Sign in to follow this  
DonMaguz

Rating the set-up episodes

Amongst the two-part premieres and finales, we usually rate the episodes as a whole. After reading an entry from @Rarity the Supreme, I got curious about...

How would you guys/gals rate the set-up episodes? This is: the part one of each premiere or finale that are joined episodes.

I'll think about the topic and will be back to write down mine.

Cheers!

• Brohoof 1

Badges

OMSquee! I got a shout-out!:mlp_grin:

I actually forgot to high entry that was, so I’ll rank them now and see how it compares to my other list.

1) Twilight’s Kingdom: Not a vexing decision at all, my favourite of the two-parters any day of the week. Great story, great villain, Discord was finally reformed fully  in a way that wasn’t a total rush-job like before, great ending, and THAT FIGHT SCENE. Just a tremendous episode across the board.

2) To Where and Back Again: Unique and interesting set-up, featuring many under-utilised characters interacting for the first time, very well executed overall.

3) Princess Twilight Sparkle: Not the most memorable episode, but it was action-packed, changed a lot of situations delicately and respectfully and handled Twilight as an Alicorn far better than the Season 3 finale did.

4) The Cutie Mark: Once again, not the most memorable episode, but the more grounded approach was alternative and fun, and it was nice for the Mane 6 to all get in on the action for once. The villain was on the weak side though.

5) School Raze: Another interesting use of characters outside of the main six, an intriguing and very different villain who was well-foreshadowed throughout the season, but the execution felt a tad discombobulated at times, and though seeing Tirek again was great, and his alliance with Cozy Glow could have very well set up future events in a huge way, in the moment, it feels kind of tacked on and superfluous. Also a tad on the derivative side.

6) The Return of Harmony: Great villain, great humour, great first half, great concept in general, but the ending felt anti-climatic and somewhat rushed.

7) The Crystal Empire: Great idea, an intriguing and attractive new environment, some great emotional moments, but a lot of it felt uneventful and even a tad on the boring side, and while I know that some people like to proclaim otherwise, the villain was incredibly lacklustre in this one.

8) A Canterlot Wedding: Huge stakes, one of the best songs in the entire series by a mile and an immensely satisfying conclusion. Too bad the entire first half was out of left field, predictable and just kind of awkward.

9) The Crystalling: Not bad, but did it really need to be two parts? I’ll save you the mental work of solving that sum, no it really did not.

10) Freindship is Magic: First half was simple, yet effective and ultimately entertaining. The second half was severely rushed, poorly paced and extremely repetitive to the point of being dull. Thank Celestia that this one finished strong.

11) Shadow Play: Had great elements, but the first half was just bad and very sloppily executed, and while the second half was significantly better, it still felt somewhat redundant, and wasn’t enough to save and the episode as a whole.

12) The Cutie Re-Mark: WAY too fanfictiony, had some astounding visuals and “Oh, it’s nice to see this again” and “That would’ve been really cool” moments, but execution was consistently botched, Starlight’s backstory and reformation was extremely rushed and unconvincing, and the whole thing was just sort of a big mess.

Edited by Rarity the Supreme
  • Brohoof 1

Badges

1. Twilight's Kingdom: Perfect emotional set-up in Part 1, followed by an exciting and intense payoff in Part 2.

2. A Canterlot Wedding: Puts the audience in unease, has a heartbreaking cliffhanger. Part 2 follows with a shocking twist and the show's first outright action sequence.

3. Shadow Play: Great set-up and very effective payoff.

4. The Return of Harmony: Extremely dramatic in Part 1. Part 2 does an excellent job of keeping the audience in suspense and letting them simmer in the hopelessness of the situation. While the resolution and inevitable victory is  extremely satisfying, it was kind of rushed. I feel like breezing over Twilight breaking Discord's spell kind of hurt it.

5. The Cutie Re-Mark: Extremely ambitious. Great spectacle, powerful conclusion.

Badges