Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will we ever get a My Little Pony anime?

ManaMinori

(edited)

Anime is HUGE, and have been bleeding over into Western Pop Culture since the 90's. With Hollywood jumping to adapt more and more anime series, from Death Note to Battle Angel Alita, Netflix streaming a load of series, peddled merch everywhere... we can expect even more anime involvement to come. 

But where does MY LITTLE PONY fit in on the anime craze? Japan has been rather reluctant to embrace these cute pastel ponies. Sure, there have been some pony cafe's and anime stylized comics to come out of the land of the Rising Sun, but it really hasn't caught on like Equestria Girls has, apparently. I believe that in order for an actual anime to be given to MLP, we would need to go back to the roots of the franchise, back to a time when region exclusive ponies hit Japan in the form of anthro ponies under the Takara brand (in collaboration with Hasbro) and give it a reboot deserving of its own anime series. If the g1 theme of stylish ponies (Osharena Ponii/ Kawaii Ponii) was kept, then I could easily see it working for a magical girl avenue, more than anything- Much like Cardcaptor Sakura (which has also warranted a reboot out of it's 90's original animation). 

How do you guys think a pony anime could/ should be handled?

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

We're weebs cause western cartoons don't give us what anime does. Anime has something for everyone. Pony is a niche of a niche. We already have enough magical girls and idol groups. Fantasy? Good luck going against popular isekai and seinen series. You can never win against best girls like Rem and Megumin with ponies. What's left? Animals? We have electric hamsters, we have bird lolis. We're all set in that department too. Plus MLP doesn't do that well either. The cute art style is only ever truly realized in ponies, so the creature variety has always been shit.

So how would one handle MLP anime? By buying H-Bro, fire everyone, and outsource MLP to a Japanese studio. It's the only way to be sure.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

A Pony Anime could go one of two ways, an EQG style anime or a pure pony style. Either could be a mix of slice of life and monster/problem of the week with some slowly growing personal subplots. I've seen PMVs that touch on the idea but nothing outside of that, some were even an Anthro Anime style.

On 3/8/2019 at 11:59 AM, Goat-kun said:

We already have enough magical girls and idol groups

Japan's magical girl market is even more oversaturated, yet somehow E.G. still caught on more? How many anthro-critter worlds does Japan actually have? Seems mostly they just put bunny ears on a normal human and be done with it, or just be like, "yeah, my girlfriend is actually a kitsune, but I'll never see her real form"

That said though, an Anime E.G. would be just as interesting as an anime FiM.

I can see EQG as option 1) oversexualized substandard highschool cliche or option 2) something where the anime creators actually give a damn

Flash Sentry the mecha pilot was forced to go to all girls school with other mecha pilots who are just girls. Then the group of 6 girls are in love with the main protagonist (Flash Sentry excessive coughing) and then they forced to compete with each other, which eventually would result them forming a harem  (another fit of excessive coughing) How our greatest heroes are going to handle the rivalry from Sunset Shimmer?

37 minutes ago, R.D.Dash said:

I can see EQG as option 1) oversexualized substandard highschool cliche or option 2) something where the anime creators actually give a damn

You could do something interesting and create an entirely different mlp mythos. The thought hit me when I was looking at those Japanese E.G. figures, what if they could assume either form? No Pony dimension and parallel Human one, just a thing they do for (insert daemon lore reason here). Or maybe have Equestria as a spirit world that overlaps this one.

• Brohoof 1

Doubtful...but it would be nice to have a MLP anime pony or human. If they're going for humanized, I would expect them to look like this .  Hell, sure there's a lot of those "magical girly" anime you guys talked about, but these days now.. Japan couldn't care less for unique anime anymore. As long it's "cute" with big eyes and girls, it will eventually just be pass as being popular anyways. So the hell with it, if they're planning to make a MLP anime. But final answers...100% doubtful due to copyright (unless Hasbro gives permission)

16 hours ago, BornAgainBrony said:

Japan's magical girl market is even more oversaturated, yet somehow E.G. still caught on more? How many anthro-critter worlds does Japan actually have? Seems mostly they just put bunny ears on a normal human and be done with it, or just be like, "yeah, my girlfriend is actually a kitsune, but I'll never see her real form"

That said though, an Anime E.G. would be just as interesting as an anime FiM.

Caught? Sauce.

If you want critters I'll gladly point you in the direction of Pokemon. When it comes to monster girls, there are quite a few who are pulling their roles better than any EQG wench. Those don't even act like horses, or teenagers for that matter. Horo (Spice and Wolf) acts more like an animal and more like a human than any of them. Plus her true form is badass. Though, you will indeed find a lot of standard animal ears girls around in harem and isekai anime. You should not take harem anime worldbuilding any more seriously than that of FIM. In isekai, half-humans are like our dwarves and elves and should not really be regarded as mythological beasts.

