Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Season 9 pandering and minimalism

ManaMinori

I spotted this tweet in my feed and honestly, I couldn't agree more. I know many of the Brony community might disagree with this, but should the pandering be toned way down for season 9, or continue as it has been....?

• Brohoof 8

Pandering? For fucks sake, Nightmare Muffin. It's the last season of the show. I think they should be pandering as much as they want to. They said they will make it special and I damn well think they should still keep doing that.

6 minutes ago, TwilySparky said:

Pandering? For fucks sake, Nightmare Muffin. It's the last season of the show. I think they should be pandering as much as they want to. They said they will make it special and I damn well think they should still keep doing that.

You don't think it can be made special without catering to the adult fanbase of Bronies? (like leaving out fan favorite ponies and their role of "importance", ect.)

• Brohoof 5

1 hour ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

You don't think it can be made special without catering to the adult fanbase of Bronies? (like leaving out fan favorite ponies and their role of "importance", ect.)

My question is why does it matter? I don't get why people have a problem with them pandering to the fanbase.

• Brohoof 1

It doesn't matter to me if season 9 caters to the Brony fandom a little, as long as it doesn't negatively affect the quality of the content and as long as there isn't too much.

Edited by EpicEnergy
  • Brohoof 6

Irrespective of me thinking that they do own a lot to the fans, since I doubt it would've reached what it did by itself, I don't like pandering in general. Everything that happens in a story should be natural to it and not to reference it's audience.

In reality, I just wish for a heartfelt and meaningful goodbye to our beloved characters.

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, TwilySparky said:

My question is why does it matter? I don't get why people have a problem with them pandering to the fanbase.

it's not a question of pandering in general. If you look at the op, the issue is raised of it being excessive.

• Brohoof 2

What would be excessive pandering?

- The Simpsons' level references to pop culture?

- Fan-favorite tertiary ponies grabbing the spotlight?

- Tons of OC's getting acknowledged?

- Fan ships becoming canon? (beware the great war)

- Sunset Shimmer coming to FiM?

- Full on war in Equestria?

I think that, as long as they keep the show entertaining and separate the funny-wacky episodes from the serious ones... Then season 9 would be a good one.

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

it's not a question of pandering in general. If you look at the op, the issue is raised of it being excessive.

I still highly doubt it would even be excessive in getting in the way. Sure, the show has had some questionable choices like the Student Six, but I think this season is going to be spectacular.

1 hour ago, EpicEnergy said:

It doesn't matter to me if season 9 caters to the Brony fandom a little, as long as it doesn't negatively affect the quality of the content and as long as there isn't too much.

I couldn’t agree more.

Pandering isn’t inherently a negative, in fact it could even be a positive attribute to the final season if they do it in (and here’s the key word here) MODERATION. If they oversaturate S9 with pandering to what the fanbase desires and prioritise it over coherent story telling, THEN it’s a bad thing.

• Brohoof 4

6 hours ago, TwilySparky said:

Because too much pandering can ruin an episode for some people? It's not really that hard of a concept to grasp. 

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

I wouldn’t mind a panderism or two, unless it’s just for the sake of it. Pretty much the only panderism left for me, are my bats :bea:

Or Snake ponies making an appearance. I know @Mesme Rize would like a little acknowledgement for that kind of mythical creature.

2 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Because too much pandering can ruin an episode for some people? It's not really that hard of a concept to grasp. 

Talk about passive-aggresive. I've stated my opinion and am leaving it there. Pandering to an audience isn't that bad.

1 hour ago, Will Guide said:

Or Snake ponies making an appearance. I know @Mesme Rize would like a little acknowledgement for that kind of mythical creature.

Doubly with the danger noodles, as bats are implied to be canon at least :fluttershy:

If "pandering" means showcasing fan favorite characters like Celestia and Luna whose pasts have been neglected for 8 seasons, and bringing back certain fan favorite characters who have only showed up once, then I really wouldn't mind it at all.

We've gotten more episodes like that in the past few seasons and I've really quite enjoyed it. I liked learning more about Celestia's past in Horse Play. I liked seeing Chrysalis, Tirek, Lightning Dust, etc. again. I liked seeing Trixie make more frequent appearances. I liked seeing Starswirl become a recurring character, even though he isn't quite the kind of pony I originally envisioned him to be.

• Brohoof 2

Fans will want conclusions to certain characters' development and any unanswered to be answered. Each of the Mane and Spike should get their own last focused episode.

Yea Celestia forbid they give service to the desires of the fanbase that love the show and made it the success it is....

The fact is that I doubt the writers are going to do anything to make it a poor show but there is nothing wrong with giving a bit back to the fans that have loved and supported their work for 9 years. 

On 3/14/2019 at 5:38 PM, Black Sabbath said:

Nor is the fact that it could be equally loved by others. So that is not really an argument for doing or not doing it. All it is, is an explanation as to why some unknown percentage might not like a subjective amount of pandering that they deem too "much". 

Pandering itself isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I mean the show also panders to adults when they censor and control content like Derpy’s portrayal :muffins: and they definitely pander to shareholders for the most profitable and audience appealing ideas.

The problem is when pandering becomes excessive to the point that it lowers quality or derails from the shows ideas and goals by conflicting or overshadow ling them altogether. You could say for example, that many Marvel movies pander to their audiences A LOT. But their quality isn’t poorer for it since they understand how to properly execute and implement content that appeals to fans.

• 2 weeks later...

Why are people getting so uptight about a season that hasn't even broadcast yet? Why not watch it, and then complain if you didn't like it. I think it's foolish to complain about your own speculations on what MIGHT MAYBE happen.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Why are people getting so uptight about a season that hasn't even broadcast yet? Why not watch it, and then complain if you didn't like it. I think it's foolish to complain about your own speculations on what MIGHT MAYBE happen.

People want to talk about it, they're excited/anxious and they're lacking information about the things they like. I think it happened every season. It probably is foolish though, but it's what fandoms do.