equipped with incisors for the purpose. It's in our physical design. I understand that people can get upset at seeing something getting eaten, and I sympathize. It's part of human nature to feel compassion too. Nature can be hard, but to live on planet earth is to accept certain inevitable facts and make the best of it, with due regard for the feelings of all involved.

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 2

On 3/4/2019 at 11:30 AM, TwilySparky said:

Eating meat is part of what makes us human and denying that is a big mistake in my eyes.

Eating meat is actually not a part of what makes us human. Eating would be, but not meat specifically, as humans are and have always been omnivores. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
9 minutes ago, Olly said:

Eating meat is actually not a part of what makes us human. Eating would be, but not meat specifically, as humans are and have always been omnivores. 

And omnivores eat meat as well as plants.

I personally think that if anyone gets mad about anyone eating or not eating anything, they are being stupid.

Edited by ~Dusky~

Just now, ~Dusky~ said:

And omnivores eat meat as well as plants.

It just means you eat what's available. Or in most people's cases, whatever they like. 

33 minutes ago, Olly said:

Meat is actually shown to be very helpful in the process of helping muscles rebuild. It's mostly shown that vegans are the type of people who will most likely be less developed in that region due to the lack of complex proteins from food sources like meat.

Just now, TwilySparky said:

Meat is actually shown to be very helpful in the process of helping muscles rebuild. It's mostly shown that vegans are the type of people who will most likely be less developed in that region due to the lack of complex proteins from food sources like meat.

It's generally healthier to be vegan. Gives you energy, prolongs life, all kinds of good things. I know people who don't eat any meat and are absolute units. 

But I wouldn't have to bring any of that up if you didn't respond the way you did. After all, I only rejected the idea that eating meat makes someone human.. that's an absurd statement. 

Other animals eat other animals and humans are animals too so, that's how I've always looked at it. I don't 'get mad' at others who are saddened by this, I leave it alone. Only time someone like a vegan or vegetarian pisses me off is if they act all elitist about it or if they try to use any kind of guilt tactics on others. There's a line in the sand and that is where it gets crossed. 

• Brohoof 3

17 minutes ago, Olly said:

It's generally healthier to be vegan. Gives you energy, prolongs life, all kinds of good things. I know people who don't eat any meat and are absolute units. 

But I wouldn't have to bring any of that up if you didn't respond the way you did. After all, I only rejected the idea that eating meat makes someone human.. that's an absurd statement. 

I'm just saying from what I've seen.

31 minutes ago, TwilySparky said:

That's true that vegans will generally have a harder time getting certain nutrients - vegetarianism still allows you to eat dairy products and eggs, which can substitute meat reasonably well.  Vitamin B12 is a big one, since you can only really get that from animal products. Though if said vegans are alright with eating fortified grains and GMOs, then getting proper nutrients from a vegan diet isn't as much of a problem. 

• 1 month later...

Here's somethin for you: I'm an animal lover and future veterinary technician but yet I couldn't imagine my life without meat, so..... that being said, I don't ever plan on becoming vegetarian/vegan. 

And the fact that people are converting their dogs and cats, and other non plant eating pets to vegan...that's just wrong in my eyes. I don't support it one bit. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt

It’s natural to feel sad, however, it’s also natural the necessity of eating meat for other animals and ourselves. Elitist vegans make me mad because they are ignorant to the fact the plants ALSO feel pain :unamused:

Someone who becomes frustrated at someone else over being sad that an animal gets eviscerated by another (of all things to get mad about), simply tend to be a hard ass with no understanding of compassion.

So, meh

It would be impossible to survive in many parts of the world, specifically the colder regions, without eating meat. Meat eating is absolutely essential to our diverse use of resources so that people don't over-do things like over-farm or exterminate animals either directly or indirectly over land and vegetation. For example, hunting deer keeps the herd healthy, especially over winter. Over populated deer herds die a slow horrible death over winter when their food supply is scarce. They will spread disease far more easily and could even poison other animals. Deer survive because they are harvested, and always have been harvested, by predators.

Over farming and the use of chemical fertilizers is another huge, often neglected problem for the vegan pushers. Having live stock keeps farming fields fertile and healthy. Without cattle herds, many farms would totally fail as their soil turned to dust. Especially in poor areas of the world, live stock literally keeps people alive over harsh climactic periods, not to mention over droughts or other times when harvests fail or yield poorly. 

It is evident that meat is both good and bad for our health, and like so many things in life, it's important to stay balanced. Over-processed anything is really bad for you - simple carbs like pasta and pastries are way and by the absolute worst things you can eat. Eating fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts, meats and fish is the way to go - and I think that's pretty obvious to everyone. A diverse diet is a good diet.

The crowd that shames others for eating meat is just another cult of people who want to matter. It's very enticing for of us to be a part of 'a cause' where it's easy to differentiate your 'tribe' against other 'inferior tribes'. Now that, human nature.

On 4/10/2019 at 7:45 PM, Steve Piranha said:

Elitist vegans make me mad because they are ignorant to the fact the plants ALSO feel pain :unamused:

They don't, plants lack both a brain or central nervous system which means they can't feel anything. Yes, plants can react to certain stimuli but it's a bit of a stretch to say that they feel pain. 

• Brohoof 1

25 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

They don't, plants lack both a brain or central nervous system which means they can't feel anything. Yes, plants can react to certain stimuli but it's a bit of a stretch to say that they feel pain. 

That doesn’t mean the lack an alternate system which allows them to feel however. I saw a video from a Latin American YouTuber where he showcases an experiment where plants do indeed feel to stimuli, possibly pain. 

Here’s a page that had a video, but was taken down

http://www.viralhub247.com/article/read/do-plants-feel-pain-this-experiment-gives-the-answer

This is the video where I found out. It’s in Spanish however. I’ll be sure to find a documentary in English about such experiment now that I got the name of the professor 

Just now, Steve Piranha said:

That doesn’t mean the lack an alternate system which allows them to feel however.

Maybe, but there's no scientific proof that such an alternate system exist. And I wouldn't go around and be all smug about how "plants can feel pain too" based on a possibility. 

1 minute ago, Steve Piranha said:

I saw a video from a Latin American YouTuber where he showcases an experiment where plants do indeed feel to stimuli, possibly pain. 

Keyword being "possibly". 

Just now, Steve Piranha said:

All this article proves is that plants react to stimuli, not that they feel pain.  

• Brohoof 1

“You’re sad about animals being eaten.”

”I eat animals.”

”I must be making you sad because I’m eating animals.”

”Because I’m making you sad you must think I’m an asshole.”

”FUCK YOU! I’m not an asshole you are.”

This is how people internalize things to perceive an attack when one doesn’t actually exist. 

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Maybe, but there's no scientific proof that such an alternate system exist. And I wouldn't go around and be all smug about how "plants can feel pain too" based on a possibility. 

Keyword being "possibly". 

All this article proves is that plants react to stimuli, not that they feel pain.  

Possibly doesn’t mean the conclusion is negative either, specially since that field still needs study. But the mere fact they show a reaction speaks a strong possibility they DO in fact, feel pain. Also, plants are living being as well