Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Why do so many people write love songs?

ExplosionMare

23 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

I get that everyone needs some type of love in their lives and a lot of people like to express this, but why are there so many love songs? Why do so many people write love songs over some other topic?

1. Because it's easier, being that love is perhaps the strongest and most universal emotion 

2. Because it's a standard, being that a large bulk of popular music has been successful by using love as a theme

Because so many people have written love songs and we hear so many, we know there's already a successful formula for writing them and reusing the tropes of doing so. Most people experience some form of love and it can be written about in numerous ways, whether it's about loving someone or them not loving you or a breakup... this gives you options for the song's content and on top of that gives it mass appeal, which is what popular music is designed to have. 

• Brohoof 3

There are many genuine love songs, depression songs, hate songs, food songs, drug songs, etc. But the ones sell the most are the love songs. And when people don't have something to genuinely say, it's the No.1 target. It's easy to come up with. So the conclusion is;

1. They sell good
  2. People have to write songs about something even when they are uninspired
Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 1

As Olly clarified; it is a subject which almost anyone can relate to, be it high school students harboring affection towards other students, or elderly couples who have shared a lifetime together. With occasional exceptions, we are all bound to harbor affection towards someone in our lifetimes, so love songs tend to connect with the majority of society. Love songs can certainly be tacky and forced, but there is a reason many of the most popular songs of all time are love songs.

Because they feel like it. Honestly though, modern pop love songs these days are poorly written with a bad beats. It's seems like most artists just write it for the hell of it instead of feeling it.  

• Brohoof 1

Because it's easy. You can argue relatable, but that seems like it's pushing it a little. Love is the easiest way to put out a song with the least amount of effort. The subject has been overdone and I find incredibly boring so I look elsewhere. But that's me.

8 hours ago, TBD said:

Because they feel like it. Honestly though, modern pop love songs these days are poorly written with a bad beats. It's seems like most artists just write it for the hell of it instead of feeling it.  

Agreed. So many of them are just churned out, unemotional and un-relatable. Like so many songs on any subject, the good ones are few and far between. That's why you can always tell a classic right away. A lot of music artists can be a bit oblivious when it comes to deeper emotions because many of them live a very fast life with little room for reflection. Love takes time and a depth of feeling and thought. Writing a love song that reflects that isn't always very easy to write on cue.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Agreed. So many of them are just churned out, unemotional and un-relatable. Like so many songs on any subject, the good ones are few and far between. That's why you can always tell a classic right away. A lot of music artists can be a bit oblivious when it comes to deeper emotions because many of them live a very fast life with little room for reflection. Love takes time and a depth of feeling and thought. Writing a love song that reflects that isn't always very easy to write on cue.

You make a very good point on that. Some emotions take more time to fully understand.

• Brohoof 1

This is just my theory, but I think humans are not designed to live alone and cut off from either a community or a companion who balances us and brings out our better nature.  That striving for balance and the heartbreak it can cause is why I think love is such a huge topic in cinema, music, and even litterateur.

Edited by Inspector Clouseau
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I guess because it's just easier, love is such a wide varying topic and besides, love songs are always pretty sounding...depending. 

• Brohoof 1

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/25/2019 at 4:56 AM, cuteycindyhoney said:

Why? I will let an expert explain it.....

Sorry, This thread just screamed for this song!

So 1970s! Looks at title. Yea, 1976. I have never heard this one before.

So I used to hate love songs when I was little. I found them stupid. Now however, I love them, because they are stupid!

On 3/24/2019 at 4:56 PM, cuteycindyhoney said:

Why? I will let an expert explain it.....

Sorry, This thread just screamed for this song!

Paul McCartney! One of my idols. Yeah, there are a lot of love songs out there. A lot are pretty phenomenal. I do kind of wish there were more friendship songs though. :squee:

• Brohoof 1