Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do all ponies have slightly magical hooves/extra flexibility?

GuillermoGage

(edited)

The show does a fairly decent job of not making the ponies too human-like, as in, they don't seem to be able to ever strut around upright or or use objects that would actually require multiple long fingers and opposable thumbs.

While unicorns can levitate just about anything that they could physically carry, I think that, since the other species have at least quasi-magical powers with the weather and the earth's crops, that they can make light objects move or hover slightly when they put it up to their hooves, like a sort of magneticy-suctiony feel. That's how they are able to turn pages in books, and hold other objects.

Also, the "knee" joints in their hooves can bend forward and backward; I've seen Rainbow Dash do it before., and they seem to be able to bend the ends of their front hooves a bit, like wrists.

This is basically a purely musculoskeletal, biological feature, however these extra joints do not prevent them from functioning as equestrian creatures, they can still gallop at full stride, and if they need to, they can "stiffen" joints so they wont bend in a direction that is not needed at the moment.

I think of when Rainbow Dash does stretches, and her front legs at least go backward, like a goose, and of all the times she's been knocked back, sliding onto the ground, and her "front knees" have never buckled back in that direction, toward her body.

Edited by GuillermoGage
  • Brohoof 1

Well... if horse hooves were used in glue in real life, then it follows (I guess) that pony hooves are somehow... glueish? I don't know?

*Thanks Celestia for no rep system*

(edited)

post-1372-0-26016000-1338336601_thumb.jpg

Pretty self-explanatory.

I forgot to mention that I correctly guessed that the image file title revealed that this is from an artist on deviantart, and commented there straightaway. Edited by GuillermoGage

Hmm... That question has been floating on my head for quite a while now, and I still can't figure out an answer. Not only the grabbing things part, but I seriously wonder how did earth ponies build their homes and manage to work the land. Granted, they can plant seeds, but how are they supposed to, say, harvest all the food?

Using logic in a show about magical talking ponies...... that was intended to be for little girls.....

Anyways...... I support post #1

I was wondering about this before, too. For example, making birds nests with hooves? Making fancy clothing with hooves? Playing Battleship with hooves? etc....

At the same time, the ponies appear to have trouble eating a drinking with hooves. At least in "Read it and Weep".

Using logic in a show about magical talking ponies...... that was intended to be for little girls.....

Anyways...... I support post #1

Does your brohoof include the part about them having more joints than real-life ponies, horse, and four-legged creatures? I think that is also important.