Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Which genre has the most appeal?

Plonkett

Which genre has the most appeal?  

22 users have voted

1. 1. Which genre has the most appeal?

• Action/adventure
    • Horror
    • Comedy
    • Drama
    • Romance
    • Mystery
    • Thriller

Which of these genres do you think have the most appeal and popularity by the general audience? Personally, I'm going to go with action/adventure. All of the most popular franchises fall into action/adventure, many of which are fantasy, science fiction, and superhero. Action/adventure to me has the most complex story structures, and you can put any of the other genres in them (granted, you can do the same with the other genres, but they have a more specific plot structure).

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Flutterstep said:

I think action/adventure as it’s the easiest genre to make and appeals to a larger demographic.

That depends though. Not everyone's going to be into ultraviolent stuff like Rambo or The Raid.

32 minutes ago, vgmaster9 said:

That depends though. Not everyone's going to be into ultraviolent stuff like Rambo or The Raid.

That’s how vast the genre is. You’ve got your mature rated content, then you’ve got movies for younger audiences like racing, war films, superhero movies and animated kids films - all categorised as action/adventure.

Comedy. 

Everyone is trying to include humor in their films. Most western animation and youth programming is focused on including comedic elements. You can't get past an action movie without a zany one liner and you can't get past a romance film without them finding humor in an awkward moment. Even drama's have their comedic relief moments. 

Unrelated, but aren't horror and thriller the same? 

It seems action/adventure is by far the most mainstream genre now, all over the world even. Comic book movies are the prime example of this. Sadly this means most of them are basically identical. Gotta get that US and Chinese money, innovation is not a factor. Second place goes to the countless terrible comedies that people eat up en masse. I would say romance has the least appeal but surprisingly horror is a tricky one too, as anything remotely good gets shunned by audiences. These days any horror film that goes for the subtle, slow burn is hated by moviegoers, though often loved by critics. Basically anything horror that doesn't contain material for idiots to regurgitate memes of 24/7 isn't liked by the general public.

42 minutes ago, Flutterstep said:

That’s how vast the genre is. You’ve got your mature rated content, then you’ve got movies for younger audiences like racing, war films, superhero movies and animated kids films - all categorised as action/adventure.

Not to mention tons of fantasy and sci fi films.

16 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Unrelated, but aren't horror and thriller the same? 

Not really. Horror relies and fear and shock, while thriller relies on suspense and twists-and-turns.

55 minutes ago, vgmaster9 said:

Not really. Horror relies and fear and shock, while thriller relies on suspense and twists-and-turns.

So I suppose suspense would be a more fitting term. 

I guess you are talking about movies, right?

If so, I think the horror genre has the most appeal.

Gotta go with action/adventure. Comedy and horror admittedly have appeal that's almost as strong and elements of them seem to be worked into just about everything. However, the kind of movies I see getting the most attention are most often action flicks, and I see more people who still watch superhero movies despite claiming to be tired of them than people who still watch comedy and horror movies despite not laughing at them or being scared. 

• Brohoof 1

I think that action/adventure is the most popular genre of film but I am personally into comedy and horror.

• Brohoof 1

While I like action/adventure/horror, Mysteries movie are usually more entertaining for me. It's tends to stick to me better after watching a really good one. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Every kick ass SAW movies ever made there's puzzle solving, mystery, deadly traps, "OK, FLUTTERSHY I WANT TO PLAY A GAME YOU KNOW SOME YOUR FRIENDS HATE YOU SO YOU AND PARTY PONY PINKIE PIE WILL PLAY THE CUPCAKE GAME YOU HAVE 60 SECONDS LIVE OR DIE MAKE YOUR CHOICE" ! 

I think comedy would have an appeal for all sexes and ages. Action/Adventure is often preferred by guys and romantic movies often favored by girls, but comedy has a little something for everybody. Action/Adventure often has the biggest budget and the most promotion so it’s probably the highest grossing in any case.  

• Brohoof 3

• 4 months later...

I kinda picked thriller for myself cause suspense is very interesting and it really pulls you into a story.

As for general viewers, I’d say comedy or romance cause there are lots of things with those genres in them and they seem to go over well with a lot of people. People like things that are light hearted most of the time cause they wanna feel good when they’re watching things.