Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who is going to raise the sun and moon?

RulesofRarity

Remember that Celestia and Luna didn't always raise and lower the moon. Starswirl and a team of unicorns did the job with the Unicorns slowly lose their magic after a while.

@Dark Qiviut has the better answer though.

• Brohoof 4

On 4/4/2019 at 5:58 PM, Dark Qiviut said:

Celly and Luna will likely still raise 'em. They just won't be bound by the royal duties anymore.

Y'think the same will apply to Luna's dream job?

Well Rainbow Dash assumed they would be taking over all their duties so maybe they will just give Twilight all the powers or divide them among all the Mane 6. This is why they needed more than a few days though. These questions are important!

• Brohoof 1

As some said before, Dash was not contradicted when she assumed Luna's dream guardian job thing would pass to them. It's possible that the sisters will maintain their sun and moon powers, just separate from ruling. It's also possible they will return them to unicorns. All of the unicorns who have powerful magic have stars as part of their cutie marks. They could return to doing that job that the sisters assumed at the start of their reign. Or Twilight could do it herself, probably. Celestia and Luna are good at those jobs, but Twilight is good at magic generally. Whatever spell they use to put the moon and sun on auto-pilot could easily be mastered by Twilight.

But then, the sisters would be unable to perform what their cutie marks tell them to do. I think in the end the sisters will continue to do those jobs, or they will disappear entirely from the world. The first seems most likely to me.

12 hours ago, Zestanor said:

As some said before, Dash was not contradicted when she assumed Luna's dream guardian job thing would pass to them. 

That would wreck their friendship dynamic. If one or more of them get perma-placed on the nightshift, they'll never be able to see each other for more than a few minutes per day. 

1 hour ago, BornAgainBrony said:

That would wreck their friendship dynamic. If one or more of them get perma-placed on the nightshift, they'll never be able to see each other for more than a few minutes per day. 

I definitely agree with you. I think at the end I don't think any of the Mane 6 will move to Canterlot, because if one goes, they all have to go. But Applejack and Fluttershy are tied strongly to Ponyville and it would not make sense for them to leave.

• 1 year later...
On 4/4/2019 at 4:13 PM, RulesofRarity said:

Assuming Celestia and Luna do retire after the Season 9 premiere, who is going to raise the sun and moon in their absence?

i have a theory that the School of Gifted Unicorns is a way that Celestia finds a unicorn that has the capability to rule Equestria. (ended up being Twilight) Along with this unicorns have and can only perform magical capabilities that go along with their talents(stated in season 1.) So i believe most very powerful unicorns since they have either suns,stars,or moons as their cutie marks would be able to raise the sun and moon as alicorns but it will take a lot of training. Candace would not be able too do this since her talent is spreading love and the moon and sun have nothing to do with that. So i believe when twilight becomes older (an of age alicorn but that’s another theory i have for another day, which includes the moving magical mane) she will be able to raise the sun and moon. And she is at this age in the last episode of My Little Pony 

"Between Dark and Dawn" had Celestia give Twilight some gadget enchanted with her and Luna's magic, designed to enable any unicorn to move the sun and moon. Hopefully they'd at least be available for technical support if anything were to go wrong with it.

On 4/4/2019 at 9:30 PM, Will Guide said:

Remember that Celestia and Luna didn't always raise and lower the moon. Starswirl and a team of unicorns did the job with the Unicorns slowly lose their magic after a while.

I doubt they'd ever be so heartless as to force unicorn after unicorn after unicorn to permanently lose their magic so they could avoid doing something they can do fairly easily.

Though if it came to that, one would think that it'd be a simple matter to increase the size of the group (before Celestia, it was only five unicorns plus Starswirl), so that each one doesn't get over-exerted. That and/or start working on a cure, some spell or potion to recharge unicorns who get drained from sun duty.

• Brohoof 1

On 4/4/2019 at 2:58 PM, Dark Qiviut said:

Celly and Luna will likely still raise 'em. They just won't be bound by the royal duties anymore.

I think it will be a coin operated system. Just as a precaution in case Twilight is sick one day. :twi: