Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has Western society become detached from nature?

ManaMinori

How many of us have actually seen a star-filled sky truly away from the city lights and pollution? How many have really roughed it in camping, not bringing the bells and whistles, but going out with no plans and the barest minimum, like most Australians do, to truly immerse yourselves in nature? Has Western society lost their connection to nature, to the point where it seems like it it being stamped out of existence and their every day lives entirely? 

• Brohoof 1

For the most part, it seems that they have and it's a damn shame. Even in small towns like mine, most people just stay in their house on the internet. There are tourists that come up here to camp and enjoy the rivers and lakes, but even that has become commercialized at this point. I still try to go take a hike in the mountains at least once a month and spend a night or two out in the woods by myself. It's really nice to disconnect from everything once in a while and not have the damn phone ringing every half hour.

• Brohoof 1

Well considering I do (VERY ) amateur bushcrafting I doubt many people minimal is the same as mine. Also, you have never seen really clear skies unless you have been in the middle of the deep ocean at night. 

But to keep it short I have done camping with a very little as in nothing more then I could hike in with. 

• Brohoof 1

Yep. It has.

80% of the population in the U.S. live in areas where the Milky Way disappears into the light polluted sky. It's sad. Humans are lighting up the night sky at an alarming rate, all because we're afraid of the dark or buy into the myth that more lights = less crime. And there's smartphones. I suspect most urban/suburban folks don't even bother to look up into the night sky.  

For me, the night sky is a source of wonder. I can clear my mind and disappear into the stars for a while. I'm lucky to be in the 20% club that can see the Milky Way from the backyard. I have Class 4 skies, which is fairly dark, but there's a light dome to the east. The Milky Way is simply brilliant when it's overhead!

I plan to visit a site that has pristine skies. Better enjoy it now. In 50 or 100 years from now, dark skies will be something you read about in history books.  :(

87f18b37b8ba0bfd822c19a99aa8f37f.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I really don't see the problem even if so. There are plenty of people who still love being out in nature. My parents are some of them. They love gardening and going camping. My ex-girlfriend also loved (well probably still does, IDK) nature, going backpacking and things like that. As for me? No, I do not like it. I do not like being out in the bright sun, I do not like any bit of heat, I do not like bugs, I do not like thinking of predator creatures (or even predatory humans) that might be out there with me, I do not like being out in the middle of nowhere without a bathroom, etc., etc.

With that said, I do see the beauty in the nature (but I can only be out in it during the winter, lol), and think that we should leave a lot of nature alone. And I think that people who like nature can go to those spaces. But as for me? I'll stay inside.Air-conditioned buildings are my comfort space. Is there something wrong with that?

Well it’s kinda hard to ignore the natures around me..but I don’t really got the time to sit around to enjoy it. So I guess that goes the same for most people. In other word, it’s not like we’re detaching away from it rather we just have no time for it.

It's a little hypocritical of me to say this (considering I live 90% of my life indoors and a lot of that using TVs, cell phones, or computers) but yes we have and it's a dying shame. Nature is beautiful, it really is. In Washington it may have been easier for me to admire with all of the evergreen trees, but even here in Texas there's beauty. 

Edited by Dusky, the Boy Queen
  • Brohoof 1

I think that all cultures and societies have to some degree. It seems though that neither side of any environmental debate realize that there is a balance to be struck with mankind’s mastery of nature. We can exploit material, but we should also be good stewards, which means preserving a balance and maintaining our surroundings.

Not really. City life has been more toxic than ever and a lot of people could also use some time away from the internet and social media. My family spends time and money just to get us in touch with nature. I even see a lot of people doing outdoor stuff like camping, kayaking, hiking, and fishing as a way to connect to nature and destress from their work. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, cause there's still country folk like me who prefer living far from the city lights and love spending time in nature...camping, hunting, and what not. 

• Brohoof 1

On 3/30/2019 at 8:30 AM, Phosphor said:

Yep. It has.

