Style testing... which is better?

Pix3M

29 users have voted

1. 1. Which style looks better for you?

• Left style; one with intermediate shades
    • Right style; one with only two shades

(edited)

post-4376-0-59899700-1338323451.gif

TheAshBad said in his critique for this interpretation of an adult Sweetie Belle that it may look better if I added intermediate shades in my shading, but I disagree as when I worked with my earlier works, I found that having more shades not only gives me more work to do, but it can create a higher level of realism that when not done right, can result in having my works fall under uncanny valley. This teaches me that less realistic does not always mean worse. Since we're working with ponies, which are definitely not very close to the realistic scale of styles, my style of shading works with very few shades, and it has worked well enough for the one month I've been doing pony art.

But whatever, I decided that instead of armchair-rationalizing stuff, I should probably do it in practice first and see what people think.

Edited by PixMeister
  • Brohoof 3

I think it is all down to personal preference...I prefer the look of gradual shading..as it is not so sudden...but both of them are fine pieces of art

However, some styles are more appealing to more people. Unless the right style wins by a landslide, I'm gonna stick with my simplistic style :P

However, some styles are more appealing to more people. Unless the right style wins by a landslide, I'm gonna stick with my simplistic style :P

You are the one who makes the art, not I ^^

who am I to tell you what you should and should not do. Art is expression of oneself afterall ♥

(edited)

You are the one who makes the art, not I ^^

who am I to tell you what you should and should not do. Art is expression of oneself afterall ♥

I believe that art should be more than just a picture; it has to be able to impact people or it's just a boring picture. Some techniques do this better than others, so if it's in my interest to know what techniques can make art that can better impact people, then it's in my interest to know if TheAshBad is on to something or not. My opinion of my shading technique is only my own opinion, and I only wanted to know more opinions. I can like my own stuff, but I only want to know if there are ways that can let me make stuff that not only I like, but even more people like.

EDIT: Better yet, this isn't only for me, but this thread should be useful for Ashbad too since we're both developing our pixelling skills.

Edited by PixMeister

The original style looks better in my opinion, gradual shading is better for clean art, but for pixelart, it's simply too rough. I'd say go with the original, but it's up to you.

The original style looks better in my opinion, gradual shading is better for clean art, but for pixelart, it's simply too rough. I'd say go with the original, but it's up to you.

Indeed, for pixel art stay simple.

I really like them both. I think the left one gives a more rounded appearance and makes it feel like it has more substance (which i like), though the right seems a lot cleaner to me and easy on the eye (which i also like). I went with the one on the right though.

(edited)

Left, it has more transition and detail with the shading. However the right is easier on the eyes.

I prefer the left...allot

You say it better than I, but I respectfully disagree

Edited by ShadowLadyEsme

This is hard because they are both good looking but I say the intermediate shading in general looks better. Especially the face and chest area. I would say in the plot area and part of the legs you have the shadows take too long to transition. Areas where direct light is hitting them usually have less of a transition area.

post-4116-0-68391400-1339108164.png

I just fiddled with it a bit to try and get it looking better. Either way she is a gorgeous picture and props to you.

I like the simple route the 4g ponies utilize, I often debated on shading out my concept arts, but it doesn't matter, because all my concept sketches end up getting painted anyways, and I try to stay in line with the simplicity used for the show.

I always approve of the term, simple is sweeter. Both versions you produced here are amazing, and in all honesty, it's just personal preference.

I favor the piece on the right, as it is more vibrant, lush with the colors, (obviously because of the amount of shading used) which I believe garners more attention, naturally.

However, this is just all in my opinion. I guess the real question is, which do you prefer? Radiance over detail? Or vis versa?

Great work btw!

• Brohoof 1