Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was the heartbroken Marble Pie in "Best Gift Ever" in poor taste?

Lyra's Pants

Marble Pie learned the hard way that love can really hurt sometimes. While her reaction to Big Mac and Sugar Belle was a direct callback to "Heartbreakers," some felt the scene was too cruel to the poor mare, given its presentation. Was that scene appropriate, or was it too spiteful/mean-spirited?

Edited by Lyra's Pants
  • Brohoof 1

Douglas the Scottish Twin: Ye ken who appruived that scene? A wee bastard prick, that's who!

TwinTrouble49.thumb.png.e628aa6b06cb562fb34b8f9056a5678c.png

Angry Scottish roleplaying aside, I'd love it if they gave Marble her own special somepony in Season 9, so she can move on from her heartbreak and find happiness with one who reciprocates her feelings. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

No, it's not "mean-spirited." Some crushes go like that irl. It was meant to be a one-second gag anyway.

• Brohoof 5

It was poor taste because they showed nothing on 'Hearthbreakers', nothing more than two ponies too timid to talk to each other and that's it.

It's poor taste to imply that after 3 seasons, well... Marble had feelings for Big Mac all along. Really? It's not even mean spirited, it was just lazy pandering.

5 hours ago, FlareGun45 said:

Y'mean as poor of a taste as Twilight using her own son as monster bait? Maybe not as bad, but still, makes ya feel bad for Marble and ya'd wish for her to have a happy ending

Whoa there, pony. Spike was completely enveloped by Twilight's force field spell. He was never in any danger.

3 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Whoa there, pony. Spike was completely enveloped by Twilight's force field spell. He was never in any danger.

It was still against his will. Mhm, let's see him do the same to her then! >:) 

21 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

How? Spike can only magically act as a long range telecommunications unit. He can't produce a force field.

B)

2 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

How? Spike can only magically act as a long range telecommunications unit. He can't produce a force field.

B)

Ooooh I'm sure there's a way. Once he finally snaps, anything can happen! ;) 

I don't really care anymore, why I do try?

I don't even like Marble or the ship MarbleMac, and I thought that was a really shitty thing to include

• Brohoof 1

31 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

Ooooh I'm sure there's a way. Once he finally snaps, anything can happen! ;) 

I don't really care anymore, why I do try?

Sony, but I feel I must defend my beloved Twilight! She can do no wrong.

:wub:

Spoiler

Unless you count Lesson Zero, and the movie! My girl blundered pretty badly in both.

I saw it as more of a callback/reference than anything else, but I can see why one would argue that it is in poor spirit.

1 hour ago, FlareGun45 said:

I don't like your tone. Twilight had the situation under Control. She actually wouldn't let the monster hurt Spike, just use him as a distraction in the heat of the moment. She was using what was available to distract the monster. Plus, implying Spike would do the same "using her as bait against her will" would be extremely OOC for him.

As for Marble, I personally never shipped her and Big Mac so the whole idea of Marble being utterly heart-broken seeing him and Sugar Belle together doesn't bother me. Those complaining about the heartbroken Marble to an extreme can come off like a case of "I won't ever accept this" by those who want Marble x Mac together and despise SugarMac. Even though that's not what Big Mac wants. He's happy with Sugar, and if anything, if Marble really loves Mac, she should be more like a "I want my beloved to be happy" than a "If I can't have him, nobody can" kind of person.

Edited by Will Guide
My thoughts on the Marble Scene

No, they were just acknowledging the fact that Big Mac ended up with another mare despite prior 'implications'. Not acknowledging the fact at all would have actually been more cruel to the fans that actually keep up with details like that. It's not in poor taste, facts are just facts, life is just cruel. :maud:

• Brohoof 1

21 hours ago, FlareGun45 said:

Y'mean as poor of a taste as Twilight using her own son as monster bait? Maybe not as bad, but still, makes ya feel bad for Marble and ya'd wish for her to have a happy ending

I am not sure what that had to do with my topic

On 3/13/2019 at 5:17 PM, lyrabetes3939 said:

Douglas the Scottish Twin: Ye ken who appruived that scene? A wee bastard prick, that's who!

TwinTrouble49.thumb.png.e628aa6b06cb562fb34b8f9056a5678c.png

Angry Scottish roleplaying aside, I'd love it if they gave Marble her own special somepony in Season 9, so she can move on from her heartbreak and find happiness with one who reciprocates her feelings. :fluttershy:

Lol

(edited)
On 3/13/2019 at 11:48 PM, Cash In said:

I saw it as more of a callback/reference than anything else, but I can see why one would argue that it is in poor spirit.

It does not make sense why they would include that scene in a heartwarming Christmas special without following it up. Of course, it was gonna leave a bad taste in certain fans' mouth, which was why I posted this topic.

Edited by Lyra's Pants

On 3/13/2019 at 8:27 PM, ExplosionMare said:

I still thought it was weird she was still attracted to him even if those two really were cousins.

Most cultures don’t consider incest cousin couples of over third cousins

On 3/14/2019 at 1:35 AM, DonMaguz said:

It was poor taste because they showed nothing on 'Hearthbreakers', nothing more than two ponies too timid to talk to each other and that's it.

It's poor taste to imply that after 3 seasons, well... Marble had feelings for Big Mac all along. Really? It's not even mean spirited, it was just lazy pandering.

Literally everyone who didn't have anti-shipping googles was aware that this was a sign that Marble was attracted to Big Mac. What really changed is that Big Mac was only attracted to her and got over it after that episode. Marble didn't met any other stallions between that time as she lives shelltered life.

5 hours ago, Conred said:

Literally everyone who didn't have anti-shipping googles was aware that this was a sign that Marble was attracted to Big Mac. What really changed is that Big Mac was only attracted to her and got over it after that episode. Marble didn't met any other stallions between that time as she lives shelltered life.

As I said, lazy pandering.

How is it in bad taste to show reality. You cant always be with who you want to be with. Sometimes that will hurt. They showed that reality. Should there never be any fights or friendship issues because some fans might get upset by that too? 

• Brohoof 1