Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Am I the only one that did NOT like the S9 trailer?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

While we already have a trailer thread, I want to bring up a sorta 'hot take' on it. I simply didn't like it. Why? The answer is simple: It was depressing. The trailer is hardcore pushing the fact that this is indeed the last season and FiM will end after it, but for them to go so far with that it honestly just felt sad rather than something akin to a celebration of all FiM has become. Everything from the sad rendition of the theme, to all the characters basically seeming endlessly concerned, even Discord just sounded down in the dumps.

FiM ending is already a sad thing for a lot of people, so I hoped that the trailer would lighten the mood a bit, but instead we got something that further fueled that feeling of doom and gloom. Even going as far to say "Time to say farewell." Really Hasbro? We get it, the show is ending after this, you don't need to remind us constantly. Give us something happy to hold onto in the meantime, not this depressing showcase. I see what they were trying to do, create tons of mystery and intrigue, but that ended up making me not look forward to season 9 much. I do at least find it a bit interesting how this trailer is basically saying all of this directly to the fandom, just a shame what it is saying is so bothersome.

Am I the only one that feels this way about the trailer? It didn't set a good tone to me. Maybe it is just my emotions running wild but while I have felt sad about the show ending soon, this trailer at least quadrupled that feeling, making me straight up depressed about the whole thing. I already wasn't excited about season 9, this trailer makes me dread it at this point.

Edited by Kyoshi
  • Brohoof 1

You are not the only one. I emphatically did not like it either for a lot of the reasons you said. It made me wish I actually didn't care about this show and outright dread seeing at the very least the premiere and probably finale if that's the tone I can expect.

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder whether that trailer was "depressing" in a bad way or "emotional" in a good way. Slow moody cover aside, it was pretty clear from the clips on display that there were still going to be plenty of light moments to spare. The converse to your perspective is a lot of us appreciate that the marketing recognizes how seriously the fans take the show's characters and stories, and if there were ever a time to be straight about it all, it'd be now with the final season. I don't necessarily want everything to be dark and depressing all the time (and I'm sure it won't be), but I do hope that this last season displays an earnest commitment to bringing its characters' arcs all to satisfying ends; and it should occasionally involve some deeply felt emotion, positive or negative. The premiere being framed and titled as "The Beginning of the End" definitely raises my hopes that they have a good plan in mind.

• Brohoof 2