Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's your opinion in algebra?

kinda deleted

I used to hate algebra. I actually slept through half of my algebra 1 classes in middle school. Once I got to calculus, however, I realized algebra wasn't actually all that bad and now I want to go back. Algebra is fairly intuitive, calculus is just pain.

Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus, division, multiplication... It doesn’t matter. I hate math. This has always been the subject I struggled with the most. No matter how much I re-read the instructions or how much tutoring I recieved, I could never grasp/understand the concepts. I failed the class twice so I had to take summer school twice in an attempt to pass. I managed to get by with a low D in both circumstances. The only math class I did somewhat well in was a remedial math class I was put in. The teacher did a fairly good job at explaining things. I can really only execute basic math at this point.

7 minutes ago, Bakugou Is My Man <3 said:

Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus, division, multiplication... It doesn’t matter. I hate math. This has always been the subject I struggled with the most. No matter how much I re-read the instructions or how much tutoring I recieved, I could never grasp/understand the concepts. I failed the class twice so I had to take summer school twice in an attempt to pass. I managed to get by with a low D in both circumstances. The only math class I did somewhat well in was a remedial math class I was put in. The teacher did a fairly good job at explaining things. I can really only execute basic math at this point.

LMAO

I don't want to go to the Moon so I'm not gonna say anything else

I really don't like any math. But at least I'm not terrible at it. I'm just glad I didn't have to move on to calculus in college; I've heard horror stories about college math professors. All I had to take was a course that was basically a review of high school algebra, and then a stats class tailored toward research. Now I can go my last couple of years without taking any math classes whatsoever. :mlp_proud:

It's not that bad. No matter what though, algebra is an essential math class and you have to take it at some point. People think that it really doesn't mean much, but almost all jobs do require algebra and it's a minimum requirement for graduating high school. 

• Brohoof 1

25 minutes ago, Stormfurry said:

Mathematics is a tool and calculators too. :P

That's actually true when you go above algebra. In calculus and statistics, some things simply cannot be calculated by hand and you will learn to depend on your trusty TI-84. Also, calculators help to compute basic equations that you input into it, but problems in more complex math are rarely one-step calculations and frequently require you to interpret the problem and given data. 

• Brohoof 1

I am fine with algebra, it's geometry I don't like. Which is weird because I took calculus based on geometry.

It's funny because I never touched my TI-84 ever since I left the high school. I've been fine using basic calculator, that's all they allowed me to use on math tests. 

Edited by R.D.Dash

Never been too interested in Math to be fair. I guess I would say I'm okay at Algerbra but it's nothing special to me.

To be completely honest... I never struggled with math or algebra much. :pout: I would be hard-pressed to say they were outright enjoyable, but they were never an ordeal which made me hate my very existence. At worst, they were merely tedious.

Algebra is of the devil. I remember when I had my first algebra class in high school and it made me want to cry all of the time. Math is the #1 way to make me feel like an incompetent idiot. I'm so thankful that majoring in music required only one math class (College Algebra) and a big ice storm ended up canceling my final which bumped my grade up to a B, when I might have made a D.

Ah, algebra. My old frenemy. I used to dislike it, but then I discovered advanced statistical equations and probability permutations and I suddenly realized algebra was quite nice and soft. Even with matrices and the like.

The thing with me and maths, however, was that I never had motivation to practice it. If I actaully sat down and did the damn homeworks I would have no problems. But I never could care enough about maths.

Pretty useless. The vast majority of your daily life won't require anything higher than arithmatic. Swap algebra and all other higher classes with economics, statistics, how to fill out a tax form, y'know, all that applied math stuff. 

If your training for a specific career field then do take algebra to calculus.  But I haven't used algebra since my sophmore of year of college. 

26 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Pretty useless. The vast majority of your daily life won't require anything higher than arithmatic. Swap algebra and all other higher classes with economics, statistics, how to fill out a tax form, y'know, all that applied math stuff. 

If your training for a specific career field then do take algebra to calculus.  But I haven't used algebra since my sophmore of year of college. 

That's not really true. Plenty of times you have to use some degree of algebra to make some calculations. Compound interest and "breaking even" are simple algebra concepts that you will definitely have to use when it comes to basic finances. There are also a lot of problems that can technically be solved by arithmetic, but algebra makes things a lot easier and lot faster. And a lot of career fields require algebra, not just STEM. Agriculture, accounting, architecture, and even some liberal arts careers do require at the very least some algebra knowledge. There's a reason why it's literally required to graduate high school...and it's on both the SAT and ACT. 

Though it's true that calculus is not as important as geometry or algebra for some fields. I still find occasional use for limits and integration, especially calculating the area under a curve or arc length. 

• Brohoof 1

i use algebra and geometry constantly, in both my day job and in my hobbies. It's one of the things where if you have that kind of tool, you tend to use it to make your life easier. There are other ways of achieving the same ends as I use them for, but they take longer and feel like it's more effort.

The annoying thing is I moved around a lot as a kid, changing schools every two years or so, so I missed basic geometry as the various schools had different things at different grades, so I had to fast-catch-up on that on my own time rather than in-class. Over forty years ago, and I still remember being annoyed at the different schools not having the same curriculum. I also remember being dropped into conversational French without having the intro French classes the other students had gotten. (Ontario: some schools had French as required, while others had it as optional.)

• Brohoof 1