Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Tangled is a better movie than Frozen

Quinch

I can already hear @Sparklefan1234 racing to the scene. :twi:

Me personally, I prefer Tangled for the characters, although I wanted more after watching it. Frozen had a nicer environment and some other cool elements.

They're almost tired for me, but I do prefer Tangled as an overall movie. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 3

54 minutes ago, Quinch said:

If you think you can change my mind I'd love to discuss it!

In my opinion, Tangled is better from a story perspective while Frozen has the better soundtrack.

• Brohoof 2

36 minutes ago, Twilight Luna said:

Oh, Tangled is a lot better than Frozen but it did turned a lot of Disney Princess tropes on their head. Plus Tangled didn’t have a song that made parents drive screwdrivers into their ears.

https://debravega.wordpress.com/2014/01/12/frozen-5-ways-disney-upends-its-own-fairy-tale-tropes/

Lets not be rude saying parents drive screwdrivers into their ears.

Personally for me, Both movies are awesome and each are perfect for representing a season of the year.

Frozen is Winter 

Tangled is Spring

Plus Moana is Summer

And arguably, Brave is Late Summer close to Fall. (if not Frozen 2)

Judging by the trailers,

Spoiler

Frozen 2 does look to take place in the Autumn.

Edited by St. Yoshi
Mention Frozen 2

19 minutes ago, Flutterstep said:

and some other cool elements

Spoiler

thumb.gif

I've seen Frozen... hmm, about a month ago, and Tangled the other day. Frozen, on one hand, isn't bad, not by a long shot, but it was still kinda forgettable. @Twilight Lunabrings up a good point how it worked around some of the usual Disney tropes, but the story suffered despite, or maybe because of that. We've got double the princesses, double the villains, a ton of songs... but none of those really stand out. The Weaseltown dude is just kinda phoned in, Bait and Switch could have been interesting if we got more time with him - there's too many characters being juggled so the soup is too thin to care about any of them. Likewise with the songs - I think there's at least a half-dozen of them in the movie, but I can only remember the song and... something about a fixer-upper?

Tangled, on the other hand, is a lot more tightly written. We've got our trio of main characters - Rapunzel, Flynn and the witch, with a bunch of fun supporting characters that don't overstay their welcome. Not as many songs, but they stick out a lot more, though presentation also helps a lot. Not to mention Mother Knows Best pretty much seals her as a villain I just loved to hate. Plus the comedy is on point, especially the physical aspects.

• Brohoof 1

54 minutes ago, St. Yoshi said:

Lets not be rude saying parents drive screwdrivers into their ears.

Personally for me, Both movies are awesome and each are perfect for representing a season of the year.

Frozen is Winter 

Tangled is Spring

Plus Moana is Summer

And arguably, Brave is Late Summer close to Fall. (if not Frozen 2)

Judging by the trailers,

I wasn’t trying to be rude. Parents were tired of hearing their kids playing “Let It Go” 30 times a day. 

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Twilight Luna said:

I wasn’t trying to be rude. Parents were tired of hearing their kids playing “Let It Go” 30 times a day. 

Well, kids will be kids.

1 hour ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

In my opinion, Tangled is better from a story perspective while Frozen has the better soundtrack.

My thoughts exactly!

Basically... Tangled is the better movie though.

1 hour ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I agree. I thought "For the First Time in Forever" was great.

• Brohoof 1

I disagree, haha. Frozen might the same story as Tangled, I won't deny that, but I feel like Frozen polished on the story flaws in Tangled and added more interesting story elements to it. The two main characters being sisters and focusing on their relationship is far more interesting than just another story where the main character falls in love with a guy. Plus the songs in Frozen are far more superior in every way

i am so sorry @Sparklefan1234, pls no bully

• Brohoof 2

I don't remember much in Trangled since I only watched it once, Frozen I watched it 3x. Frozen have a better twist compared to Trangled. Trangled have a better plot buildup.

31 minutes ago, TBD said:

I don't remember much in Trangled since I only watched it once, Frozen I watched it 3x. Frozen have a better twist compared to Trangled. Trangled have a better plot buildup.

They both have their pros and cons and it's a matter of which you personally like best.

Doug Walker aka The Nostalgia Critic once did an editorial on this debate although it's clear he prefers Frozen more.

As a Disney fan, I enjoy most of all the Disney stuff (even some of the live-action remakes and the imfamous Last Jedi and Star Wars prequels) with the belief that some of simply a little better than others. I will say though that it bothers me to see fans of one movie bash on fans of the other movie simply for sharing their personal opinion. Not my kind of people.

• Brohoof 2

Tangled is a far better movie than Frozen. Tangled is a fun movie about engaging characters with real concerns and feelings, and free of any tiresome statements that detract from the story. Frozen, while also an enjoyable movie with interesting characters, loses ground by forcing plot elements that don’t fit together well. Both movies have great music, but I’ll give Tangled the win again. “I See The Light” is a stunning song that never fails to bring on the emotions. I love “Let It Go” and I won’t simply discount it because it got overexposed; that wouldn’t be an objective way to judge a song, movie or anything else. All the songs in both movies are really good and I like them quite a lot. 

I often compare Tangled and Frozen the same way I compare Beauty and the Beast to Lion King. Beauty and the Beast is a better movie and yet Lion King did better at the box office. Everyone poured out to see Frozen and didn’t seem to care about Tangled as much. It doesn’t seem right but that’s the way it goes.  

• Brohoof 4

Well I liked Frozen and Tangled, but I think I liked Frozen more. I don't think I can change your mind it might be just pointless to do that.

• Brohoof 1

Not sure it matters. Both are good movies, well constructed with strong female leads; which one is "better" is therefore down to personal preferences, not something that can be demonstrated as an abstract.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

They are both excellent films, and both prove that Disney can still bring the magic when they stick to their core strengths.  Some people will always say that Frozen is overrated but the fact that is became a cultural phenomenon says otherwise, after all, what determines rating if not the success of the film?  I'm not trying to take anything away from Tangled here, it's still up there on my list of favourite Disney films but in terms of cultural impact Frozen just managed to tap into something that put it on a whole different level.

I only need to look at my shelves to make my decision.  I have a gorgeous Showcase figure of Rapunzel, as well as a couple of Pops.  But I have a lot more Annas.  And an awful lot more Elsas.

Of course none of this will change which one you like more, but with regards to which is better, with both being of roughly equal quality I would say that the measure of success... is success.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 1

Why does this have to be a competition of which movie is better? For crying out loud they're both Disney movies involving characters going through life-changing experiences and that's good enough for me. Have had their strength and weaknesses and I enjoy them both for what they are

• Brohoof 1