Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Masculinity, Feminism, and Security

Snowball Macaroon

How many of you believe that MLP:FIM and Bronism has had a positive influence on males with their feminine traits? Too long have men felt like they needed to be macho, dominant or controlling in order to prove they're strong or in control of their lives. I am a male, and one thing I love about the fandom of MLP:FIM is that it helped me feel more comfortable with my feminine traits. Ironically, it also helped me overcome my sexual insecurities. Growing up, I knew there was more feminine traits in me, so I "thought" I was gay Along with my Asperger, it was one of the reasons why I kept to myself all the time. Bronism has helped me come out of my skin.

• Brohoof 6

For me personally? If people want to see me as feminie then go ahead, if they want to see me as macho then also go ahead. I feel that people shouldn't have to adhere to what they are supposed to be in our society. If a 20 year old male (that's me) wants to like MLP then I think it should be well accepted.

• Brohoof 3

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

I think there is nothing wrong with liking either things that can be called "feminine" or "masculine."

I am a 29 year old guy, who does manly things like, watching movies and wrestling and playing 18+ video games.

But i also like to enjoy more feminine things like My little pony and Disney Movies.

As long as you enjoy the things that you do without hurting anybody with it, i think you're okay.

Honestly thought the whole "boys have to like boy things and girls have to like girl things" was stupid even before I was a brony. My initial bias against the show was just me not wanting to watch something "kiddy". If anything, what the show opened me up to was never to judge anything based solely on appearances and to not care so much about what other people thought later on in my life. 

• Brohoof 1

MLP did a good job on balancing it out without making it too stereotypical on both genders. However, they do still keep that certain stereotypes, but that's all depends on what kind of character they wish to applied. 

I never really saw it as embracing feminine traits or eschewing masculine ones. More like an expansion and reinforcement on what counts as positive traits to have and nurture in one's self. 

• Brohoof 2

The fact is, there are things that boys respond to by nature, and things that girls respond to by nature. There are always exceptions to every rule though, and that's great. To love something originally intended for girls doesn't make boys less masculine; it simply means they are secure enough in their skin to like a show about pastel ponies. Some would call it macho for a man to say 'screw the world' and like what he wants. I call it a broad range of tastes and interests, which is a nice thing to have. 

• Brohoof 1

This for me is such an interesting thread for me as a uni student researching gender and identity and Fandoms! This is also an issue within society and I think this is such a good fandom to allow people to be themselves! Too often we are told to fit into a box! It would such a big help for you to answer a survey I have made directed towards this topic and for you to have a say in my research! https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/HMBNLMQ

I really look forward to hearing what you have to say  :D  

I've never really been one for the "macho-man" schtick. Like, I'm not into cars, or trucks, or football, or beer, or dark coffee, or protein, or... well, any of that stuff, really. I like art, music, cooking, cleaning, literature, etc. I never really had anyone judge me for being "effeminate" either, so I didn't really care.

MLP did help me embrace that a little more though. I think labels like "masculine" and "feminine" are stupid anyway; if you like something, just like it because it's YOUR taste, and that's where the conversation ends.

Try this; when you get to know some more of the community members here, see how many of the male users you get to know seem like they've been confident before an during their time as a MLP fan. I'm guessing there aren't many that were confident, trouble-free people before ponies came along. Because bronies are so open and accepting, it's a safe haven of a fanbase for the less confident or otherwise less masculine males out there, or at least that's how I see it. How your masculinity or femininity develops from there is more than likely mutually exclusive between people- I don't think ponies inherently nurture more feminine men. But I could be wrong.

I'm not male, but I do get the occasional tease from others just because it's abnormal for old people like me to be watching them. And I kind of agree with that, but I wouldn't call it a rule. (Not to justify myself... with myself... or anything. It just doesn't seem all that damaging to the adult psyche.)

• Brohoof 1

On 3/8/2019 at 8:25 PM, Dark defender said:

Eh, to me it's just another show, in reality I'm probably as masculine as they come especially since I have no feminine traits  

I call horse shit. Even the most macho of men can't help but feel sentimental at times. It's called right-brained mentality

On 3/10/2019 at 9:34 PM, Meson Bolt said:

I've never really been one for the "macho-man" schtick. Like, I'm not into cars, or trucks, or football, or beer, or dark coffee, or protein, or... well, any of that stuff, really. I like art, music, cooking, cleaning, literature, etc. I never really had anyone judge me for being "effeminate" either, so I didn't really care.

MLP did help me embrace that a little more though. I think labels like "masculine" and "feminine" are stupid anyway; if you like something, just like it because it's YOUR taste, and that's where the conversation ends.

As I commented on Bird's reply, there's nothing stupid with masculinity or femininity. Our mind frame tends to be the problem

On 3/12/2019 at 2:58 PM, Sunset Rose said:

Try this; when you get to know some more of the community members here, see how many of the male users you get to know seem like they've been confident before an during their time as a MLP fan. I'm guessing there aren't many that were confident, trouble-free people before ponies came along. Because bronies are so open and accepting, it's a safe haven of a fanbase for the less confident or otherwise less masculine males out there, or at least that's how I see it. How your masculinity or femininity develops from there is more than likely mutually exclusive between people- I don't think ponies inherently nurture more feminine men. But I could be wrong.

I'm not male, but I do get the occasional tease from others just because it's abnormal for old people like me to be watching them. And I kind of agree with that, but I wouldn't call it a rule. (Not to justify myself... with myself... or anything. It just doesn't seem all that damaging to the adult psyche.)

Not at all. If anything it helps structure both adult psyche and childhood mentality. Kinda like Winnie The Poo, where psychologists are still baffled to this day about the characters in the show

Honestly, I feel like bronies are more insecure about their masculinity then the rest of the population. I mean, it's not that unusual to find someone denying that the show is targeted to young girls or claiming that the show and or fandom is actually masculine. 

Edited by Gestum
  • Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Snowball Macaroon said:

I call horse shit. Even the most macho of men can't help but feel sentimental at times. It's called right-brained mentality

As I commented on Bird's reply, there's nothing stupid with masculinity or femininity. Our mind frame tends to be the problem

It's true, I have no feminine traits

5 hours ago, Dark defender said:

It's true, I have no feminine traits

Same here, all my traits are incredibly masculine - even the one where I cried watching perfect pear.

Perhaps especially that one :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've always had a healthy feminine side for a guy, due to the number of Aunts and my grandmother on my dad's side influence. Seeing others learn to embrace that side is a positive thing. And that the show has helped is great!

• 1 year later...