Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do reviewers I see for TV shows and movies even have lives?

PCutter

From time to time, I've heard about these people: MrEnter, Lily Peet, Nostalgia Critic to name a few. 

I seriously wonder, is reviewing entertainment really supposed to be a legitimate career, other than those professional movie critics?

Don't they have other things to attend to like having real jobs, paying bills, getting groceries etc.?

Because I myself have no time for these things because I have a business to run, and I have no interest in reviewing anything ever. (And I realize this topic may sound idiotic to certain people here)

Reviewing anything, from film to entertainment, is absolutely a career. Mr. Enter stated in a video a few months back that his animation reviewing is just a job and has a life beyond that. A job he likes, sure, but a job, nonetheless.

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Reviewing anything, from film to entertainment, is absolutely a career. Mr. Enter stated in a video a few months back that his animation reviewing is just a job and has a life beyond that. A job he likes, sure, but a job, nonetheless.

To be fair the other two people he mentioned are trash people and don't deserve to have a career based on what they do, considering Lily Peet... Yeah we know that one up and down, I won't beat a dead horse, and Nostalgia Critic... He's become a joke and now tons of crap has come out showing that he has been involved in some shady crap.

Reviewing things... "Can" be a career though. I say "can" in quotes though because everyone thinks that because they wrote an essay that makes them a critic and that's not inherently true.

Personally though, I find reviewing as a career to be... Almost a pointless career in 2019 unless it's for comedy or fun because doing serious reviews has become somewhat of a joke. Most people do not take critics seriously anymore because a lot of the time they grade things on stuff that the general public does not so their opinions hold little value to the average consumer.

3 hours ago, PCutter said:

I seriously wonder, is reviewing entertainment really supposed to be a legitimate career, other than those professional movie critics?

Don't they have other things to attend to like having real jobs, paying bills, getting groceries etc.? 

Because I myself have no time for these things because I have a business to run, and I have no interest in reviewing anything ever. (And I realize this topic may sound idiotic to certain people here)

As I see it, 'legitimate career' can be anything that provides you, pays the bills and gets food on your table. As long as you get money out of it, it can be seen as a work/job/career. There are people who make a living by taking selfies(!?) or making videos of how they unbox things(!!??:muffins:). It's weird, but apparently there are market for entertainment like this... As in many cases, "hate the game, not the player". I personally value "real" old school professions like teacher, factory worker, cleaner etc. more than youtube critics and such, but if someone can turn it into a profitable business, that's cool by me.

In some cases, youtube content creators can be like entrepreneurs or remote workers. They don't necessarily have a traditional nine-to-five jobs, but that doesn't mean that some of them wouldn't dedicate huge amount of time and care into their videos. Not all of them, of course...

It's also worth remembering that artists, writers, musicians, athletics and the rest can equally be seen as similar freeloaders. They don't necessarily produce any physical goods that other people need, but I guess that's one of the definitions for entertainment and art... :mlp_huh:

Edited by Divine plywood
typos
  • Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, PCutter said:

From time to time, I've heard about these people: MrEnter, Lily Peet, Nostalgia Critic to name a few. 

I don't know about MrEnter of Lily Peet, but reviewing is basically a full time job for the Nostalgia Critic that actually does pay his bills.  Heck, he almost built himself something of a small media empire a while back called That Guy With the Glasses / Channel Awesome but he apparently botched the management of Channel Awesome and now Channel Awesome is just the Nostalgia Critic.  So yea, it can be a serious full time job.

• Brohoof 1

The people you mentioned does do it as their careers. 

16 hours ago, PCutter said:

Anything you can make enough money to live of can be a legitimate career. 

• Brohoof 1

If playing video games while acting like a soulless moron is considered a career these days, then literally anything could be a career at this point. Critics of movies isn't a particuloar career that is anything new. The medium of which it is conducted has changed somewhat, but not the concept.

That topic name sure is loaded though. Reviewer and critics do have lives and these are real, legitimate jobs. Becoming a professional critic is a lot harder than people think, especially when you are also entertaining people through YouTube videos. These videos require hours, if not days of editing and voicing. Even if you are just writing for a news website like Kotaku or Rotten Tomatoes, all articles frequently have to go through editors before the final written product is posted online. Some people don't understand how much hard work and effort goes into being a critic, only to be flamed online for being a "corporate shill" or whatnot. 

