Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If we had cybernetic animals, would you pet them?

KillerKingBakudan

I've seen Alita: Battle Angel ten times now, and every time this bar scene comes up, I'm always feeling torn on the subject.

john-park-ba-scene-final.thumb.jpg.7bf13badae1c144174d37e8bfb5dcdfa.jpg

In this universe, any living organism can be revived as long as the brain is preserved. I imagine these dogs were rescued after living through a situation that utterly destroyed their natural bodies. They're more or less the same as they were, except now they're all metal and no fur.

If a dog, or any other animal could retain the same personality after such a transition, would you pet them the same as if it never happened? Or would the metal just be too inconvenient?

Admittedly, I am completely unfamiliar with the source material at hand. Are these cybernetic animals capable of feeling the same sensation a pet would provide an actual dog? I'd imagine a mechanical dog wouldn't feel much if anything if they were pet as one would a normal dog. For myself, I'd say I'd only pet them if they could feel it, and if that sensation was at least remotely pleasant in nature.

Just now, JetPistol said:

Admittedly, I am completely unfamiliar with the source material at hand. Are these cybernetic animals capable of feeling the same sensation a pet would provide an actual dog? I'd imagine a mechanical dog wouldn't feel much if anything if they were pet as one would a normal dog. For myself, I'd say I'd only pet them if they could feel it, and if that sensation was at least remotely pleasant in nature.

All that's really known about them is they sense pleasure from eating. Cyborgs do have taste receptors, and of course they have to eat to keep their brains nourished.

Beyond that, it's not known if they can feel anything through touch. Alita can, but that's only after she gets her Berserker body.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'd totally pet them! They're good dogs Brent!

I imagine they'd still have a temperature sensor and can feel some vibrations, but just knowing you're there makes many pets happy. I'd give it more repetitive taps and strokes like I might on a nice car instead of scratching, but show some form of affection for sure. It does just as good for me as it does them.

I would because it’s a human’s habit which we cannot help ourselves.

I would. Not sure if I would own one. I prefer a flesh and blood pet. Plus it just makes me think of Robo Puppy from Futurama. 

• 1 month later...

Wouldn't it be just easier to just build a robot dog that behaves like a normal one?

The metal is huge inconvenience to the dog that probably does not understand why it has the metal body in the first place.

So I probably won't pet it.

Probably, but I wouldn't like it as much as the real thing. My cat is perfect the way she is.