Sign in to follow this  
heavens-champion

Fundamentalism

Have you ever wondered what makes someone a fundamentalist? Why people become fundamentalists? What is it about religious fundamentalism that fundamentalists find so attractive? Is it the order it brings to their lives?

Edited by heavens-champion

Badges

Every set rules is meant to offer a parameter or context to that which is without comprehension, to reason. But the result never reflects the more chaotic, or complex nature of reality. So, often, philosophies and religious beliefs conflict with each other, because reality itself is being compartmentalized within these incomplete forms of perception. It is a display of glorified ignorance. There's more honesty in watching a simple animal adhere to immediate nature, than to listen to rational ones come up with interpretations for that which escapes their understanding. Though such ignorance signifies the fertile cradle of what is known as culture.

The fundamental answer is because ignorance is the intrinsic nature of life.

They're indoctrinated at birth or desperate to find something "better", whether that be a way of life or a group with which to be a part of. Many people look for meaning in things and don't really care about the answer. They often get picked up by whatever comes along first.

1 hour ago, They call me Loyalty said:

Every set rules is meant to offer a parameter or context to that which is without comprehension, to reason. But the result never reflects the more chaotic, or complex nature of reality. So, often, philosophies and religious beliefs conflict with each other, because reality itself is being compartmentalized within these incomplete forms of perception. It is a display of glorified ignorance. There's more honesty in watching a simple animal adhere to immediate nature, than to listen to rational ones come up with interpretations for that which escapes their understanding. Though such ignorance signifies the fertile cradle of what is known as culture.

The fundamental answer is because ignorance is the intrinsic nature of life.

I'm not sure I can agree with ignorance being intrinsic. There are some for whom that is the case, but I would posit that, for most, it is not. If your assertion was true, humanity would still be in the darkest of ages. Curiosity is the nature of sapient life, not ignorance.

Fundamentalism is zealotry on overdrive. There's no rhyme or reason for it, nor any good justification.

58 minutes ago, The Historian said:

I'm not sure I can agree with ignorance being intrinsic. There are some for whom that is the case, but I would posit that, for most, it is not. If your assertion was true, humanity would still be in the darkest of ages. Curiosity is the nature of sapient life, not ignorance.

Fundamentalism is zealotry on overdrive. There's no rhyme or reason for it, nor any good justification.

Without the unknown there wouldn't be need to know. In this search is that life finds the inherent conflict that brings about the best qualities about ourselves. Zealously, bigotry, elitism, etc. Within this polarization the counteracting forces of nature bring about a perfect cycle of creation and destruction, for one couldn't exist without the other.

In sickness resides the purpose of health, in war the foundation of peace, in death the meaning of life. When I say ignorance, I don't speak of a flaw, but an essential quality. Perfect universe.

1 hour ago, The Historian said:

I'm not sure I can agree with ignorance being intrinsic.

Curiously though, especially from an atheist perspective... I wish I could find the site now that talked about it, but I remember some studies done that proved humans naturally look for a sentient reason behind everything, such as, "Is that storm here because I smacked that other cave man in the head?" Maybe that's our curiosity manifesting at its most primal level, and if so, well, we never would have been able to create a civilization without it.

I'm not saying anything for or against the existence of a higher power here. Really I don't think it even matters with how fundamentalism works. Because let's be honest, the majority of fundamentalists aren't paying attention to their holy texts in the first place.

Badges

I used to hung out with bible study just to see what it's like since hell, we believe in the same God right? I'm not bad mouthing any bible study people here, but the ones I know are being too clingy and close minded.   Sure I like them as person and try to be friend with them but all they care about is "when is the next time I'm free to read bible with them" So with that, I left.  Sure what they claim is all based on History, I'm a bit of historical nerd but when they ties some passages from the bible with the historical events that's when I cannot find the connection. To me it's either a coincidences or just it's their opinion to think that its connected. I try to counter their perspectives but all they do is based their opinions in a book which is written by men.   

However Ancient Scriptures should not be viewed badly since it's still a historical piece and may answer to questions we might have. Not all it's facts but fundamentalism choose to think so (example as I just explained above), which...pretty much lead to arrogant. That's why I preferred theorist unless proven.  

Badges

49 minutes ago, BornAgainBrony said:

I remember some studies done that proved humans naturally look for a sentient reason behind everything, such as, "Is that storm here because I smacked that other cave man in the head?" Maybe that's our curiosity manifesting at its most primal level, and if so, well, we never would have been able to create a civilization without it.

Having OCD makes me often attribute effects to improbable causes, even vaguely supernatural/intelligent ones (contradictory, since my logical brain doesn't default to explaining things through supernatural means) although I'm not representative of the normal person, since I have a disorder. But I think that people naturally want to find "meaning" in things and find it very difficult to accept good luck or coincidence as simple dumb luck or coincidence... we struggle to accept or believe that. 

As far as fundamentalism goes, people who practice it often are the type of people who love strict order and rules in their lives, and aren't apt to change or alter that rigid structure they find necessary. They may even be offended by the lack of obedience to that structure in others. Basically, they value obedience, order, rules... especially rules that come from a single source they deem absolute, that is not subject to change or interpretation.