• Brohoof 6

So many people think they have the right to decide " what is legitimate " or "what people deserve " but could not manage to build the following or market themselves the way the people making money do. Sounds like sour grapes to me frankly Or worse projecting ones owns inadequacies of their own professional life be it being a low motivation worker or just not skilled at your job onto other people. 

In short, if you can find a market and its legal its legitimate work. Everyone has a life outside of work. No one has a right to say who deserves money for something except the people paying for the product or service. Finally most of those complaining can't measure up to the people they complain about so it just seems like bad form at best or envy at worst. 

• Brohoof 3

I suppose what I mean by real job is like something that actually contributes and is productive, like electrician, plumber, architect, stocks analyst, public planner, you get it.

And for art and entertainment, I was thinking more along the lines of those that have been done for centuries like theater. 

2 minutes ago, PCutter said:

I suppose what I mean by real job is like something that actually contributes and is productive, like electrician, plumber, architect, stocks analyst, public planner, you get it.

And for art and entertainment, I was thinking more along the lines of those that have been done for centuries like theater. 

Entertainment is contributing. Bards and the like have saved us from boredom since the first guy figured out he could get berries for singing at the campfire. And the only person that gets to say what is entertainment is the person that is entertained. Saying oh I dont like it so it's not real or does not qualify again just loops back to my sour grapes post. 

• Brohoof 6

And also, are Lily Peet and Lily Orchard supposed to be one in the same? As in simply changing their name?

I never follow this person so I couldn't care less about what they do.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 9:50 AM, Lucky Bolt said:

I mean considering the fact they ARE living people I'm pretty sure they have a life. :-P

Because it always seemed to me that simple food, water, clean air, hygiene are all meaningless to them and that their ideologies are the only god they need to even be literally alive. 

Yes. They have lives. 

1 hour ago, PCutter said:

Because it always seemed to me that simple food, water, clean air, hygiene are all meaningless to them and that their ideologies are the only god they need to even be literally alive. 

What the hell. 

1 minute ago, OdellaLark said:

Yes. They have lives. 

What the hell. 

To add, besides those reviewers, those who are deeply involved in politics who are absolutely ruthless in getting the change what they want, no matter who they hurt in the process.

2 minutes ago, PCutter said:

To add, besides those reviewers, those who are deeply involved in politics who are absolutely ruthless in getting the change what they want, no matter who they hurt in the process.

Boy you sound like you’re an absolute blast to be around :dry:

They’re internet critics chill the hell out. 

There might be some assholes but you sound like you think pretty much every goddamned internet critic doesn’t have a life outside of reviews and acts like how you seem to think they do. 

Chill.

Just. Chill. 

And point me to actual legitimate evidence of this happening. 

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, OdellaLark said:

Boy you sound like you’re an absolute blast to be around :dry:

They’re internet critics chill the hell out. 

There might be some assholes but you sound like you think pretty much every goddamned internet critic doesn’t have a life outside of reviews and acts like how you seem to think they do. 

Chill.

Just. Chill. 

And point me to actual legitimate evidence of this happening. 

I couldn't care less if I'm an absolute blast or not.

No I will not chill out about this. Because one of my current professors is a real life example of this. Absolutely ruthless in humiliating everyone one of us in class in the guise of "enlightening" us.

Just now, PCutter said:

I couldn't care less if I'm an absolute blast or not.

No I will not chill out about this. Because one of my current professors is a real life example of this. Absolutely ruthless in humiliating everyone one of us in class in the guise of "enlightening" us.

Christ. 

Yeah im done trying to talk to you. 

Don't quote me. 

I’d rather not have a further discussion with someone like you. 

By the way couldn’t care less indicates that you do care. 

I’d think a college student would know this but apparently not.

On 3/20/2019 at 6:40 AM, PCutter said:

And also, are Lily Peet and Lily Orchard supposed to be one in the same?

Yes. Lily Orchard married and changed her last name. (She’s since dumped her and cut her off.)

On 4/15/2019 at 1:41 PM, PCutter said:

Because one of my current professors is a real life example of this. Absolutely ruthless in humiliating everyone one of us in class in the guise of "enlightening" us.

An anecdote of a professor who acts like a bully doesn’t reflect on who critics are as a whole. Critics are people, reviewing is often their occupation, and they have lives outside of critiquing.

• Brohoof 2

• 8 months later...