Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Meet Mary Sue {Part 2}

Pripyat Pony

Part one can be found here: Click

In this topic, we will explore different types of Sue, what to avoid, how to make a character special without descending into Sueishness and other such important things. First, I'd like to introduce you to Queen Rowanna Mystick Raven Angle.

2UTioy0.png

"Hi everypony! I'm so happy to be here."

You have probably seen OCs like her around. Basically, she's a mess. What's with those antlers, anyway? Sadly, a lot of people fall into the trap of believing that in order to make a character interesting, they have to have lots of extra bits added, whether that be powers, looks, accessories etc. The thing is, your OC can be special without being this terrifying creature; all you have to do is have balance. For example, if a character is beautiful, they could also be vain. If they are powerful, they could be antisocial and introverted. A character who has exceptional talent at something could be boastful. A popular OC could be spiteful. Flaws should counter positive aspects and really affect a character in a major way.

"I'm the mother of Celestia and Luna, and I'm far more powerful than both put together. I have every stallion and every mare wanting to be my mate. I can do better magic, fly faster and am stronger than any unicorn, alicorn, pegasus or earth pony. Everypony loves me and wants to be just like me."

See a problem here? While an OC can be related to a canon (it just takes a lot of work to look and sound convincing), it's generally not recommended in this way. Why haven't we seen any evidence of this parent thruout the entire series, hmm? Also, an OC being the most powerful, most loved and the best at everything is boring, and makes it pointless to even think about roleplaying with them as they will simply take the spotlight every time. This character exists for one reason only: wish fulfillment.

Have any questions to ask Queen Rowanna? Come on, be brave. XD

(edited)

Well, what are your thoughts on Mad Munchkin's videos about Mary Sues and Alicorn OCS...

(this one just bc funny and mary sue)

Oh and this one on the Pony Generator

and this one

Edited by Scarlet Rose

• 2 weeks later...

@Quinch

"Like, that's cuz I'm so powerful, I can become invisible. But I'm actually there, you know. Every time you see a battle? It's actually me doing powerful magic, while invisible, to save the day."

@Dream Walker

"They're just jealous. They wish they could be as awesome as me." *smug grin*

1 hour ago, Pripyat Pony said:

"Like, that's cuz I'm so powerful, I can become invisible. But I'm actually there, you know. Every time you see a battle? It's actually me doing powerful magic, while invisible, to save the day."

That's... actually surprisingly clever.

• Brohoof 1

Now, to meet some of the different types of Mary Sue that abound in fanfiction and roleplay. If you are ever unfortunate enough to meet one of these abominations, the only thing to do is kill it with fire. You should also try and avoid having one as your OC as doing so will ensure that nopony will want to roleplay with you, ever. Note: As Mary Sues can appear in every fandom known to humankind, I am using generic images to illustrate the types of Sue. I will post five at a time, so as not to overload everypony with the sheer horrificness of Suedom. Also, there are a few which are generally only in a few fandoms, but these Sues have been known to migrate to other fandoms where they appear even more out of place and awful than they do in the fandom they originated from.

9pqmhy.png

Goth Sue.

This Sue is oh so edgy and pseudo goffick it makes your head hurt. She will often be a vampire, tho with no negative connotations and will appear to suffer from some kind of anger management problem. Goth Sue will always be seen as justified in attacking anyone that her creator dislikes in the original work, and no-one will ever call her out on her attitude problem. She will always dress in black and what the creator sees as typical "goffick" clothes.

2q1xoya.png

Emo Sue.

Sometimes confused with Goth Sue, cuz she also tends to dress in black, but there the similarity ends. Where Goth Sue would attack, Emo Sue would instead creep into a corner and sob, wail and whine. Everyone immediately rushes to her side and comforts her, cept for the designated bitch of the fanfic, who will be portrayed as being spiteful and mean cuz she doesn't dance attendance on Emo Sue. Emo Sue will be constantly going on and on about her tragic past and this will be focused on to the detriment of everything else, even important canon events.

w0q49c.png

Anti-Sue.

This Sue type is created when a Suethor tries to fix her character to not be a Sue, but instead of actually working on her character and her story, she instead creates Anti-Sue, who is ugly, stupid and useless, but is still the focus of the story and the one who everyone loves. She might be clumsy, but is still entrusted with important tasks. She may be ugly, but all the guys adore her. In short, Anti-Sue is still a Sue, just one showing her true colours at the start.

2wp4k8z.png

Sexy Lamp Sue.

This Sue's name is taken from the Sexy Lamp Test; basically, if you can take out a female character and replace her with a sexy lamp, then she fails as a character. Sexy Lamp Sue is that character. She adds nothing whatsoever to the plot, doesn't affect the story in any way, and basically doesn't have any point to her. This is the worst type of Sue; bad as they may be, other Sue types at least make a contribution, however awful, to the canon plot. Sexy Lamp Sue just exists cuz her creator wants her to. She is usually a self insert.

t50xoi.png

Copy-Cat Sue.

This Sue is, to put it bluntly, a Suethor's favourite character, cept with a few extras added on. For example, a My Little Pony loving Suethor would bring in her character as a colour swap of her favourite character Twilight Sparkle, who is exactly like her in every way (cept better at everything) and is introduced into her fanfic as "Twilight's long lost sister". This shows the Suethor's incredibly lazy writing; she hasn't created a character, just copied an existing canon. Copy-Cat Sue is extremely annoying due to this, especially in cases like the example shows as it is something which, canon wise, is just not possible.

• 4 months later...

Are you soooooooooooo powerful that you could make a black hole even YOU couldn't get out of?

Would you prove it?  *stares pointedly*