80% of the population in the U.S. live in areas where the Milky Way disappears into the light polluted sky. It's sad. Humans are lighting up the night sky at an alarming rate, all because we're afraid of the dark or buy into the myth that more lights = less crime. And there's smartphones. I suspect most urban/suburban folks don't even bother to look up into the night sky.  

For me, the night sky is a source of wonder. I can clear my mind and disappear into the stars for a while. I'm lucky to be in the 20% club that can see the Milky Way from the backyard. I have Class 4 skies, which is fairly dark, but there's a light dome to the east. The Milky Way is simply brilliant when it's overhead!

I plan to visit a site that has pristine skies. Better enjoy it now. In 50 or 100 years from now, dark skies will be something you read about in history books.  :(

87f18b37b8ba0bfd822c19a99aa8f37f.jpg

That’s not a myth. At least in urban planning, there’s the “broken window theory”, the idea that minor details in urban design can have a bigger impact in the community. Poor road lighting could lead to more crime, especially in alleyways away from the eyes of the public. At the very least, lighting is essential to make roads safer for pedestrians and cyclists.

real contributor to increasing light pollution is urban sprawl, however. Some cities like Los Angeles or Houston stretch a hundred miles wide and build tons of roads to only service huge suburban single-family homes. The suburban cul-de-sac and labyrinth like design uses up a ton of asphalt and electricity to run lampposts and pipe water and is becoming extremely unsustainable. 

As long as cities exist, there would always be some degree of light pollution, though people should do their best to limit it. A major solution is to simply overhaul our zoning laws and to stop encouraging development that only favors the automobile, and building denser housing. Admittedly that would worsen light pollution for anyone living in the city, but it would concentrate them into smaller areas and minimize its impact. In some European cities, the countryside is only less than an hour away from downtown. Some more minor solutions include modifying the design of lampposts or timing them with sensors, or using LEDs.

• Brohoof 2

On 3/30/2019 at 8:30 AM, Phosphor said:

Yep. It has.

I've never seen the milky way with the naked eye, and I've lived in very rural areas. (like Wyoming, the least populated state in the US) Apparently it's possible, if you're out on the open ocean. I've seen stars in all their glory, which is remarkable to see. Most people only see a very obscured view of the night sky.

At any rate, society (especially western society) is designed with people's comfort and infrastructure in mind... it's the antithesis of the natural world. The more populated the area you live in, the more distant you are from the "real" world. And it's known that being detached from the natural world is unhealthy, for your mind and your body. The thing most people don't realize is that it hurts us to hurt the world we live in, since we are and have always been a part of it. 

• Brohoof 1

There are kids today who've never seen a naturally growing tree, so in some ways, yes. It may seem grim. but eventually things will change, because change always happens. And it isn't just western society.

Edited by Self-Improvement Man

• 8 months later...

As a person who's grown up in the country, I think western society hasn't become detached from nature. There are still many people who go hiking, tend to gardens, and take walks in nature. I myself used to go walking in a nearby woods occasionally. Perhaps, however, with modern-day cities and technology, western society has become less attached to nature than many years ago.

• Brohoof 1

I live in the suburbs. So I see naturally growing trees all the time. Not in the city with tall buildings.

So, I'm a Western and not ignoring nature. Any trash I throw out, I make sure they're throw in the right bin

Japan is an example of a place that has a proper balance of having technological cities while still remaining true to nature. I think we could follow their example

• Brohoof 1

13 minutes ago, SparklingSwirls said:

Well, if you think so, then get off the forums and go into nature; it’s still around :P 

I like this post. Clear and to the point with a little humor

Yes! Yes yes yes! As a society, we've grown so detached to, well, even the little things in life. I am thankful for the conveniences of new technology, but the world is changing too fast because of it, and these changes are irreversible. And the more resources we use up, the more we just keep taking away from nature.

I'm afraid what the world would look like in 10 years. We do so much damage to nature, sometimes without noticing.