Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if Sombra isn't Sombra?

ManaMinori

(edited)

Many seem to be freaking out over Sombra being shown in the season 9 teaser. But what if that's not really Sombra? What if it's Chrysalis in disguise?  It would make sense, since she, unlike Sombra, knows about the Tree of Harmony and would have reason to destroy it, to get the Mane 6 out of the way. She would also know about Flurry Heart, and have reason to kidnap her, as revenge at Shining Armor and Cadence.  Logically, given these factors,  it seems more likely that the Sombra we saw in the teaser trailer is Chrysalis. 

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 3

Makes sense, as we have quite an amount of loose ends with villains, too much for a season. We got him, we got Cozy and Tirek, and finally...

Spoiler

Grogar, as the vector was seen in the leaks

• Brohoof 1

Interesting train of thought...however, there's one fatal flaw with that theory. The trailer clearly showed the Tree of Harmony being destroyed by a dark crystal. King Sombra is the only one who has the power to manipulate dark crystals. :mlp_wink: Changelings can not replicate powers that are unique to a certain character, or else Chrysalis would've been able to replicate Cadance's love magic and give herself all the love fuel she'd ever need. Besides, there's no way they would fake us out like that on the final season knowing Jim Miller and his admiration for Sombra. 

• Brohoof 2

I speculated over this in one of my status updates, and, yeah. The trailer never explicitly states that Sombra is Sombra... but if your theory on it being Chrissy is correct then why would she transform into Sombra of all things? :confused: Wouldn't Cadance or Shining draw a bit less attention?

Oh wow, another hole in this theory I just realized...a massive one...

Chrysalis was trying to steal the Elements of Harmony in The Mean 6 for herself, not trying to destroy them. Why would she destroy her only means to compensate for the power she lost when she lost the hive? :mlp_toldya: Sombra already has power while she doesn't, therefore he would have much more motive to destroy the Tree of Harmony. This theory does not just go against Occam's Razor, it also goes against Cui bono, the logical principle that the one who benefits most from a crime is most often the culprit. :mlp_wink:

Not to mention that now with the new trailer we clearly see Sombra's soldiers with the same mind-control helmets that were used in the season 5 finale (alternate future) and I am having trouble seeing how Crysalis could obtain, let alone create, such a thing with her current magic.

Of course anything is possible, but I find it doubtful.

• Brohoof 1

There's also the same kind of dark smoke around the empire and the same orange color in the sky in the trailer in one shot. That is totally something Queen Chrysalis could replicate. No, King Sombra is actually returning. :mlp_bedeyes:

This was actually one of the very first thoughts when I first saw Sombra as the teaser. I think you are right about that. Sombra has already "according to people I read online" been redeemed, so it would make zero sense to do it in the show too. 

On 3/5/2019 at 11:00 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

Many seem to be freaking out over Sombra being shown in the season 9 teaser. But what if that's not really Sombra? What if it's Chrysalis in disguise?  It would make sense, since she, unlike Sombra, knows about the Tree of Harmony and would have reason to destroy it, to get the Mane 6 out of the way. She would also know about Flurry Heart, and have reason to kidnap her, as revenge at Shining Armor and Cadence.  Logically, given these factors,  it seems more likely that the Sombra we saw in the teaser trailer is Chrysalis. 

They could bring up Starlight Glimmer's time line stunt, insert a repercussion, and bring in the Sombra from his timeline where he is dominate.

Edited by Singe