Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

humor All in Good Fun

Early Sunsets

I wrote something for April Fool's on Fimfic, and thought I might as well post it here, too. Feedback is appreciated. I'd love to improve.

And Then it Rained for 40 Days and 40 Nights

Rainbow Dash glanced back at the pegasus trailing her for the fourth or fifth time. Normally she didn't mind fans following her so they could see how awesome she was, but she was doing something rather important. That, and this particular pegasus didn't seem to have her head screwed on straight.

Rainbow sighed and stopped mid-air to turn and face the grey pegasus, letting the cloud she was pushing float slowly away. "Derpy, can't you fly in literally any other direction? I've got some place I really need to be, and I can't have somepony following me," Rainbow said. Derpy flared her wings out to slow down, but instead ended up tumbling head over hooves, nearly crashing into Rainbow. "Especially not somepony as accident-prone as you," Rainbow thought, raising an eyebrow at Derpy after she cannoned past.

Derpy managed to right herself and shook her head vigorously. She turned to Rainbow and beamed at her. "I've got a letter for you. Twilight said it was super urgent," she said, stretching a hoof to rummage through her mail bag.

"Couldn't you have called out or something? You've been following me for a while." Rainbow glanced at the cloud, which had drifted quite a ways away. If she wanted to pull off this prank, she had to act quick, or else she'd have to start all over.

Derpy raised her hooves in a shrug, holding a crumpled cream colored letter with an elegant red wax seal on the back. The name 'Rainbow Dash' was written in careful calligraphy on the front, with the word 'URGENT' neatly underneath it in bold letters. "I was eating muffins," she said.

Rainbow turned her head to look at the objects that had fallen out of Derpy's bag when she pulled the letter out, and were now plummeting towards the ground. "You mean those?"

Derpy looked down at the falling muffins and let out a gasp. "My muffins!" She suddenly shot downwards after the muffins, leaking more muffins out of the still-open bag.

Rainbow shook her head at the departing pegasus and grabbed the letter that was floating in her place. She brushed the muffin crumbs off the wrinkled paper and looked it over. She frowned. "Urgent? Couldn't she just send Spike or teleport over here and tell me herself? That would be faster than sending a letter. Not to mention more reliable," she said, glancing back at Derpy, who had only just realized the rest of her muffins had also escaped.

"Eh. I'm sure it's not big deal," Rainbow said, shrugging and letting the letter float free. "If it were important she'd tell me herself." She turned back to the cloud and flew over to it before resuming her journey. "Besides, this prank is going to make up for anything I'm missing."

~~

Rainbow Dash pushed the last cloud into place, tucking it tightly into the only remaining gap. "Perfect," she said, looking over her handiwork. "Now it's time to let it loose."

She glanced at the perfectly clear sky over Ponyville. Nopony there would be expecting the completely insane amount of water that was about to be dumped on them. Rainbow suppressed a giggle behind one hoof. "This is totally gonna be the funniest thing anypony has seen in years."

Rainbow flew over to the other side of the massive cloud and scanned for any gaps. Luckily it seemed like all the clouds had completely merged, so she'd be able to push the whole thing without worrying about it breaking apart. She poked the saturated cloud, which made a light squelching sound. Grinning, she flew underneath the cloud and carefully began pushing it upwards, above the peaks of the mountains it was hidden behind. The cloud was as large as the entire town, and probably held enough water to fill the lake two or three times over. She had to be careful not to screw this up.

The huge cloud left an equally large shadow on the earth below as it moved across the sky. Rainbow glanced down at the shadow and giggled again. "They are not going to expect this." She maneuvred the cloud carefully above Ponyville, covering the whole town in darkness. "Yes. Right there."

Across Ponyville, ponies looked up to the sky as the sun was blotted out. They were understandably confused, considering they were supposed to have clear skies for the next few days. A worryingly dark cloud directly above them was definitely not scheduled to happen that week. A few of them suspected foul play, but none of them predicted what was about to happen.

Rainbow flew above the cloud and grabbed onto it, halting its movement. She checked over the edge one last time to make sure it was in the correct position before heading back to the center of the cloud. She bit her bottom lip, her shoulders trembling with humorous anticipation. "And now, for the final touch..."

Rainbow's hoof came down sharply on the cloud, unleashing a torrential downpour worse than any Ponyville had ever seen before. Screams suddenly picked up from the town below, and Rainbow collapsed onto the cloud, dissolving into laughter. She could imagine the mass confusion at first, then the probable annoyance that would follow, before everypony finally would realize just how totally amazing of a prank this was.

Rainbow wiped her eyes, crying from how much she was laughing. She had her forelegs wrapped around her aching sides, and she was having trouble sucking in enough air to keep up her laughter. "I wonder how they're reacting right now," Rainbow thought, composing herself enough to roll over and poke her head through the cloud. Her laughter died off, however, as she realized just what was happening.

While a few of the ponies had immediately ran inside when the rain started, many others were still stuck out in the downpour, nearly shoving each other out of the way to make it indoors as soon as possible. She saw a few ponies running around panickedly, holding sopping papers or trying to shield their bags with their bodies. Rainbow flinched. "Okay, so maybe this wasn't as good of an idea as I had thought." She glanced at the portion of town that was slightly downhill, and noticed some pretty serious flooding that had began. "I should probably move the cloud."

As Rainbow went to pull her head out of the cloud, she noticed a bad tempered purple pony stamp through the mud out from the Castle courtyard, flanked by two more equally upset princesses. They were all soaked through, their manes plastered to their shaking bodies. The purple pony glanced up at the cloud and caught Rainbow's eye, her horn beginning to glow. Rainbow heard Twilight's angry, amplified voice that carried deafeningly through the downpour and shook her entire body.

"Rainbow Dash!!"

Uh oh.

Maybe she should have read Twilight's letter after all.