Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"WHO'S ONLINE" question

Sparklefan1234

Why is the "WHO'S ONLINE" section of the forum so wonky?

It used to show the most recent signed-in users on the top & would go down to show the users who had signed-out.

Now, users times spent on the forum are all over the place making it confusing for me to tell when my friends are active. 

Thank You for taking the time to answer my question. 

• Brohoof 2

It indeed appears to be highly inaccurate. For example I see something like this now:
just now, 1 minute ago, 32 minutes ago (?), 3 minutes ago, 3 hours ago (?), 4 minutes ago, (...)

Though to be honest, it never really worked right - the order was always somewhat messed up. :P 

Normally, I believe members should be instantly removed from the list when manually logging out OR when being inactive (not loading any pages) for about 30 minutes, while marking them as offline after 15 minutes if I recall correctly.

From what I can tell, logging out from another forums built in IPB indeed instantly removes me from the online list. Here however, sometimes I'm still being shown as online for few minutes after doing so. Maybe the extra delays and decreased accuracy is because of the fact, that the accounts communicate with poniverse.net? (that's something I dug using the Shovel of Random Guesses, so don't quote me on that :love:)
To be honest I have no idea, but the way the "who's online" block works is indeed kind of confusing, it always was.

• Brohoof 3

If I had to guess, it's probably @Jeric behind his tricks again

Seriously though, I noticed this but I have no clue why it is like that.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Bas said:

@Sparklefan1234 Not exactly that you are asking for it, but you can Filter by -> Logged in.

You could also just bookmark this page:

https://mlpforums.com/online/?filter=filter_loggedin

This way, you at least filter out all guests, which are 90% of the ppl listed on there usually!

That's a nice thing to think of, but the problem is, that this is highly inaccurate as well.

For example:

Spoiler

To7Xent.png

Filtered by "Logged In" yet it still displays users that are offline. Up to 30 minutes would be fine, but after that point the users should not be displayed.

What's more, it appears to be off-sync; For example:

Spoiler

9wADwgD.png

L6Dj0fQ.png

On the online list it says "33 minutes ago", but on the hovercard it says "Thursday at 07:54 AM". That is some sorcery right there. :mlp_icwudt:

Aaaaaand most importantly, same as "WHO'S ONLINE" block, users displayed there should be sorted by their last activity in this particular order:

08hGD9Q.png

...but you see how it is displayed instead. :mlp_icwudt: Not sure if IPB is the one to blame, as on different forums both, the block and that online list work well.

There seems to be something wrong within MLPF. EqE4vfd.png

5 hours ago, Madam Rarity said:

While we're on topic about this issue, I noticed Who Was Online section is missing (you know the "Users has been online in past 24 hours"). I was wondering where is that...

Hmm.. was there something like this? I don't recall such a block. :ooh:

Here's how it looked in these particular days:

11 MAR 2019:

Spoiler

svZdT6v.png

06 MAR 2019:

Spoiler

b6V0TNU.png

14 FEB 2019:

Spoiler

5iTedgW.png

07 JAN 2019:

Spoiler

k1i8Hr0.png

21 AUG 2018:

Spoiler

5lPA32v.png

Nothing has changed.. Did you mean something else? Where it was and how did that look like? :darling:

• Brohoof 1

41 minutes ago, Rikifive said:

That's a nice thing to think of, but the problem is, that this is highly inaccurate as well.

For example:

Hide contents

To7Xent.png

Filtered by "Logged In" yet it still displays users that are offline. Up to 30 minutes would be fine, but after that point the users should not be displayed.

What's more, it appears to be off-sync; For example:

Hide contents

9wADwgD.png

L6Dj0fQ.png

On the online list it says "33 minutes ago", but on the hovercard it says "Thursday at 07:54 AM". That is some sorcery right there. :mlp_icwudt:

Aaaaaand most importantly, same as "WHO'S ONLINE" block, users displayed there should be sorted by their last activity in this particular order:

08hGD9Q.png

...but you see how it is displayed instead. :mlp_icwudt: Not sure if IPB is the one to blame, as on different forums both, the block and that online list work well.

There seems to be something wrong within MLPF. EqE4vfd.png

Hmm.. was there something like this? I don't recall such a block. :ooh:

Here's how it looked in these particular days:

11 MAR 2019:

Hide contents

svZdT6v.png

06 MAR 2019:

Hide contents

b6V0TNU.png

14 FEB 2019:

Hide contents

5iTedgW.png

07 JAN 2019:

Reveal hidden contents

k1i8Hr0.png

21 AUG 2018:

Reveal hidden contents

5lPA32v.png

Nothing has changed.. Did you mean something else? Where it was and how did that look like? :darling:

no, I meant the Users has logged in past 24 hours block has list of every users has online today.

On 3/21/2019 at 8:23 PM, Sparklefan1234 said:

Why is the "WHO'S ONLINE" section of the forum so wonky?

It used to show the most recent signed-in users on the top & would go down to show the users who had signed-out.

Now, users times spent on the forum are all over the place making it confusing for me to tell when my friends are active. 

Thank You for taking the time to answer my question. 

The Who's Online is a hardcoded block that can't be customized. It is supposed to show you on the list first and there is some randomness thrown in. It will also display users who have been recently only but are not. I have since removed this block and added a members block that will show all non staff members based on last activity and in alpha ascending order. I have also done this with staff in a separate block. As always anyone who is anonymous usually stops their last activity clock which means that they shouldn't show up on that list. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Madam Rarity said:

no, I meant the Users has logged in past 24 hours block has list of every users has online today.

This doesn't appear to be a stock block, though it may have existed as suck prior to one of the updates to the software package. The member list block does not have a date range parameter.