Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Pokémon or Digimon or Both?

OdellaLark

Please for the love of God do not argue on this thread, just say which one you like and what you like about it. Don’t insult either side okay. 

Personally I’ve always enjoyed both. The only thing that kind of gives Pokémon a teeny bit of an upper hand (not enough to consider it better than the other just like a tiny lift above) is that I never really played much in the way of Digimon’s games(I’ve only played the first 2 Digimon world games on the ps1)but have played multiple Pokémon games.(as in I think a game or two in the case of gen 2; for each gen, except the gen 3 remakes and ultra moon)

As for the anime? 

I’ve seen about the same amount on both sides. I’ll admit Digimon’s later series aren’t great but I can at least watch them every now and then. 

Same goes for Pokémon.   

How bout you. 

Which side. Or are you like me and choose to stand in the middle. 

Designs? 

Honestly, I don’t have a side here; both sides have their good ones and their ridiculous ones and the kind of stupid ones. Like granted Digimon has wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more mons than Pokémon so there’s a chance there could be a lot more dumb ideas for a mon on their side to you but eh.  

• Brohoof 1

I've liked Pokemon ever since 1999. I only really had an interest in Digimon for a very short time during the summer of 2000. That's all I remember of me liking Digimon. It's not that I hate it, it just faded out quickly, whereas I've always kept interest in Pokemon. I think it's because I grew really attached to Pokemon games, and have kept on playing them ever since. I never played a Digimon game, so there was nothing to keep me holding onto it.

• Brohoof 2

Digimon is still an actual thing? :blink:

But I pick Pokémon. It has been a part of my life for a long time and it has become probably my favorite video game franchise of all time, and it's had plenty of influence on me. As for Digimon? It had literally zero influence on me and I generally couldn't care much less about Digimon as a whole.

Edited by Dusky, the Boy Queen
  • Brohoof 1

Pokemon Pokemon Pokemon. Just Pokemon. Not that I hate Digimon tho. Just always been a fan of the creatures kept in baseball sized capsules. I don't care for the Pokemon anime though, the games is what I like most

I never really understood the comparison much other than they're series about creatures who can fight and that they both have Mon at the end of their names. They're pretty different franchises otherwise

Edited by Odyssey
  • Brohoof 1

Between just the Animes, I enjoyed both franchices, but my history with both couldn't be more different.

Believe it or not in my senior year in high school from 2007-08, the Digimon Anime episodes were on being rerun on the Jetix Block in the morning on Toon Disney before school. Two episodes every morning from Monday through Friday from the first Series shown in America, then Tamers, then Frontier played and the latest season known as Data Squad aired new episodes on Saturday. In a single year I saw four seasons worth of Digimon very consistently due to reruns.My relationship with Digimon is short but easier to sum up compared to Pokemon.

Warning: The rest of this post will be more about Pokemon, but this is my personal history with the Anime and even the games, ok?

As for Pokemon Anime, I saw most of the Indigo League on VHS tapes and played through most of Pokemon Yellow in the early 2000s. 

(Never owned a copy of Gold and Silver, but later on I would play through Johto via the Heart Gold Gen 2 remake in 2009)

In addition to missing out on Gold and Silver, lost track of the show around the time of G3 (Ruby and Sapphire), so I missed most of the Anime that cover Gen 2 and 3. However I did see all the big Movies up to Pokémon the Movie: White - Victini and Zekrom, later on in life IIRC.

But then I re-discovered my interest in the main Anime show around 2006 thanks to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon special reinvigorating my interest, so I ended up watching reruns of Advanced Battle, Battle Frontier and all the seasons that take place in Sinnoh, since Pokemon Diamond and its updated version, Platinum, were the first core games I had beaten.  As in seeing the end credits, I consider a game beat.

However, I stopped watched the Anime partway through B&W 1, but I did get to end credits of Video Game White version in 2011. Haven't really watched nor played any of the main Pokemon games or Anime since then.