Anime made by H-Bro would be dropped by weebs in 3 episodes or less. Imagine H-Bro being the blonde dude, the ginger chick is a media influencer, the bystanders are normies, the soldiers are Bronies, and those other guys with the loli represent the weebs. Pretty much sums up our group relationships:

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

Caught? Sauce.

If you want critters I'll gladly point you in the direction of Pokemon.

I said "critter world," not critters. Tons of anime has some random (should be alien) cute creature appeal. I was talking about entire worlds populated by other kinds of creatures, which isn't Pokemon. Talking animals that regulate and govern themselves and don't need humans to carry any of the story. Zootopia, Rats of NIMH, Redwall, Watership Down, Starfox. What's the equivalent of this in Japan?

On 3/28/2019 at 5:02 PM, BornAgainBrony said:

The thought hit me when I was looking at those Japanese E.G. figures, what if they could assume either form? 

You mean like in Princess Knight?

Edited by R.D.Dash

Totally Dig Anime Clannad my Favorite that and Pokémon, its Cool Funny and So very Sad... 

Hasbro bought their own studio and have their own plans for their franchise. Doubt they Will Go Anime.

However I would consider my personal Registered Franchise ''The Clyonies'' An Anime Series. Especially If I love How they stylize it using my species.

Got the Results Everything is Good to Go. Now its just waiting for The Canadian Government to Do their part and Finalize the process. Then I will hold Registered Trademark Ownership to Both the Logo and the Word ''The Clyonies.'' within Canada. Making my move next to register trademark in USA too.both logo and word.

https://www.deviantart.com/landoftheclyony/gallery/66013828/Charectes-in-Ny-Novel-Series

The cool Part my novel series is al, teen and Adult  anyway. So it would be cool to see an Anime based from it.

Personally I love all Cartoons Regardless and Yes I'm Totally Checking Out MLP G5. We still watch My Little Pony Tales in this house the Kids still love that classic show,

True I got my own thing going, however i can see enjoy creative content from others. Comics are my Favorite. They are Cool and Creative.

Laurie Ann Garland...

16 hours ago, BornAgainBrony said:

I said "critter world," not critters. Tons of anime has some random (should be alien) cute creature appeal. I was talking about entire worlds populated by other kinds of creatures, which isn't Pokemon. Talking animals that regulate and govern themselves and don't need humans to carry any of the story. Zootopia, Rats of NIMH, Redwall, Watership Down, Starfox. What's the equivalent of this in Japan?

One could claim that's Sonic and Animal Crossing. Those are mainly games, and include humans. And you do realize that Star Fox is made by Nintendo? However, Japan having or not having such a specific anime is irrelevant when H-Bro cannot deliver on the things weebs like. You'd probably need a solo creator that's not flailing around in a corporate blindfold.

Would I like a non-human fantasy IP with loose anime restrictions? Yes please. The question is: Are you advocating for such an IP, or are you just preaching that you have absolute faith in MLP?

5 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

One could claim that's Sonic and Animal Crossing. Those are mainly games, and include humans. And you do realize that Star Fox is made by Nintendo? However, Japan having or not having such a specific anime is irrelevant when H-Bro cannot deliver on the things weebs like. You'd probably need a solo creator that's not flailing around in a corporate blindfold.

Would I like a non-human fantasy IP with loose anime restrictions? Yes please. The question is: Are you advocating for such an IP, or are you just preaching that you have absolute faith in MLP?

Yeah I know Starfox is, but like other games that do this, they've seldom had a shot at being a show. The Starfox comics were pretty enjoyable as well.

Ehh... both, really. Though I'm just saying it, if Miyazaki got MLP, it would be flipping amazing. But I was also trying to analyze what Japan doesn't like about FiM and then started wondering why the "all animal" worlds that can be found on TV/film are Western creations.

1 hour ago, BornAgainBrony said:

Yeah I know Starfox is, but like other games that do this, they've seldom had a shot at being a show. The Starfox comics were pretty enjoyable as well.

Ehh... both, really. Though I'm just saying it, if Miyazaki got MLP, it would be flipping amazing. But I was also trying to analyze what Japan doesn't like about FiM and then started wondering why the "all animal" worlds that can be found on TV/film are Western creations.

If I had to take a guess I'd say that the East really likes its human aesthetics. That's pretty much the gist of it. You see it in their versions of EQG Mane 6. You'd need to have some really cute and cool monsters with some unique, action-packed twist to make Japan give your stuff a second look. I'm pretty much describing some unholy hybrid of Pokemon and LOTR without humanoids.

• 1 year later...