Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your favourite aspect of the MLP fandom?

LarApplejack

I agree, some of the covers are beautiful.

Spoiler

Exhibit A

It's hard to pick a favorite aspect. Maybe it's coincidence with the timing and finally knowing what to do with my life, but I've just felt so much happier in general since joining the fandom. I thought I had found a wonderful group of people back when I became a furry (about 8 years ago, before that fandom went all to hell), but the people here are so much nicer. I guess it makes sense, considering that's basically what the entire show is based around, but still. Quirks aside, I've never met a better group of people.

The fanfiction, it's kept entertained for years and offers an almost limitless amount of stories, while the quality if fanfiction ranges from bad to good I can still enjoy a fanfiction no matter what it is as long as it interests me and that the author can write without spelling anything wrong.

1 minute ago, Dark defender said:

without spelling anything wrong.

That's a pretty damn high bar, my dude. Even my favorite fanfiction of all time still has the occasional spelling error :o 

Just now, JetPistol said:

That's a pretty damn high bar, my dude. Even my favorite fanfiction of all time still has the occasional spelling error :o 

Well I don't really mind if they spell the occasional word wrong but if they are constantly spelling things wrong it may make it frustrating to read, if it's like one word a chapter I wouldn't mind too much however if it's like 50 or 100 words a chapter constantly that's when  I'll be put off of reading the fanfics.

(edited)

The community. While I get it there are some bad ones...but majority I've encountered so far are more tolerable compared to the other fandoms. 

Edited by TBD

53 minutes ago, Dark defender said:

Well I don't really mind if they spell the occasional word wrong but if they are constantly spelling things wrong it may make it frustrating to read, if it's like one word a chapter I wouldn't mind too much however if it's like 50 or 100 words a chapter constantly that's when  I'll be put off of reading the fanfics.

I definitely agree with you there. A constant barrage of spelling errors breaks immersion like crazy. Another pet peeve of mine is amateurish sentence structure and other general vernacular shortcomings. One of the (admittedly numerous) reasons I simply refuse to even contemplate writing my own fic is due to how harsh a critic I am lol. It'd be bad for my ego, no doubt <3

I take it you have read quite a few fan fictions judging by your claim that they are indeed your favorite aspect of the fandom. I'm always looking for recommendations, so feel free to shoot a few in my direction. I might just make a thread later down the line in reference to my favorite fic with the intention of getting recs from the forum as a collective. Horror/ Psychological thriller is my favorite genre in reference to most passively-consumed entertainment media (tv shows, movies, books, etc). This applies tenfold for fanfiction. 

Spoiler

Strangely, i like my vidya to be as light and fluffy as possible. I know it's weird, but for some reason when I'm in control of the progression, I simply cannot stomach horror. Even lighter stuff like Bioshock takes every fiber of my being to get through ^^;

Its creativity. MLP inspires people to create amazing things, from fanfiction and theories to art and music. I particularly like how fans literally created personalities of a number of background ponies, and then some of them even became canon. Also, ponification of everything!

23 hours ago, JetPistol said:

I definitely agree with you there. A constant barrage of spelling errors breaks immersion like crazy. Another pet peeve of mine is amateurish sentence structure and other general vernacular shortcomings. One of the (admittedly numerous) reasons I simply refuse to even contemplate writing my own fic is due to how harsh a critic I am lol. It'd be bad for my ego, no doubt <3

I take it you have read quite a few fan fictions judging by your claim that they are indeed your favorite aspect of the fandom. I'm always looking for recommendations, so feel free to shoot a few in my direction. I might just make a thread later down the line in reference to my favorite fic with the intention of getting recs from the forum as a collective. Horror/ Psychological thriller is my favorite genre in reference to most passively-consumed entertainment media (tv shows, movies, books, etc). This applies tenfold for fanfiction. 

Reveal hidden contents

Strangely, i like my vidya to be as light and fluffy as possible. I know it's weird, but for some reason when I'm in control of the progression, I simply cannot stomach horror. Even lighter stuff like Bioshock takes every fiber of my being to get through ^^;

I do read countless amounts of fanfiction and I have some recommendations, although most of them aren't of the horror genre.

(edited)

Nothing anymore. Maybe fan works, but other than that, there's absolutely nothing worthwhile or likeable about it.

Edited by PCutter

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Pretty much everything. The fan content, how positive the community thinks (tho, they can sometimes think so little too positively), etc. There are some bad apples in this community But hey, almost all communities have that!