Tried to get back in using Pokemon X, but I lost interest again before I could even beat the 1st gym.

Other than a demo or promos, I never played or watched anything relating to Sun & Moon.

With Sword and Shield coming to Nintendo Switch, I might finally return.

Basically, with Pokemon, I've had an on/off relationship with the main core games, and my interest in Pokemon Anime reflected that. Also, I think this page image from TV Tropes article on Popularity Polynomial sums up my relationship with it:

rsz_comic146_5639.gif.2f28af1c00435ec2a9501a07becf1582.gif

TL;DR: I enjoy both Animes, but my history with Digimon was shorter, but most remembered and consistent in choosing to watch while Pokemon Anime was longer but have an on/off relationship.

Edited by Will Guide
  • Brohoof 1

I lean more towards Digimon but both has become bad as new generation progressed. 

I haven't watched enough Digimon to make a full assessment, though I remember the voice acting being horrible in the original show. However, I personally think the Pokemon anime, especially the original run, is absolutely dreadful. Yes, it is a show from my childhood, but watching it now makes me want to jab breadsticks into my eyes. The voice acting is bad, the plots are bad, the villains are bad, everything about the show is bad except for it giving us the designs we love for the games. The games are the only good things to come out of Pokemon, which is something I cannot say for Digimon, but as a show Pokemon to me is just bad. Even then I haven't been into the newest games either because they've been trying to push a story into them and just like the show, these guys cannot write a story worth anything that isn't filled to the brim with terrible characters and cliches.

• Brohoof 1

I don't play either the Pokémon or Digimon games, and the Pokémon anime's so bland and boring. I grew up with the Digimon anime since I started watching it in 2000 (watched Season 1-5), although I haven't seen Fusion.

I actually don't mind both. But if I had to pick a favorite, it'd be Digimon. 

Yes, I watched the show, played the games (Stadium and Snap) and even played in the official card game league.  

But Digimon was just cooler. Yes, I watched Pokemon when it was on, but I made myself get up early to watch the new episode of Digimon. Don't have many Pokemon toys but I do have plenty of Digimon ones. The character and monster designs were cooler, the characters were more fleshed out, the conflict and plot were more engaging, especially with Season 3 (which really should be Generation 2). Watched Digimon all the way through Series 4, while I stopped watching Pokemon during season 6. 

Also I prefer the underlying premise of Digimon, working together with monsters to save the world, rather than the one in Pokemon, which is capturing monsters and making them fight eachother. 

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I like both Pokémon and Digimon. However, I am a bigger fan of Pokémon and I always have been. I will always be a big Pokémon nerd.

IMG_0708.JPG

• Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...

The Digimon anime is actually quite well made but man pokémon all the way. I always hated digimon for being a pokemon ripoff.

• 4 weeks later...

Pokémon will always have a bigger impact on me because I've continued to play the main series games through the years, as well as still liking the anime for its relentless optimism while still being somewhat focused on the competition (although I've not seen the Sun & Moon anime or beyond). That said, I do like Digimon a lot as well, especially Adventure, 02, and Tamers. I've never played any of the games, though.

Design-wise, I think a lot of the Digimon look cooler than a lot of the Pokémon, but both franchises have some great (and some terrible) designs. Digimon does slightly win out, though, because of designs like Devimon, Megidramon, and Wargreymon. Devimon's actually made such an impression on me that when I think of Voldemort, I see Devimon.

You don't need to worry about me when it comes to Pokémon and Digimon. I was there during the height of that 'conflict' so I know what happened between the two fandoms--they were some of the good times of my life. To answer the question, I prefer both brands these days. Both have their positives and negatives, and it's such things that continue to keep me invested in both.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not as big on Pokemon as I was as a kid, but I do have more history with it. While I've had exposure to Digimon, it was never enough to get me invested, so Pokemon it is.

Edited by Cash_In