Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Celestia and Luna retire in Season 9?

DivineMist1000
Message added by Jeric

DO NOT POST SPOILERS IN THIS TOPIC. 

I think it would be fitting for the two of them to step down from their roles as princesses and have Twilight and her friends run the kingdom. 

After all that they’ve been through, the Royal Sisters could use a nice long vacation.

with_you__with_me_by_erica693992_d8zr9c5-fullview.jpg.9765d08a4ea205231752b018679ef8a9.jpg

Edited by DivineLight1000
  • Brohoof 1

This thread appears to be discussing MLP:FiM in some way, shape or form. Thus, it has been sentenced to Show Discussion.

NOTE: This is a SPECULATION thread only. Please do not post anything that you may know about the upcoming season. All spoilers should be discussed in the Season 9 spoiler forum. 

• Brohoof 1

I believe their retirement's legit. It's the final season after all, surely something like that has to happen as some kind of payoff for Twilight's journey. I also don't believe that Celestia was merely raising Twilight to be another princess, it's more likely to me that she had always been raising her as an heir.

I'm sorry, Luna did not spend a 1,000 years banished just to give up her position a few more years after regaining it, and as much as I love Twilight, she's not ready to take on that kind of power indefinitely, and that's not a bad thing.

A slice of life where they go on vacation, maybe even making a poor attempt to disguise themselves but fail to integrate becuase they're disconnected with the rest of regular Equestrian Society, that would be a most welcome episode, and it can be followed up by Twilight having to be in charge during that time and deal with a serious issue that isn't related to the princesses going missing because the tree of harmony is having a sick day. Lots of opportunity for entertainment and lesson learning in both of those.

• Brohoof 1

I think they shouldn't. Twilight as already busy with the school, friendship quests and her friends. Adding the rule of Equestria, it seems she can't work as well on all of her jobs...

3 hours ago, SharpWit said:

I'm sorry, Luna did not spend a 1,000 years banished just to give up her position a few more years after regaining it, and as much as I love Twilight, she's not ready to take on that kind of power indefinitely, and that's not a bad thing.

There's nothing suggesting she was ever meant to take over. Complement, or supplement, but not replace. First and foremost, she was raised to deal with Nightmare Moon. Her job is radically different from either of the sisters, which as far as we know, neither of them have ever done.

Also, if Twilight is taking over, we're right back to the "She's gonna live forever and see her friends die" thing that the writers apparently have said, "no that won't happen, what's wrong with you for even thinking it?"

• Brohoof 1

So I hadn't actually seen the Season 9 Trailer before commenting on this thread, had no idea that retirement was actually going to be brought up :sealed:

That being said, I don't think it's going to last. Princess's Celestia and Luna are too important to just leave the picture entirely, therefore I suspect they will use this as a test towards seeing if they can take an even more stepped back approach to ruling.

Super excited to see King Sombra back in action, and also just to see how he returns, because I have 2 ideas of how he could go about that.